Truly 'good' religions

Was looking at the Jedi homepage earlier wondering about something. Wondered exactly what the 'selling point' was for a religion which in the movies requires complete celibacy. :) Site says they can marry so it's not exactly faithful to the mythology. :)

As evidenced by the complete lack of terrorism, forced conversion, or expulsion for questioning their authority, I thought I'd start a thread about good religions (as distinct from those who perpetuate violence, holy wars, genocide, etc. like all the ones people usually think of as religions.)

Jedi Church - Jedi Religion and Jedi Faith
Yes Virginia, Jedi is a bonafide religion.

"The sheer number of people who entered "Jedi" was a significant in the last census, approximately 20000 in NZ alone (indicative result given confidentially). I note there were more Jedi's than Assembly of God, or Jehovah's Witnesses."

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

"Team FSM has reached $2 Million in loans on the micro-lending site Kiva. We’re now the top-lending religious congregation on Kiva, above the Buddhists, Catholics, Muslims, and — especially pleasing to me – above the Mormons, who we’ve been in a friendly competition with for years."

Add your's. With over 25,000 discrete religious systems, there's gotta be a few non-violent ones. :)

I can't believe this shameful omission of the Church of the Subgenius:

1000x1000px-LL-9f1f4e36_Propaganda_from_1985.jpeg

While not my idea of a good anything, saw reference earlier somewhere about the religion of Facebook. :) Talk about a schizm waiting to happen. :)

A good religion is one that works for you, gives you comfort, gives you peace, teaches you to love yourself and others, brings you joy and shows you your strength. Religion is for us, IMO, our way to relate to that which is greater than us and outside of our understanding. Many people don't want or need that. For those of us who do, if you don't feel the love or comfort, you may not have found your fit.

A good religion is one that works for you, gives you comfort, gives you peace, teaches you to love yourself and others, brings you joy and shows you your strength. Religion is for us, IMO, our way to relate to that which is greater than us and outside of our understanding. Many people don't want or need that. For those of us who do, if you don't feel the love or comfort, you may not have found your fit.

:eusa_clap:

A good religion should be like a good meal: personally unique and home-made from whatever's in one's kitchen.

True enough. A good religion is personally rewarding. It can also be one that benefits society generally, such as with the building of hospitals, schools, shelters, and any number of other charities and organizations that the public seeks out.

Christianity has done both with tremendous success.

A good religion should be like a good meal: personally unique and home-made from whatever's in one's kitchen.
What if all you have in your kitchen is a sack of flour? Isn't a good religion worth proselytizing?

What if all you have in your kitchen is a sack of flour? Isn't a good religion worth proselytizing?

Absolutely, definitely, emphatically NOT.

Religion is personal and should be kept to oneself. Because that's where it lives and works. When I find whatever combination of wisdom hits my R-spot, I'm there. If I then start pushing it on other people insisting this will work for them too, I become a pretentious megalomaniac.

The "kitchen" is, of coarse, metaflourical. :eusa_shifty:

Religion is personal and should be kept to oneself. Because that's where it lives and works. When I find whatever combination of wisdom hits my R-spot, I'm there. If I then start pushing it on other people insisting this will work for them too, I become a pretentious megalomaniac.

Well, unfortunately for you, Christianity has not been kept private, and it has benefitted society. Because it lives and works there.

The Jedi Church and the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster have also been shared. I'm not sure what good they've done, but lots of people are now aware of them.

Salt would be better, don't you think? Surely, you've got salt.

I relate to the kitchen analogy. Many things can be symbols to draw our attention and focus. Music is a lovely form of worship, the rosary an excellent way to occupy the mind so the self may soar, and cooking or creating from common goods a loving way to spread/share your faith. Much of our daily lives are missed moments but they do not have to be. Housecleaning (and blessing) are almost always spiritual for me.

I relate to the kitchen analogy. Many things can be symbols to draw our attention and focus. Music is a lovely form of worship, the rosary an excellent way to occupy the mind so the self may soar, and cooking or creating from common goods a loving way to spread/share your faith. Much of our daily lives are missed moments but they do not have to be. Housecleaning (and blessing) are almost always spiritual for me.
That kitchen analogy wasn't about sharing or spreading your faith. It was about you being Linus and your "religion" being nothing more than your blue security blanket.

That kitchen analogy wasn't about sharing or spreading your faith. It was about you being Linus and your "religion" being nothing more than your blue security blanket.

Uuuhhhhh.... yeah OK...

Yeah, I already said religion is for us humans, our way to relate to that which is bigger than ourselves and that which we do not understand. I also said many people don't want or need that.

So, that means you'd still go with flour on purpose or are you just out of salt?

Uuuhhhhh.... yeah OK...
Yea, that was my reaction when I read your analogy.

Seven billion different religions in the world. Kinda changes the definition of the word, doesn't it.

Well, all religions are good. But, if you mean, are they "TRUE," not truly good, that's anyone's guess. All those poor sots that crashed those planes into the twin towers, those creeps were convinced they were doing GOOD and all that. And, then fly up to heaven and get all that virgin action THERE that they couldn't get down here on mortal earth, as superstitious repressed males with nowhere to go with all that libido. I think religion is so conflicted with sexuality, it doesn't know what to do with it. Especially Islam. 40 Virgins for one man...Really? Is that hell for the forty virgins, or heaven for the ONE man? And, why do Muslim women believe in this shit, they make you wear a bag over your head and in some cases, carve off your clitoris? OK. Why do you people persist in believing this twaddle?

Last edited:

Well, unfortunately for you, Christianity has not been kept private, and it has benefitted society. Because it lives and works there.

The Jedi Church and the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster have also been shared. I'm not sure what good they've done, but lots of people are now aware of them.

Unfortunate it is. How well I remember.

Amusing attempt at conflation, but "being shared" is in no way comparable to proselytizing. No one ever sentenced me or anybody else to a Flying Spaghetti Monster educational prison with sadistic pasta penguins pounding primitive punishment into pupils, relentlessly howling the message that we the people are worthless "sinner" scum. That such schools do not exist is already a point in the FSM's favour. By comparison anyway.

About those who "benefitted"... presumably they include all those Jews/Moslems/Pagans/Indians/Africans/"savages"/"primitives" obliterated in the name of God, all those children violated by the servants of God, all those women with their limbs torn off or burned alive with their children forced to watch for not being servants of God. Presumably the 'benefit' was a hedge against -- overpopulation? I guess. Because nothing says "public benefit" like force.

Organized religion is about mind control. If that's what you're looking for, then you're not looking for religion. You're looking for a dictator. But for me, the best thing organized religion can do is just leave me the fuck alone. If I need it, I have its number, I'll call. Next.

Last edited:
Well, all religions are good. But, if you mean, are they "TRUE," not truly good, that's anyone's guess. All those poor sots that crashed those planes into the twin towers, those creeps were convinced they were doing GOOD and all that. And, then fly up to heaven and get all that virgin action THERE that they couldn't get down here on mortal earth, as superstitious repressed males with nowhere to go with all that libido. I think religion is so conflicted with sexuality, it doesn't know what to do with it. Especially Islam. 40 Virgins for one man...Really? Is that hell for the forty virgins, or heaven for the ONE man? And, why do Muslim women believe in this shit, they make you wear a bag over your head and in some cases, carve off your clitoris? OK. Why do you people persist in believing this twaddle?

That was a political act, not a religious one. Not a workable comparison.

"True" is of course, subjective and again, personal. "True" is what resonates for you. That's why for me I shopped around, picked up a bit from here and a bit from there, and why if you ask me what my religion is it's impossible to give a simple answer.

We're off topic though. The premise was to name religions that don't do the whole heavyhanded oppression trip; that clearly eliminates the Big Three. I think so far we got Jainism, Bahá'i and Tao -- insofar as we can deal with religions to which we've given species names. There are countless animist spiritual practices that would qualify if we but had names for them.

Last edited:

The spirit energy of kinetic energy. :thup:

Music is indeed spritual; I believe that's its whole point, to induce us into a trance where we might transcend the confines of this mortal coil. And in between the notes, after a time, there are openings. Openings in the fabric to another consciousness.

Unfortunate it is. How well I remember.

Amusing attempt at conflation, but "being shared" is in no way comparable to proselytizing.
Your vocabulary suffers.
No one ever sentenced me or anybody else to a Flying Spaghetti Monster educational prison with sadistic pasta penguins pounding primitive punishment into pupils, relentlessly pounding the message that we the people are worthless scum. That such schools do not exist is already a point in the FSM's favour. By comparison anyway.

About those who "benefitted"... presumably they include all those Jews/Moslems/Pagans/Indians obliterated in the name of God, all those children violated by the servants of God, all those women burned alive with their children forced to watch for not being servants of God. Presumably the 'benefit' was a hedge against -- overpopulation? I guess. Because nothing says "public benefit" like force.

Organized religion is about mind control. If that's what you're looking for, then you're not looking for religion. You're looking for a dictator. But for me, organized religion can bite my crank and leave me the fuck alone. If I need it, I have its number, I'll call. Next.
I see Christianity has enslaved you, too.

Forum List

Back