Trump claims presidents can declassify documents ‘even by thinking about it

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

“There doesn’t have to be a process, as I understand it,” Trump told Fox News host Sean Hannity. “If you’re the president of the United States, you can declassify just by saying, ‘It’s declassified.’ Even by thinking about it.

So, do you all agree with this? Is just the mere thought of something being declassified enough to make it so?

It amazes me how Trump views classification as an annoyance.

Not as a way to ensure damaging information is not released, but as an annoying requirement that he has to keep these documents safe and secure.

So what does he do?
He issues a blanket declassification on every document he possesses. Even Top Secret.

No concern that the information contained in those documents is now compromised

“There doesn’t have to be a process, as I understand it,” Trump told Fox News host Sean Hannity. “If you’re the president of the United States, you can declassify just by saying, ‘It’s declassified.’ Even by thinking about it.

So, do you all agree with this? Is just the mere thought of something being declassified enough to make it so?

He is going with the defense Skyler used on the IRS agent in Breaking Bad.

According to this, it isnt so black and white.
He can basically do whatever he wants with declassification. There are informal protocols, but nothing set in stone. EXCEPT nuclear documents. Those are protected under the Atomic Energy Act.
Apparently, just because they are declassified, doesnt mean they can just take those documents with them when they leave the WH either.

According to this, it isnt so black and white.
He can basically do whatever he wants with declassification. There are informal protocols, but nothing set in stone. EXCEPT nuclear documents. Those are protected under the Atomic Energy Act.
Apparently, just because they are declassified, doesnt mean they can just take those documents with them when they leave the WH either.

So, do you agree all the POTUS needs to do is think about it and POOF things are declassified?

Well the Dems seem to think they can indict & convict DT with just strong feelings.
At least thinking involves actual brain function & not just some Pavlovian response to your emotional triggers.

Yes, I think if he considers them unclassified, they are unclassified.
He has the ultimate authority in these matters.
Did that hurt?

Well the Dems seem to think they can indict & convict DT with just strong feelings.
At least thinking involves actual brain function & not just some Pavlovian response to your emotional triggers.

Yes, I think if he considers them unclassified, they are unclassified.
He has the ultimate authority in these matters.
Did that hurt?

Just the opposite, though I did spit out a bit of coffee while laughing at loud at your post.

So...one president can literally wipe out all of the state secrets if she or he wanted to do it...without any check or balance?

Is that what the right wing is now asking us to believe?

Wow.
I'm sorry, are you actually comparing taking home the docs that prove the DNC, HRC, Obama & his WH & fed law enforcement illegally targeted DT & committed felony sedition in the act is the same as declassifying every single document in the US?
Nice strawman you got going there but it's losing it's stuffing

strawman.jpg

So...one president can literally wipe out all of the state secrets if she or he wanted to do it...without any check or balance?

Is that what the right wing is now asking us to believe?

Wow.
Biden is costing us billions in executive orders.

But you don't care about that.

I'm sorry, are you actually comparing taking home the docs that prove the DNC, HRC, Obama & his WH & fed law enforcement illegally targeted DT & committed felony sedition in the act is the same as declassifying every single document in the US?

How do you know that is what Trump had in his home?

And if those are what Trump had in his home, why did he not make them public so we all could see them and know the truth?

Biden is costing us billions in executive orders.

But you don't care about that.

Would you mind staying on topic just this once?

Do you have an opinion to offer on what Trump said?

Forum List

Back