Trees in the Desert: I Have a Dream..

Yes, but what do you think about planting trees just in case they are right?
And how about cutting down trees, in the city, so rooftop solar can have light. It is now an issue, if you care to use that Google search of yours.
Nah, just suppliment the burning of carbon with solar thermal, which as you know isn't even close to solar photovoltaic in technology. Augment the power plant serving the home, don't cut down trees around it. ...though...I've actually been in a house where a tree came crashing straight through the roof in a storm and the large trunk came to rest a few inches from my body; the also large branches had impaled a cage all around me that I had to crawl out of in pitch darkness.

But I still like them. OK, how about this, for every tree you cut down near a house for solar, you plant 10 of them where houses are distant?
How about no solar so we have the money and water to plant trees, or what about letting the plants live instead of destroying 100's of square miles of desert.

How about no solar so we have the money and water to plant trees, or what about letting the plants live instead of destroying 100's of square miles of desert.

Destroying a desert means the same thing as improving a biome :biggrin: Think about it.

A desert is the end result of the destruction of a previously thriving area. It has xerophiles to be sure, but there are only there because nothing else can be. Until you reclaim with strategic care.

Using solar thermal bothering you? You must have a lot of stock in a carbon company. The people objecting to solar thermal steam to run turbines get a little bent about the free energy aspect of it. Hard to put a meter on the sun, itsn't it? $$$...

Destroying a desert means the same thing as improving a biome :biggrin: Think about it.

A desert is the end result of the destruction of a previously thriving area. It has xerophiles to be sure, but there are only there because nothing else can be. Until you reclaim with strategic care.

Using solar thermal bothering you? You must have a lot of stock in a carbon company. The people objecting to solar thermal steam to run turbines get a little bent about the free energy aspect of it. Hard to put a meter on the sun, itsn't it? $$$...

Your Liberal Elitist hypocrisy is showing. Would you feel the same way if Oil and Gas compaines did to the land what they are doing to that land?

A desert is the end result of the destruction of a previously thriving area. It has xerophiles to be sure, but there are only there because nothing else can be. Until you reclaim with strategic care... Using solar thermal bothering you? You must have a lot of stock in a carbon company. The people objecting to solar thermal steam to run turbines get a little bent about the free energy aspect of it. Hard to put a meter on the sun, itsn't it? $$$...

Your Liberal Elitist hypocrisy is showing. Would you feel the same way if Oil and Gas compaines did to the land what they are doing to that land?

You mean providing a shade covering underneath parabolic mirrors in the desert (shade: where most desert life is found staying alive) as opposed to spilling toxic chemicals all over the place and killing what little life is left in the desert?

There's nothing hypocritical at all about supporting shade covering in the desert to boil water as opposed to opposing chemicals intrinsic to oil mining being spilled all over the desert.

What a bizarre comparison you just made... :cuckoo:

No matter what side of the climate change debate you come down on, there is no disputing the atomosphere is filling up with more and more Co2 than before the industrial revolution and the population explosion that came from it.

The burning of fossil fuels is the burning of carbon. That is going into the atmosphere. It was previously locked up in the earth...kind of where you want carbon to be if you like stable temperatures or ones at least that are slightly predictable from year to year. Co2 creates a blanket that warms the earth.

Ice caps condition the weather in the earth's systems. They act as stablizers. If they retreat significantly, so does the predictability of the weather.

Most fossil fuels came from vegetation that rotted and got locked up in the earth from surficial geologic processes. Vegetation has a lot of carbon because plants and trees pull carbon from the air when they respirate and use it to build themselves up. Trees are the paramount example of this.

OK, my dream...

The deserts in the Middle East have a lot of energy. Fuel and solar. I wonder how cool it would be if one of the Arab countries started planting a crapload of cedar tree seedings or other arid loving tree species as an introductory, building the soil up to where a forest could eventually begin again. The ME has tons of sunshine. Why not install solar desalination plants to take ocean water to irrigate patchworks of land to sustain an introductory biome that tree seedlings could eventually be introduced into? Imagine the ME with tall cedars again? Would be something for sure.

If it took off and worked, small parts of the Sahara could begin to be reclaimed in a similar way. At the same time, people in every country could really go on a rampage planting tree seedlings and really get on reforesting the globe. In five to ten years you'd have a bunch of carbon munchers fixing carbon from the atmosphere back down on the surface in the form of locked carbon.

Well?

How can i say.... BULL SHIT!

You can say it all you want, but please explain your position, otherwise you are just trolling and not contributing.

And how about cutting down trees, in the city, so rooftop solar can have light. It is now an issue, if you care to use that Google search of yours.

How many trees were removed in the first place in order to build all those houses? Trees are removed all the time for various reasons. You can't condemn solar just because this sometimes happens.

Actually, bullshit or rather bullfarts are also contributing to the problem. It isn't theoretical that an increase of CO2 in the atmosphere traps solar heat, it's a fact. Planting trees might be one solution. They breathe in CO2 during the day and expel oxygen. At night, if botany 101 memories still serve me, the process is reversed but less significant because the cooler temps slow down the process.

The overall net is that with reforestation, CO2 would be reduced in the atmosphere and oxygen increased. Plus, trees help condition and stablize local climates. We could use a little more of that too.
CO2 traps heat? That is a theory, nothing more.

How about a link leading to your fact?

It ABSOLUTELY traps heat -- no theory if it is proven and it was ... it becomes fact. That's like saying that the "round earth" is a theory.

Actually, bullshit or rather bullfarts are also contributing to the problem. It isn't theoretical that an increase of CO2 in the atmosphere traps solar heat, it's a fact. Planting trees might be one solution. They breathe in CO2 during the day and expel oxygen. At night, if botany 101 memories still serve me, the process is reversed but less significant because the cooler temps slow down the process.

The overall net is that with reforestation, CO2 would be reduced in the atmosphere and oxygen increased. Plus, trees help condition and stablize local climates. We could use a little more of that too.

It ABSOLUTELY traps heat -- no theory if it is proven and it was ... it becomes fact. That's like saying that the "round earth" is a theory.
That is why you took the time to link? The Earth is not round, it is kind of Oval. So if you wish to speak of Science, make sure your post is correct, now where is your link? Where is the experiment? How about it. Not one person in any thread has yet to post how this is fact. At best the theory is based on the, "Ether", is it not. Try linking to Tyndall, I will pick the part out of your link where Tyndall states............

You do know Dry Ice is CO2, here on Earth we literally use CO2 to keep things cold a very long time. So well your at it, you can tell us how industry uses CO2 some way for this heat trapping characteristic.

Go ahead.

How many trees were removed in the first place in order to build all those houses? Trees are removed all the time for various reasons. You can't condemn solar just because this sometimes happens.

How many trees? ZERO! Maybe up in Michigan where there are not big plans to put Solar there are trees being cut down to build homes, but not here in Los Angeles! Trees are rare enough we move them when we build.

64420-JOHNS%20TREE.jpg

That is why you took the time to link? The Earth is not round, it is kind of Oval. So if you wish to speak of Science, make sure your post is correct, now where is your link? Where is the experiment? How about it. Not one person in any thread has yet to post how this is fact. At best the theory is based on the, "Ether", is it not. Try linking to Tyndall, I will pick the part out of your link where Tyndall states............

You do know Dry Ice is CO2, here on Earth we literally use CO2 to keep things cold a very long time. So well your at it, you can tell us how industry uses CO2 some way for this heat trapping characteristic.

Go ahead.

Everybody knows that about the earth, you're nitpicking.

If you wish to understand basic chemistry, please Google it -- I don't get paid to educate people about that stuff. Nor do I have time to quibble over whether the Earth is round.

Do believe that man-made CO2 is warming the Earth? No, I do not.

But the fact that CO2 traps heat is indisputable.

How many trees? ZERO! Maybe up in Michigan where there are not big plans to put Solar there are trees being cut down to build homes, but not here in Los Angeles! Trees are rare enough we move them when we build.

You really are over thinking everything in order to win an argument. No trees were EVER cut down to build houses? That's what you are actually inferring?

Free? This is my 2 second response. Meter on the sun? You think it works? ? About the only way they could get it to work is to attach a Natural gas boiler to a Solar Plant, and you know what they did, and it still don't work. Its called Ivanpah, and we all own stock in it, its called TAXES!

Solar Company Requests 540 Million Bailout The Daily Caller
Google-Owned Solar Company Requests $540 Million Bailout To Help Pay $1.6 Billion Loan

Go ahead.

If you wish to understand basic chemistry, please Google it -- I don't get paid to educate people about that stuff. Nor do I have time to quibble over whether the Earth is round.

I know a bit more than basic Chemistry, and you have been around the threads long enough to know that you must, dodge, deflect, with a little bit of flaming to run from your comment.

Basic chemistry, great, go link to it. Try Tyndall, you know the guy you folks claim started the theory, the theory based on the "Ether", anyhow Tyndall never made your ridiculous claim, that CO2 in the atmosphere traps heat so how did you come up with this idea. Someone said it on the radio on a warm day and it made sense?

So share what you know, I am sure many would finally love to see the facts.

Back to planting trees...

I wonder if any readers here have ideas on introductory species to plant in the Middle East? Making the way back to the cedars of old? And, thoughts on reclaiming the Sahara, starting at the leading edge where the winds come from and moving downwind to stablize the drifting sands?

Go ahead.

I know a bit more than basic Chemistry, and you have been around the threads long enough to know that you must, dodge, deflect, with a little bit of flaming to run from your comment.

Basic chemistry, great, go link to it. Try Tyndall, you know the guy you folks claim started the theory, the theory based on the "Ether", anyhow Tyndall never made your ridiculous claim, that CO2 in the atmosphere traps heat so how did you come up with this idea. Someone said it on the radio on a warm day and it made sense?

1+1=2: if you need me to explain this to you, you will never get it.

Go ahead.

CO2 does NOT trap heat. It is a reflective property not an absorptive one. CO2 is incapable of retaining heat and must readily emit any absorbed heat or it is lost to space.

Go ahead.

CO2 does NOT trap heat. It is a reflective property not an absorptive one. CO2 is incapable of retaining heat and must readily emit any absorbed heat or it is lost to space.

Incorrect, young grasshopper. It is transparent to the soar energy that ENTERS our atmosphere, but traps the heat that is reflected from the earth's surface. This is hnown as the greenhouse effect.

Go ahead.

When you resort to counting on fingers, it shows you know nothing more. Try using your fingers to type g.o.o.g.l.e.

You really are over thinking everything in order to win an argument. No trees were EVER cut down to build houses? That's what you are actually inferring?
Yes, that is what I stated, exactly, when you stated, "every lot a house is built on has trees that must be cut".

See how that works, you infer much from little and I will reply in kind.

As you say, simply to win an argument. What I originally stated was true, you came back with the nonsense for what, so we can go back and forth with bickering?

Go ahead.

When you resort to counting on fingers, it shows you know nothing more. Try using your fingers to type g.o.o.g.l.e.

I don't have to use it ... most of the time. You either know about a topic or you don't.

Forum List

Back