Trump Confesses Just Before Key Classified Docs Hearing

Crepitus

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2018
"In a prerecorded interview that aired Wednesday, Trump effortlessly unraveled the work of his defense team, telling Newsmax’s Greg Kelly point blank that he actually did take the classified documents, describing the process of shamelessly packing them away while leaving office.
“I took ’em very legally,” Trump said. “And I wasn’t hiding them.”
“We had boxes on the front of the—and a lot of those boxes had clothing and a lot of—we were moving out, OK? Unfortunately, we were moving out of the White House. And because we’re moving out of the White House our country is going to hell.”
“But um, we weren’t hiding anything. He was,” he added, referring to President Joe Biden having kept a box with a handful of classified documents in his garage. By comparison, the FBI seized 11,000 records at Mar-a-Lago."

This is your "very stable genius" guys.

What do you think he was thinking when he said that? He knew he was being recorded. He knew he had a hearing for the dismissal of charges coming up.

He's just lost in his own little world of sad dementia.

'What Biden did was egregious': Trump comments on Biden classified docs case​

Mar 13, 2024
"Former President Donald Trump joined "Greg Kelly Reports" and shared his thoughts on the House's efforts to ban TikTok, ousted Mark Zuckerberg for his campaign donations, talked about his ongoing legal cases, and more on NEWSMAX."

There is a process, and it's not just retroactively thinking about it.

From the American Bar Association ..

Fact check explores presidential authority to declassify

Trump added to the confusion when he said in an interview with Fox personality Sean Hannity, “There doesn’t have to be a process, as I understand it. ... If you’re the president of the United States, you can declassify just by saying it’s declassified. Even by thinking about it.”

Most national security legal experts dismissed the former president’s suggestion that he could declassify documents simply by thinking about it. But as an ABA Legal Fact Check posted Oct. 17 explains, legal guidelines support his contention that presidents have broad authority to formally declassify most documents that are not statutorily protected, while they are in office.

From the American Bar Association ..
From your link:

"In all cases, however, a formal procedure is required so governmental agencies know with certainty what has been declassified and decisions memorialized. A federal appeals court in a 2020 Freedom of Information Act case, New York Times v. CIA, underscored that point: “Declassification cannot occur unless designated officials follow specified procedures,” the court said."

From your link:

"In all cases, however, a formal procedure is required so governmental agencies know with certainty what has been declassified and decisions memorialized. A federal appeals court in a 2020 Freedom of Information Act case, New York Times v. CIA, underscored that point: “Declassification cannot occur unless designated officials follow specified procedures,” the court said."
but also...if you read to the end...
As the new ABA Legal Fact Check notes, the extent of a president’s legal authority to unilaterally declassify materials — without following formal procedures — has yet to be challenged in court.

No sane person in this universe says that a president can declassify documents just by thinking about it retroactively.

Thus, all the Trump cult loons say it.
Much will be determined by how the law was written on this subject. The case may end up in the Supreme Court.

If the President can’t immediately declassify information it could limit what he can say to a foreign leader at a summit meeting.

The future President might be limited to saying, “I would like to discuss the information i have on the subject but I can’t as it is classified and it will take me a week before the bureaucracy will be able to declassify it properly.“

Much will be determined by how the law was written on this subject. The case may end up in the Supreme Court.

If the President can’t immediately declassify information it could limit what he can say to a foreign leader at a summit meeting.

The future President might be limited to saying, “I would like to discuss the information i have on the subject but I can’t as it is classified and it will take me a week before the bureaucracy will be able to declassify it properly.“
why would POTUS have to ask bureaucrats if he can declassify something??

they work for him/us,,

POTUS can without hesitation just hand a classified document to someone, even if they dont have security clearance,,

From your link:

You're missing the point .. based on the American Bar Association, the president has broad powers to declassify most documents (except as noted), and Trump's approach has never been challenged in court. In fact, GW Bush disclosed classified information without a formal process and it wasn't challenged as part of Scooter Libby's conviction.

"In a prerecorded interview that aired Wednesday, Trump effortlessly unraveled the work of his defense team, telling Newsmax’s Greg Kelly point blank that he actually did take the classified documents, describing the process of shamelessly packing them away while leaving office.
“I took ’em very legally,” Trump said. “And I wasn’t hiding them.”
“We had boxes on the front of the—and a lot of those boxes had clothing and a lot of—we were moving out, OK? Unfortunately, we were moving out of the White House. And because we’re moving out of the White House our country is going to hell.”
“But um, we weren’t hiding anything. He was,” he added, referring to President Joe Biden having kept a box with a handful of classified documents in his garage. By comparison, the FBI seized 11,000 records at Mar-a-Lago."

This is your "very stable genius" guys.

What do you think he was thinking when he said that? He knew he was being recorded. He knew he had a hearing for the dismissal of charges coming up.

He's just lost in his own little world of sad dementia.

So Trump keeps his clothing in boxes with classified documents? He's crazy as an outhouse rat.

Forum List

Back