Trivial Trivia: Sports Edition

GMCGeneral

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2020
For me to know and you not to find out.
OK, the idea is simple. A question will be asked and the first CORRECT answer gets the right to ask the next question. Wrong answer and the questioner answers his own question and retains the right to ask the next question. Hints are allowed.

Here we go: Why was the American League known as a "high strike" league?
Hint: Until he retired in 1985, Major League Umpire Jerry Neudecker was the last to use one of these.

OK, the idea is simple. A question will be asked and the first CORRECT answer gets the right to ask the next question. Wrong answer and the questioner answers his own question and retains the right to ask the next question. Hints are allowed.

Here we go: Why was the American League known as a "high strike" league?
Hint: Until he retired in 1985, Major League Umpire Jerry Neudecker was the last to use one of these.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the chest protector and where the umpire would situate himself behind the catcher, which would affect his ability to make accurate calls. I don't know the specifics, though...

Can I get partial credit?

Jerry Neudecker was the last umpire to wear what they called a "Balloon" chest protector.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the chest protector and where the umpire would situate himself behind the catcher, which would affect his ability to make accurate calls. I don't know the specifics, though...

Can I get partial credit?
Both you and katsteve2012 got the right answer! I donned the blue myself so I can tell you. Because the balloon was so cumbersome, the plate umpire had to stand directly behind the catcher, rather than work in the "slot" as umpires who use inside protectors do.
In 1977, the AL mandated all new umpires to use the inside protector and grandfathered it for the existing umpires. That's why vets such as Larry Barnett, Joe Brinkman, Nick Bremigan (RIP), Marty Springstead, etc. switched while HOF Umpire Nestor Chylack, Bill Haller, etc. stayed with the outside protector. Canon, next question is yours.

Alex, what is Mario and A.J.?

53181634.jpg

Mario is my favorite…

Anyhoo, I will punt the next question to you or Kat because I have nothing…

Altighty...

The so-called "Triple Crown of Motorsport" is alternatively defined as winning either:

The Indianapolis 500, the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the Monaco Grand Prix

-or-

The Indianapolis 500, the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the Formula One World Championship

Regardless of which definition you choose, only one driver has ever accomplished that feat (the latter).

Who was it?

I am guessing Chicago because of Sandberg, Jordan but I am unsure if there is another 23 retired…

Okay, well, then it can't be New York or Chicago, as they both have multiple baseball teams, and New York also has multiple football teams. Given how the question is asked, it has to be a city with only one team in each sport. It also can't be Boston, as the Patriots technically aren't from Boston, but from Foxboro, which is half an hour away. It also can't be any anywhere in Minnesota, as no city in Minnesota is able to lay claim to the Minnesota Vikings. It can't be Dallas or Orlando; no baseball team. Likewise it can't be Tampa, because they don't have an NBA team. Dallas doesn't have a baseball team. It can't be Seattle, as the Kraken hasn't been in the league long enough to retire any player jerseys. It can't be Houston as they don't have an NHL team.

Without the benefit of Google, I'm going to guess Detroit. They have only one team in each of the big three, and all three have had long histories with numerous colorful personalities...

Forum List

Back