Trump Has Sabotaged America’s Coronavirus Response

ESEWKkcWsAAxPdG
Fake News: Media Hoaxes: No, Trump Did Not Call Coronavirus a Hoax, and No, Fauci Was Not “Muzzled”.

The media seems intent on proving over and over again that they cannot be trusted. Having botched their sky-is-falling Russia, Ukraine, and the infamous “two scoops” scandal, they are now all-in proclaiming—completely incorrectly—that President Trump called the coronavirus a hoax.

He did not. In fact, their response to what Trump actually said demonstrates perfectly the point he was making.

Even the AP even took lying Democrats to task for their lies about the Trump administration’s response to and preparedness for the outbreak in an article entitled, “AP FACT CHECK: Democrats distort coronavirus readiness.”

Democratic presidential contenders are describing the federal infectious-disease bureaucracy as rudderless and ill-prepared for the coronavirus threat because of budget cuts and ham-handed leadership by President Donald Trump. That’s a distorted picture. Trump cut the budget.​

The broader point about there being “nobody here” to coordinate the response sells short what’s in place to handle an outbreak.​

The public health system has a playbook to follow for pandemic preparation — regardless of who’s president or whether specific instructions are coming from the White House. Those plans were put into place in anticipation of another flu pandemic, but are designed to work for any respiratory-borne disease.​

Responding to the untruths spewing from Democrats and the media, Trump accurately noted that their fear-mongering and misrepresentation of his administration’s readiness were politically motivated attacks, another hoax ginned up on a foundation of lies, another example of TDS-addled lefties run amok.

Here’s what the president actually said:

Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. Coronavirus. They’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs, you say, “How’s President Trump doing?” They go, “Oh, not good, not good.” They have no clue; they don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa. They can’t count their votes!​

One of my people came up to me and said, “Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was one a perfect conversation. They tried anything, they tried it over and over. They’ve been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning, they lost, it’s all turning. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.”​

But you know, we did something that’s been pretty amazing. We have 15 people in this massive country, and because of the fact that we won early, we won early, we could’ve had a lot more than that. We’re doing great. Our country is doing so great. We are so unified. We are so unified.​

Trump’s remarks are not about the coronavirus itself but are a response to the falsehoods Democrats are spreading with the sole purpose of making this outbreak his Katrina. Their unfounded attacks, Trump says, are the hoax, the big lie, intended to undermine him with outrageous and untrue claims.

How does the media leap to the defense of Democrats? By attempting to undermine him with the outrageous and untrue claim that he said the coronavirus itself is a hoax.

Fake News CNBC: Trump says the coronavirus is Democrats’ new ‘hoax’
Lying Politico: Trump rallies his base to treat coronavirus as a ‘hoax’
Fake News ABC via AP: Trump lashes out at Dems, calls coronavirus their new ‘hoax’
Lying CNBC: Trump calls outbreak a ‘hoax,’ South Korea has record jump in cases
Fake News Politico: Biden blasts Trump for calling coronavirus a ‘hoax’
Fake News The Hill: Democrat gets in heated exchange with Pompeo at hearing: ‘Do you believe coronavirus is a hoax?’
Lying MSLSD: Michael Moore: Trump calling coronavirus a ‘hoax’ is ‘dangerous’

Needless to say, there’s been a lot of pushback on Twitter.

When Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of the World Health Organization (WHO), declared the Wuhan coronavirus a public health emergency of international concern on Thursday, he praised China for taking “unprecedented” steps to control the deadly virus. “I have never seen for myself this kind of mobilization,” he noted. “China is actually setting a new standard for outbreak response.”

The epidemic control efforts unfolding today in China—including placing some 100 million citizens on lockdown, shutting down a national holiday, building enormous quarantine hospitals in days’ time, and ramping up 24-hour manufacturing of medical equipment—are indeed gargantuan. It’s impossible to watch them without wondering, “What would we do? How would my government respond if this virus spread across my country?”

For the United States, the answers are especially worrying because the government has intentionally rendered itself incapable. In 2018, the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure. In numerous phone calls and emails with key agencies across the U.S. government, the only consistent response I encountered was distressed confusion. If the United States still has a clear chain of command for pandemic response, the White House urgently needs to clarify what it is, not just for the public but for the government itself, which largely finds itself in the dark.

When Ebola broke out in West Africa in 2014, President Barack Obama recognized that responding to the outbreak overseas, while also protecting Americans at home, involved multiple U.S. government departments and agencies, none of which were speaking to one another. Basically, the U.S. pandemic infrastructure was an enormous orchestra full of talented, egotistical players, each jockeying for solos and fame, refusing to rehearse, and demanding higher salaries—all without a conductor. To bring order and harmony to the chaos, rein in the agency egos, and create a coherent multiagency response overseas and on the homefront, Obama anointed a former vice presidential staffer, Ronald Klain, as a sort of “epidemic czar” inside the White House, clearly stipulated the roles and budgets of various agencies, and placed incident commanders in charge in each Ebola-hit country and inside the United States. The orchestra may have still had its off-key instruments, but it played the same tune.

Building on the Ebola experience, the Obama administration set up a permanent epidemic monitoring and command group inside the White House National Security Council (NSC) and another in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)—both of which followed the scientific and public health leads of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the diplomatic advice of the State Department.
Trump Has Sabotaged America’s Coronavirus Response
..................................................................................................................................
So, the obvious question is why? Why dismantle the government's response chain of command to a potentially devastating health risk to the nation? Because it was Obama's initiative that created it. Perhaps that is why when Capt. Incompetence is asked about our preparedness he gives the kind of ignorant, vacuous answer he gives to so many complex issues, "we've got it under control." Really?
...........................................................................................................................

The headquarters of the nation’s intelligence apparatus roiled with the ouster of the acting director Joseph Maguire and his replacement by a sharp partisan amid a dispute over Russian election interference. The Justice Department remained on edge with whispers of further resignations, including perhaps even that of Attorney General William P. Barr, after the president’s intervention in a case involving one of his friends. Witnesses from the impeachment inquiry into Mr. Trump have been summarily dismissed. Dozens of policy experts have been cleared out of the National Security Council staff as part of a restructuring that will mean fewer career professionals in range of the president. A deputy national security adviser dogged by innuendo about disloyalty was exiled to the Energy Department. A Trump appointee’s nomination for a top Treasury Department post was pulled. The No. 3 official at the Defense Department was shown the door.

And Johnny McEntee, a 29-year-old loyalist just installed to take over the Office of Presidential Personnel and reporting directly to Mr. Trump, has ordered a freeze on all political appointments across the government. He also convened a meeting to instruct departments to search for people not devoted to the president so they can be removed, according to people briefed about the session, and informed colleagues that he planned to tell cabinet secretaries that the White House would be choosing their deputies from now on.

But career professionals are not the only ones in the cross hairs. Also facing scrutiny are Republican political appointees considered insufficiently committed to the president or suspected of not aggressively advancing his agenda.
Allies of the president say he should be free to make personnel changes, even if it amounts to shedding people who are not seen as loyal to Mr. Trump.
“It is not unusual at all that these types of assessments are done and thereafter changes are made,” said Bradley A. Blakeman, a Republican strategist and former White House official under President George W. Bush.
Nonetheless, the tumult and anxiety come at a time when the Trump administration confronts enormous challenges, including the coronavirus outbreak, Iranian and North Korean nuclear development and Russian determination to play a role again in America’s next election. Democrats, for example, have expressed concerns about the administration’s ability to respond if there were a severe coronavirus outbreak in the United States, noting that a global health security expert position on the National Security Council has been left vacant for almost two years.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/22/us/politics/trump-disloyalty-turnover.html
Pro Iranian anti-Trumpers hardest hit:

THE NEWS ISN’T ALL BAD: Former Hostage Taker Of US Diplomats Dies Of Coronavirus In Iran.

Trump is the greatest! He undid all the burdensome extra government and regulation imposed by Obama. Now look at us.

The Trump administration fired the U.S. pandemic response team in 2018 to cut costs.

Amid warnings from public health officials that a 2020 outbreak of a new coronavirus could soon become a pandemic involving the U.S., alarmed readers asked Snopes to verify a rumor that U.S. President Donald Trump had “fired the entire pandemic response team two years ago and then didn’t replace them.”

The claim came from a series of tweets posted by Judd Legum, who runs Popular Information, a newsletter he describes as being about “politics and power.” Legum’s commentary was representative of sharp criticism from Democratic legislators (and some Republicans) that the Trump administration had ill-prepared the country for a pandemic even as one was looming on the horizon.

Legum outlined a series of cost-cutting decisions made by the Trump administration in preceding years that had gutted the nation’s infectious disease defense infrastructure. The “pandemic response team” firing claim referred to news accounts from Spring 2018 reporting that White House officials tasked with directing a national response to a pandemic had been ousted.

Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer abruptly departed from his post leading the global health security team on the National Security Council in May 2018 amid a reorganization of the council by then-National Security Advisor John Bolton, and Ziemer’s team was disbanded. Tom Bossert, whom the Washington Post reported “had called for a comprehensive biodefense strategy against pandemics and biological attacks,” had been fired one month prior.

It’s thus true that the Trump administration axed the executive branch team responsible for coordinating a response to a pandemic and did not replace it, eliminating Ziemer’s position and reassigning others, although Bolton was the executive at the top of the National Security Council chain of command at the time.

Did Trump Fire the US Pandemic Response Team?

Do you really think our system is so inept and jenky that one president firing a few people renders us incapable of responding to an outbreak? You partisan hacks are in overdrive with this Corona virus thing. Trump is not responsible for this no matter how badly you want him to be. If a fucking asteroid leveled Manhattan you people would find a way to make it Trump's fault.

Do you really think our system is so inept and jenky that one president firing a few people renders us incapable of responding to an outbreak? You partisan hacks are in overdrive with this Corona virus thing. Trump is not responsible for this no matter how badly you want him to be. If a fucking asteroid leveled Manhattan you people would find a way to make it Trump's fault.
LOL..you Trumpist just can’t admit when Trump makes a mistake. Why is it so hard to admit that Trump made a mistake and should not have taken that action. I think it is because Trumpist are so psychologically invested in Trump. It is part of living vicariously through Trump as well as Dependent personality disorder.

LOL..you Trumpist just can’t admit when Trump makes a mistake. Why is it so hard to admit that Trump made a mistake and should not have taken that action. I think it is because Trumpist are so psychologically invested in Trump. It is part of living vicariously through Trump as well as Dependent personality disorder.

How much better do you think the situation would be if Trump hadn't done that? Do you think it would have made a difference?

How much better do you think the situation would be if Trump hadn't done that? Do you think it would have made a difference?
Yes it would have a made a difference. Trump was so hellbent on reversing Obama on everything he did, that he disbanded those programs and departments created to keep the American people safe. Programs and departments instituted after the Ebola crisis. It was an incredibly stupid decision on Trump’s part.

Yes it would have a made a difference.

I would like you to explain to me in detail what difference you think it would have made in our response to the virus.

Less infections?

Would we have a cure already?

I would like you to explain to me in detail what difference you think it would have made in our response to the virus.

Less infections?

Your argument is pure red herring. A cure? That response is a joke. The market is crashing because of Trump’s inept response. Look at Obama’s response to Ebola and here. Yes, Ebola was different, but I am talking about the response. Look at it.

Less infections?

Your argument is pure red herring. A cure? That response is a joke. The market is crashing because of Trump’s inept response. Look at Obama’s response to Ebola and here. Yes, Ebola was different, but I am talking about the response. Look at it.

I'm asking you to explain to me in detail what tangible difference it would have made in our effort to stop the spread of the virus.

Less infections?

I'm asking you to explain to me in detail what tangible difference it would have made in our effort to stop the spread of the virus.
The markets are crashing because there is no coordinated response from the Trump administration. It is chaos and mixed messages. The question is Why do you find that acceptable? Why is it you are incapable of criticizing Trump?

this is a perfect example of the press being the enemy of the people

Obama'a mismanagement of the Swine Flu caused over 12,000 Americans to die

let's compare:

Compare this situation the 2009 Swine Flu outbreak which caught Obama's CDC completely off guard. There was no available vaccine. Yet, unlike COVID-19, there were no quarantines. There were no mass school closures, though unlike CV-19, H1N1 killed kids. There was no mass cancellation of public events, though unlike CV-19, H1N1 was widely disseminated.

Why?
Because there was basically no press coverage.
In fact, the CDC had to force advisory information to the public, circumventing the press at points, and resorting to Twitter and Facebook.

So the 2009 pandemic was poorly handled, resulted in >60 million Americans infected, and ~12,500 Deaths. Yet:
(1) Press coverage was inexplicably minuscule compared to CV-19.
(2) As a result, there was no public panic.
(3) Stock markets climbed steadily.
(4) There was no criticism targeting the 6 month lack of political response by the Obama Admin.

Trump's Katrina is percolating , and yeah, this is what you get when you wear the 'big shoes'

~S~

Why is it you are incapable of criticizing Trump?

I'm not and I do it all the time because I have no loyalty to parties or politicians. I just say it like I see it. I think the spread rate of the virus would be just about exactly the same if Obama was still the president right now.

I'm not and I do it all the time because I have no loyalty to parties or politicians. I just say it like I see it. I think the spread rate of the virus would be just about exactly the same if Obama was still the president right now.
The difference is in the messaging. I know that does not sound like a big deal, but it is. A coordinated response from all government departments would show the seriousness the Administration takes the coronavirus. The markets would be soothed. Instead we have have idiocy in tweets and confused messages from Trump. Words are bandied about by Trump like “hoax” ? It doesn’t matter the context. Most people just hear the word. Trump can’t agree with Fauci for heaven’s sake. The whole Trump response is one big cluster..you know what.

Should prices of most goods and ways of living be lower at this point? Or are we seeing the middleman or whatever else is in play getting richer on the backs of those who are infected with this virus? Oil prices are dramatically lower but prices are not a dollar a gallon for gas are they? Prices in stores for many products have risen. It always seems the prices like fuel are slow to go lower but are quick to go higher no matter if the fuel is in the nation and already prepared or not.

this is a perfect example of the press being the enemy of the people

Obama'a mismanagement of the Swine Flu caused over 12,000 Americans to die

let's compare:

Compare this situation the 2009 Swine Flu outbreak which caught Obama's CDC completely off guard. There was no available vaccine. Yet, unlike COVID-19, there were no quarantines. There were no mass school closures, though unlike CV-19, H1N1 killed kids. There was no mass cancellation of public events, though unlike CV-19, H1N1 was widely disseminated.

Why?
Because there was basically no press coverage.
In fact, the CDC had to force advisory information to the public, circumventing the press at points, and resorting to Twitter and Facebook.

So the 2009 pandemic was poorly handled, resulted in >60 million Americans infected, and ~12,500 Deaths. Yet:
(1) Press coverage was inexplicably minuscule compared to CV-19.
(2) As a result, there was no public panic.
(3) Stock markets climbed steadily.
(4) There was no criticism targeting the 6 month lack of political response by the Obama Admin.
Jimmy Carter mismanaged swine flu. Jimmy Carter mismanaged everything except Sunday school class.

Last edited:

Neither do they to us

the legislative aftermath of Katrina should cue this for most

~S~

Forum List

Back