Trump claims presidents can declassify documents ‘even by thinking about it

Much worse....and the forum with not rules banned me for disagreeing with the owner
" with not rules " what on earth does that mean.
Maybe just a ruler ... eh.A nice thick wooden ruler like the ones
Nuns in Parochial school used in my day { Late 50's early 60's}
across a misbehavin' students knuckles.
For even smallish infractions.Like talking while the nun
is talking or writing on the chalk board.
Far different than what occurs at this pop stand.

Yes they do

But they have to actually declassify it, not claim they did after being caught with TOP SECRET documents

That?
Oh…..I declassified that stuff years ago
Yes, if anyone can prove that he is only claiming to have declassified the documents and did not declassify them at the time, you will have a point.

Do you know of anyone who can prove that Trump did not declassify them?

Additional question: Did Trump declassify the documents in the Crossfire Hurricane binder?

Yes, if anyone can prove that he is only claiming to have declassified the documents and did not declassify them at the time, you will have a point.

Additional question: Did Trump declassify the documents in the Crossfire Hurricane binder?

In this case Trump will have to prove he did. He was caught with documents marked as classified. The default position is that those documents are classified. The person caught with them will have to show they are not

When this whole idea of Trump declassifying documents came up, I thought pretty much the same as a lot of Democrats on here. I thought, 'Wait, Trump can't just "declassify" something on a whim, right? Surely there is a process for that. Doesn't congress have a say in what is classified, either by passing laws, or by creating regulatory agencies?'

But then I researched it, which is the piece many of you are missing. I looked up Navy vs. Egan which ruled that the president has sole authority to determine what information is classified and what is not. I read the Executive Orders, but I understood that no president is bound by Executive Orders since they are just written versions of his own orders or his predecessors.

Then I learned about Obama's on the post decision to mentally declassy information that he wanted to pass on to Russia to help them plan attacks and his statement that:

“There’s classified, and then there’s classified. There’s stuff that is really top secret, top secret—and there’s stuff that … you might not want out on the transom … but is basically stuff that you could get in open source.”

Was he right?

Yes, by definition, what a president decides about classified information is right.

When this whole idea of Trump declassifying documents came up, I thought pretty much the same as a lot of Democrats on here. I thought, 'Wait, Trump can't just "declassify" something on a whim, right? Surely there is a process for that. Doesn't congress have a say in what is classified, either by passing laws, or by creating regulatory agencies?'

But then I researched it, which is the piece many of you are missing. I looked up Navy vs. Egan which ruled that the president has sole authority to determine what information is classified and what is not. I read the Executive Orders, but I understood that no president is bound by Executive Orders since they are just written versions of his own orders or his predecessors.

Then I learned about Obama's on the post decision to mentally declassy information that he wanted to pass on to Russia to help them plan attacks and his statement that:

“There’s classified, and then there’s classified. There’s stuff that is really top secret, top secret—and there’s stuff that … you might not want out on the transom … but is basically stuff that you could get in open source.”

Was he right?

Yes, by definition, what a president decides about classified information is right.

Yep, nothing in there about Declassification via telepathy.

Obama did not mentally declassify information, he did it with a physical act of sharing the information with someone.

Yes, the agency that controls each document has a record of its classification
If Presidential orders to declassify information were never issued then affected documents are still classified

Was he right?

This has been covered countless times. No one is missing it. Yes, a president can declassify anything he wants BUT there is a process to do that. With the right to do that comes with the obligation of oversight.

All Trump has to do is show it went through that process. He can't.

Yep, nothing in there about Declassification via telepathy.
But plenty about the president being the sole authority over classified information.
Obama did not mentally declassify information, he did it with a physical act of sharing the information with someone.
Then Trump did it with the physical act of moving them to Mar-a-Lago..

This has been covered countless times. No one is missing it. Yes, a president can declassify anything he wants BUT there is a process to do that. With the right to do that comes with the obligation of oversight.

All Trump has to do is show it went through that process. He can't.
Show me the process.

But plenty about the president being the sole authority over classified information.

Then Trump did it with the physical act of moving them to Mar-a-Lago..

They are not the sole authority, they might be the highest authority but please do not be like that other moron and claim only the president has the power to classify and declassify.

If he told anyone, then you might be on to something.

They are not the sole authority, they might be the highest authority but please do not be like that other moron and claim only the president has the power to classify and declassify.
It's not my claim, it's the Supreme Court's claim in Navy v. Egan. Do you know of something you could link that supersedes that ruling?
If he told anyone, then you might be on to something.
So the rules were different for Obama.

It's not my claim, it's the Supreme Court's claim in Navy v. Egan. Do you know of something you could link that supersedes that ruling?

That is not what the ruling says. The ruling does not say the POTUS is the ONLY one that can do it.

Do you honestly think that the POTUS personally classifies every single document in the US, and that the POTUS personally approves each and every security clearance given in the US?

You are just pulling my leg now trying to get a rise since you have had your ass handed to you, aren't you?

So the rules were different for Obama.

Not at all, Obama told people he was giving the information to Russia.

Then show me the process and you can crow I told you so when I deny it.

If you could be honest, I would play your games

But why don’t you just come clean and admit Trump lied.
Like a kid caught with his hand in a candy jar, Trump just creates a lie and you guys swear by it.

Truth is, Trump never declassified those documents and never had any intention of doing so.

What is even scarier than Trump improperly storing classified information is the claims that he just looked at all the Classified documents and gave a blanket declassification order without considering the threat to national security contained in those documents

That shows a callous disregard for his ability to declassify information

Forum List

Back