Transgender Identity Is Not a Mental Health Disorder, Study Finds

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
People who identify as transgender should not be considered to have a mental health disorder, according to a new study from Mexico.

The World Health Organization currently lists transgender identity as a mental health disorder, and the new study is the first in a series of research aimed at finding out whether this categorization is apt. The study will be repeated in Brazil, France, India, Lebanon and South Africa, according to the researchers.

In the new study, published today (July 26) in the journal The Lancet Psychiatry, the researchers investigated whether the distress and dysfunction associated with transgender identity were the result of social rejection and stigmatization or an inherent part of being transgender.

Experiencing "distress and dysfunction" is often considered a defining feature of having a mental health disorder, according to the study. But other factors can cause these feelings as well, including experiencing rejection or stigmatization.

more

So true! It is people being who they really want to be...It is very sane.

I remember when you used to drop n-bombs right and left on here. Then, when USMB transitioned, you were suddenly a liberal. Interesting. I wonder if that affects your positions on stuff like this?

As for this "study", I can't imagine it being accurate. But I tend to believe in causes of liberty. So, I'm interested to see how far such issues go. Though, if liberals were serious about sexual liberties, they'd be championing causes like decriminalizing prostitution and matters of the like. As I've said, the Marxists aren't true champions of progressive causes. They do only what is convenient for their power vacuum.

People who identify as transgender should not be considered to have a mental health disorder, according to a new study from Mexico.

The World Health Organization currently lists transgender identity as a mental health disorder, and the new study is the first in a series of research aimed at finding out whether this categorization is apt. The study will be repeated in Brazil, France, India, Lebanon and South Africa, according to the researchers.

In the new study, published today (July 26) in the journal The Lancet Psychiatry, the researchers investigated whether the distress and dysfunction associated with transgender identity were the result of social rejection and stigmatization or an inherent part of being transgender.

Experiencing "distress and dysfunction" is often considered a defining feature of having a mental health disorder, according to the study. But other factors can cause these feelings as well, including experiencing rejection or stigmatization.

more

I stridently disagree.

more

What on earth did we ever do without such experts. How did we ever survive?

It's a mental health disorder, no different than if guno claimed he's Napoleon.

Oooh a study from Mexico....LOL Meanwhile the World Health Organization, along with any sane person, disagrees

more

I don't believe that it's generally healthy in our social construct. But I question branding it a mental health disorder.

more

if someone thought they were Napoleon in real life would you humour them or be nasty?

I'd ask him about his military career. it'd probably be really interesting.

seriously though, there is quite a few stunning trans girls about. They usually don't look completely passable but i can't think for the life of me why more males aren't interested in dating them. I know most males secretly want to have a once off with one.

Forum List

Back