Transcript of DA Bragg's indictment press conference

Rumpole

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2023
Bragg bats back, better.

In my view, DA NY Alan Bragg, defying characterizations highly critical of him, delivered a powerful speech on the matter of the indictment of Donald Trump. It was a refreshingly hard, cold, just-the-facts, m'am no spin conference. I was worried, as a liberal Democrat, that this indictment was below the presidency, that it was too trivial for a man who is the ex President of the United states. Bragg skillfully disabused me of that fear. I believe it will, or at least it should, in my view, do the same for others who might be harboring a similar fear. Those of you on the right might disagree, but I ask you to maintain an open mind, and at least give Bragg his due, as there has been much criticism on Bragg, from the left and the right. You can read the transcript of you don't prefer a video, however, the video has a much greater impact (to me, of course).

Transcript below, but here are the Cliff Notes:

The Manhattan District Attorney's Office held a press conference to announce the indictment of Donald Trump on charges of falsifying business records in the first degree. The indictment was returned by a grand jury and was based on evidence that Trump repeatedly made false statements on New York business records in order to cover up crimes related to the election. The evidence will show that he did so as part of a catch-and-kill scheme to suppress negative information about himself and improve his chances of winning the election. This involved making payments to people who claimed to have negative information, setting up shell companies, and making false statements in American Media Incorporated business records. The indictment also cites the wire payment to Stormy Daniels and the false statements about payments to Michael Cohen as additional examples of criminal conduct. The DA's office emphasized the importance of true and accurate business records, especially in Manhattan, and vowed to enforce white-collar crime.

Note to mods: As I understand copyright law (though I'm not a lawyer, I do have experience in the copyright arena), Title 17 allows the reprint of transcripts of public officials giving conferences, talks, speeches, etc., when it is part of their official duties, and therefore, such transcripts are public domain.

For those who prefer the video, here is the link, but Q&A session wasn't included in the transcript. (Note, transcript taken from YT, no editing or spell checking, etc., was done)

Good afternoon. Thank you for joining us here today. Earlier this afternoon, Donald Trump was arraigned on a New York Supreme Court indictment returned by a Manhattan grand jury on 34 felony counts of falsifying business records in the first degree. Under New York state law, it is a felony to falsify business records with intent to defraud and an intent to conceal another crime.

That is exactly what this case is about - 34 false statements made to cover up other crimes. These are felony crimes in New York state, no matter who you are. We cannot and will not normalize serious criminal conduct.

The defendant repeatedly made false statements on New York business records. He also caused others to make false statements. The defendant claimed that he was paying Michael Cohen for legal services performed in 2017. This simply was not true, and it was a false statement that the defendant made month after month in April 2017, May, June and so on, through the rest of the year,

For nine straight months, the defendant held documents in his hand containing this key lie that he was paying Michael Cohen for legal services performed in 2017. And he personally signed checks for payments to Michael Cohen for each of these nine months. In total, the grand jury found there were 34 documents with this critical false statement.

Why did Donald Trump repeatedly make these false statements? The evidence will show that he did so to cover up crimes relating to the 2016 election. Donald Trump, executives at the publishing company American Media Incorporated, Mr. Cohen, and others agreed in 2015 to a catch-and-kill scheme - that is a scheme to buy and suppress negative information to help Mr. Trump's chance of winning the election.

As part of this scheme, Donald Trump and others made three payments to people who claim to have negative information about Mr. Trump. To make these payments, they set up shell companies and they made yet more false statements, including, for example, in AMI, American Media Incorporated business records.
[AMI publishes the National Enquirer --Rumpole]

One of the three people that they paid to keep quiet was a woman named Stormy Daniels. Less than two weeks before the presidential election, Michael Cohen wired to Stormy Daniels' lawyer. That payment was to hide damaging information from the voting public. The participant scheme was illegal. The scheme violated New York election law, which makes it a crime to conspire to promote a candidacy by unlawful means. The wire payment exceeded the federal campaign contribution cap and the false statements in Ami's books violated New York law.

That is why Mr. Trump made false statements about his payments to Mr. Cohen. He could not simply say that the payments were a reimbursement for Mr. Cohen's payments to Stormy Daniels. To do so, to make that true statement, would have been to admit a crime. So, instead, Mr. Trump said that he was paying Mr. Cohen for fictitious legal services in to cover up actual crime committed the prior year and in order to get Michael Cohen his money back.

They planned one last false statement. In order to complete the scheme, they planned to mischaracterize the repayments to Mr. Cohen as income to the New York state tax authorities.

The conduct I just described and that which was charged by the grand jury is felony criminal conduct in New York state. True and accurate business records are important everywhere. To be sure, they are all the more important in Manhattan, the financial center of the world.

That is why we have a history in the Manhattan DA's office of vigorously enforcing white-collar crime. My office, including the talented prosecutors you saw at arraignment earlier today, has charged hundreds of felony falsifying business records. This charge, it can be said, is the bread and butter of our white

Bragg bats back, better.

In my view, DA NY Alan Bragg, defying characterizations highly critical of him, delivered a powerful speech on the matter of the indictment of Donald Trump. It was a refreshingly hard, cold, just-the-facts, m'am no spin conference. I was worried, as a liberal Democrat, that this indictment was below the presidency, that it was too trivial for a man who is the ex President of the United states. Bragg skillfully disabused me of that fear. I believe it will, or at least it should, in my view, do the same for others who might be harboring a similar fear. Those of you on the right might disagree, but I ask you to maintain an open mind, and at least give Bragg his due, as there has been much criticism on Bragg, from the left and the right. You can read the transcript of you don't prefer a video, however, the video has a much greater impact (to me, of course).

The Manhattan District Attorney's Office held a press conference to announce the indictment of Donald Trump on charges of falsifying business records in the first degree. The indictment was returned by a grand jury and was based on evidence that Trump repeatedly made false statements on New York business records in order to cover up crimes related to the election. The evidence will show that he did so as part of a catch-and-kill scheme to suppress negative information about himself and improve his chances of winning the election. This involved making payments to people who claimed to have negative information, setting up shell companies, and making false statements in American Media Incorporated business records. The indictment also cites the wire payment to Stormy Daniels and the false statements about payments to Michael Cohen as additional examples of criminal conduct. The DA's office emphasized the importance of true and accurate business records, especially in Manhattan, and vowed to enforce white-collar crime.

For those who prefer the video, here is the link, but Q&A session wasn't included in the transcript. (Note, transcript taken from YT, no editing or spell checking, etc., was done)

Good afternoon. Thank you for joining us here today. Earlier this afternoon, Donald Trump was arraigned on a New York Supreme Court indictment returned by a Manhattan grand jury on 34 felony counts of falsifying business records in the first degree. Under New York state law, it is a felony to falsify business records with intent to defraud and an intent to conceal another crime.

That is exactly what this case is about - 34 false statements made to cover up other crimes. These are felony crimes in New York state, no matter who you are. We cannot and will not normalize serious criminal conduct.

The defendant repeatedly made false statements on New York business records. He also caused others to make false statements. The defendant claimed that he was paying Michael Cohen for legal services performed in 2017. This simply was not true, and it was a false statement that the defendant made month after month in April 2017, May, June and so on, through the rest of the year,

For nine straight months, the defendant held documents in his hand containing this key lie that he was paying Michael Cohen for legal services performed in 2017. And he personally signed checks for payments to Michael Cohen for each of these nine months. In total, the grand jury found there were 34 documents with this critical false statement.

Why did Donald Trump repeatedly make these false statements? The evidence will show that he did so to cover up crimes relating to the 2016 election. Donald Trump, executives at the publishing company American Media Incorporated, Mr. Cohen, and others agreed in 2015 to a catch-and-kill scheme - that is a scheme to buy and suppress negative information to help Mr. Trump's chance of winning the election.

As part of this scheme, Donald Trump and others made three payments to people who claim to have negative information about Mr. Trump. To make these payments, they set up shell companies and they made yet more false statements, including, for example, in AMI, American Media Incorporated business records.

One of the three people that they paid to keep quiet was a woman named Stormy Daniels. Less than two weeks before the presidential election, Michael Cohen wired to Stormy Daniels' lawyer. That payment was to hide damaging information from the voting public. The participant scheme was illegal. The scheme violated New York election law, which makes it a crime to conspire to promote a candidacy by unlawful means. The wire payment exceeded the federal campaign contribution cap and the false statements in Ami's books violated New York law.

That is why Mr. Trump made false statements about his payments to Mr. Cohen. He could not simply say that the payments were a reimbursement for Mr. Cohen's payments to Stormy Daniels. To do so, to make that true statement, would have been to admit a crime. So, instead, Mr. Trump said that he was paying Mr. Cohen for fictitious legal services in to cover up actual crime committed the prior year and in order to get Michael Cohen his money back.

They planned one last false statement. In order to complete the scheme, they planned to mischaracterize the repayments to Mr. Cohen as income to the New York state tax authorities.

The conduct I just described and that which was charged by the grand jury is felony criminal conduct in New York state. True and accurate business records are important everywhere. To be sure, they are all the more important in Manhattan, the financial center of the world.

That is why we have a history in the Manhattan DA's office of vigorously enforcing white-collar crime. My office, including the talented prosecutors you saw at arraignment earlier today, has charged hundreds of felony falsifying business records. This charge, it can be said, is the bread and butter of our white
Good post. Thanks.

:rolleyes: You evil fucking moron, dear lord how evil and empty inside you must be to conclude Bragg as such, you do not even comprehend what he just did, he charged the lawful president with a crime that literally does not exist, not passed the statute of limitations, or a tricked out misdemeanor, but rather does NOT exist in criminal code at all you room temperature IQ'd moron!

Did you not notice he failed to name that crime you fucking moron, this was a shameless campaign stunt, ordered by Biden and Garland so they could pose Trump before people just as stupid and clued out as yourself, in general election, specifically stupid female voters who totally out of touch with current events, will rally to Biden's campaign, that is all this was!

Bragg bats back, better.

Are you really this stupid….or just when you post here?

This is a political lynching by the democrats…….having made up charges, stacked the prosecutors, grand jury and judge with rabid democrats……and you post that crap?

You are dangerously stupid….

:rolleyes: You evil fucking moron, dear lord how evil and empty inside you must be to conclude Bragg as such, you do not even comprehend what he just did, he charged the lawful president with a crime that literally does not exist, not passed the statute of limitations, or a tricked out misdemeanor, but rather does NOT exist in criminal code at all you room temperature IQ'd moron!

Did you not notice he failed to name that crime you fucking moron, this was a shameless campaign stunt, ordered by Biden and Garland so they could pose Trump before people just as stupid and clued out as yourself, in general election, specifically stupid female voters who totally out of touch with current events, will rally to Biden's campaign, that is all this was!

It is a political lynching.

It is a political lynching.
That the high court would sit back and allow this is exactly why this will be descending into a real shooting war, this was ordered by Biden, no question about it.

Biden's the psychopath who wanted to charge Michael Flynn with the Logan Act, which was proven in written communications, nobody had ever been charged with violating the Logan Act, and urging it to be trotted out reveals Biden's particularly vicious expression of psychopathy.

That is exactly what is taking place here, Biden easily bought Bragg's office off, to produce this ludicrous attempt upon Trump, its so stupid and vicious it had to have been the psychopath who ordered it, he didn't name a crime, in other words he indicted Trump on the promise of "FINDING A CRIME" to prosecute!

Biden, Bragg, Garland, their lives are forfeited, this was a brazen act of sedition, they all need to be executed for it!

Death-Ninja, thank you for your input. Your claim is inaccurate. Please understand that there is no requirement by New York state law for District Attorney (DA) Alan Bragg to specify the precise code violations during a press conference regarding a criminal indictment, but it is generally expected that a DA will provide some level of detail when announcing an indictment to inform the public and maintain transparency, which he did, in fact, do. But the precise violations are listed in the indictment and the SOF is worth reading, as well:

Statement of Facts:

The Indictment charging document:

As I understand it, the 34 counts are felony counts of falsifying business records in the first degree (which Bragg did explain and he stated...) : committed"with intent to defraud and intent to commit another crime and aid and conceal the commission thereof." (which makes them first degree felony offences).

This type of crime is a bread and butter case for the NY DA's office, the point being that the charges are not unique to the President.

Death-Ninja, thank you for your input. Your claim is inaccurate. Please understand that there is no requirement by New York state law for District Attorney (DA) Alan Bragg to specify the precise code violations during a press conference regarding a criminal indictment, but it is generally expected that a DA will provide some level of detail when announcing an indictment to inform the public and maintain transparency, which he did, in fact, do. But the precise violations are listed in the indictment and the SOF is worth reading, as well:

Statement of Facts:

As I understand it, the 34 counts are felony counts of falsifying business records in the first degree (which Bragg did explain and he stated...) : committed"with intent to defraud and intent to commit another crime and aid and conceal the commission thereof." (which makes them first degree felony offences).

This type of crime is a bread and butter case for the NY DA's office, the point being that the charges are not unique to the President.

You need to remove head from rectum, more importantly you need to free self from your malignant political zealotry!

Statement of Facts:

So how is David?

You need to remove head from rectum, more importantly you need to free self from your malignant political zealotry!

Death-Ninja, it has come to my attention that Fox News is no longer credible! This was proven, incontrovertibly in the discovery phase of the Dominion defamation suit. Naturally, Fox News is not giving any media to the suit.

All the emails, texts, between the pundits and staff, the whole lot of them, including president and Murdoch, himself, reveals that Fox News is a veritable den of mendacious iniquity. They are all liars, putting on one face to the public, sycophantic to Trump et al and the cause on the other, all the while privately expressing doubt on his fraud claims that Democrats stole the election. Others, such as Sydney Powell, they believed were lunatics, but they were soft ball sycophants to them on air. In a private text, quite unlike his TV personna, Tucker Carlson referred to Trump as “a demonic force, a destroyer” Therefore, we simply cannot no longer trust Fox News! I am saddened by this development because I have sourced Fox in the past.

Moreover, in the article you have linked to, (alleged) 'legal scholar' Jonathan Turley impugns, without evidence, the integrity of the DA NY Bragg, but repeating the oft told right wing trope that the office 'politicized the criminal justice process' thereby pandering to his partisan fans on Fox. Personally, I lost respect for Turley for engaging in popular right wing partisan political views, (but before finally settling on the conservative side of the judicial philosophy spectrum, he was all over the place) clearly revealing he is not an impartial 'scholar' (as he is supposed to be) such as Turley has been criticized by some for his defense of President Donald Trump during Trump's impeachment trial in 2019, as well as for his opposition to the Affordable Care Act and his support for Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh's nomination. His support of Kavanaugh, for someone who is supposed to be 'just the facts, equality in law and all that, as a legal scholar, is troubling. He lowered himself to that of your typical mediocre television pundit. What Kavanaugh did during his confirmation hearing, that unmistakable petty partisan rant which evacuated his lips, a diatribe in which he played the victim, a verbal spate of "those democrats" grievances was woefully below the standard we should expect of a Supreme Court justice, And Turley supports him? No scholar worth his salt would back Kavanaugh as a Supreme Court Justice, in my personal opinion.

And what is Turley's big reveal insofar as 'ignoring this core legal principle"? His criticism was 'several times zero is still zero', an obvious reference to the 34 felony counts in which 34 checks written to Michael Cohen, which Turley alleges 'equal zero' but these were payments to reimburse Cohen for his payment of $130k and to Adult film star Stormy Daniels and $150k to Karen McDougal. However, the salient point is this is NOT unusual, this is standard practice for a prosecutor. If Bragg had bunched them all up, defense counsel could have raised the issue of wanting them separated, so this is not an uncommon practice. This is the BFD? But on the point of 'zero', really? Was not Turley listening to Bragg's press conference, did he not read the indictment and the statement of facts? Bragg clearly laid out how the charges relate to an underlying crime. How could Turley not know this? Well, as it turns out, Turley has no criminal law trial experience. I'll take the words of a 30 year veteran Washington DC Prosecutor Glenn Kirshner who said:

...34 felony counts for falsifying business records in his determination to steal the presidency in 2016
and what we saw today unsealed to day both in the indictment and the statement of facts that accompanied the indictment was a massive conspiracy, a massive scheme to basically the defraud the voters of the united states by concealing deeply damaging information and evidence about Donald Trumps unsuitability to be a candidate for the presidency"

As for Kavanaugh:

What America saw before the Senate Judiciary Committee was an injudicious man, an angry brat veering from fury to sniveling sobs, a judge so bereft of composure and proportion that it was difficult not to squirm.

Justice Stevens said, [Kavanaugh] revealed prejudices that would make it impossible for him to do the court’s work, a point he said had been made by prominent commentators.

I'm so sorry. Please use another source. WSJ, Forbes, TheHill, or the CS Monitor would be good, if you are picking one on the center/right.

In the deposition transcript:

Asked by a Dominion attorney whether "Fox endorsed at times this false notion of a stolen election," Murdoch demurred, saying, "Not Fox, no. Not Fox. But maybe Lou Dobbs, maybe Maria [Bartiromo] as commentators."

The lawyer pressed on. Did Fox's Bartiromo endorse it?

Murdoch's reply: "Yes. C'mon."

Fox News host Jeanine Pirro? "I think so."

Then-Fox Business Network host Dobbs? "Oh, a lot."

Fox News prime-time star Sean Hannity? "A bit."

Pressed whether they endorsed the narrative of a stolen election, Murdoch finally gave in: "Yes. They endorsed."

The indictment and statement of facts:

Last edited:

Statement of Facts:

Bullshit………..Andrew McCarthy over at National review took a flame thrower to your bullshit……..there is nothing in this crap from the democrats that is remotely legal……this is a political lynching …nothing more….

Statement of Facts:

What Andrew McCarthy does to your dumb post….

We’ve long anticipated that the case against Trump would be weak, but according to Andrew McCarthy, a senior fellow at National Review Institute and a former assistant U.S. attorney, it’s even worse than experts predicted. He argued that the case against Trump should be dismissed quickly.

“If the judge does his job right here, the case should be dismissed and it actually should be dismissed quickly,” he told Fox News anchor Neil Cavuto on Tuesday. “I agree with what my friends have said, but I think this is actually worse than what we anticipated. Because what we anticipated was that they were trying to bootstrap a misdemeanor—which, by the way, they’d have a good deal of difficulty proving if it was just a misdemeanor—but they need to show that he concealed another crime in supposedly falsifying the business records.”

If you’ve read the indictment, you know that McCarthy is correct.

“And what we’ve thought up until now is that … he was going to use that as an avenue to enforce federal campaign finance law,” McCarthy continued. “Now, maybe that’s what he’s planning to do, but he’s got to tell us what he’s planning to do, and more importantly, he’s got to tell Donald Trump. So I think this indictment—even before you get to the statute of limitations and whether he’s got jurisdiction to enforce federal law—I would dismiss it on its face because it fails to state a crime. Here it fails to state a crime 34 times!”

"Under our law, the defendant has the burden of proving an affirmative defense by a preponderance of the evidence"
FALSIFYING BUSINESS RECORDS
IN THE FIRST DEGREE
Penal Law § 175.10
(Committed on or after November 1, 1986)

In order for you to find the defendant guilty of this crime, the
People are required to prove, from all of the evidence in the case,
beyond a reasonable doubt, each of the following two elements:
1. That on or about (date) , in the county of (county) ,
the defendant, (defendant's name),
Select appropriate alternative:
made or caused a false entry in the business records
of an enterprise; or
altered, erased, obliterated, deleted, removed or
destroyed a true entry in the business records of an
enterprise; or
omitted to make a true entry in the business records
of an enterprise in violation of a duty to do so which
the defendant knew to be imposed upon him/her by
law or by the nature of his/her position; or
prevented the making of a true entry or caused the
omission thereof in the business records of an
enterprise; and,
2. That the defendant did so with intent to defraud that
included an intent to commit another crime or to aid or
conceal the commission thereof.
[Note: If the affirmative defense does not apply, conclude as
follows:
If you find the People have proven beyond a reasonable
doubt both of those elements, you must find the defendant guilty
of this crime.
If you find the People have not proven beyond a reasonable
doubt either one or both of those elements, you must find the
defendant not guilty of this crime.

Last edited:
That the high court would sit back and allow this is exactly why this will be descending into a real shooting war, this was ordered by Biden, no question about it.

Just look up the backgrounds on the Federal judges sitting on the local benches as well as the local judges. that is the whole story.

FALSIFYING BUSINESS RECORDS IN THE FIRST DEGREE Penal Law §175.10

a Donald J. Trump account check and check stub dated September 12, 2017, bearing check number 002908, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization.

an entry in the Detail General Ledger for Donald J. Trump, bearing voucher number 872654, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization.

a Donald J. Trump account check and check stub dated October 18, 2017, bearing check number 002944, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization.

an entry in the Detail General Ledger for Donald J. Trump, bearing voucher number 876511, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization.

a Donald J. Trump account check and check stub dated November 21, 2017, bearing check number 002980, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization

an invoice from Michael Cohen dated December 1, 2017, marked as a record of Donald J. Trump, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization.

an entry in the Detail General Ledger for Donald J. Trump, bearing voucher number 877785, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization.

a Donald J. Trump account check and check stub dated December 5, 2017, bearing check number 003006, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization.

THERE'S MORE. LOTS MORE. RECORDS LIKE THE NAZIS KEPT.

Just look up the backgrounds on the Federal judges sitting on the local benches as well as the local judges. that is the whole story.
SECTION 175.10

Falsifying business records in the first degree

Penal (PEN) CHAPTER 40, PART 3, TITLE K, ARTICLE 175

§ 175.10 Falsifying business records in the first degree.

A person is guilty of falsifying business records in the first degree
when he commits the crime of falsifying business records in the second
degree, and when his intent to defraud includes an intent to commit
another crime or to aid or conceal the commission thereof.

Falsifying business records in the first degree is a class E felony.

FALSIFYING BUSINESS RECORDS IN THE FIRST DEGREE Penal Law §175.10

a Donald J. Trump account check and check stub dated September 12, 2017, bearing check number 002908, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization.

an entry in the Detail General Ledger for Donald J. Trump, bearing voucher number 872654, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization.

a Donald J. Trump account check and check stub dated October 18, 2017, bearing check number 002944, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization.

an entry in the Detail General Ledger for Donald J. Trump, bearing voucher number 876511, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization.

a Donald J. Trump account check and check stub dated November 21, 2017, bearing check number 002980, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization

an invoice from Michael Cohen dated December 1, 2017, marked as a record of Donald J. Trump, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization.

an entry in the Detail General Ledger for Donald J. Trump, bearing voucher number 877785, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization.

a Donald J. Trump account check and check stub dated December 5, 2017, bearing check number 003006, and kept and maintained by the Trump Organization.

THERE'S MORE. LOTS MORE. RECORDS LIKE THE NAZIS KEPT.

NATZEES!!!! NATZEES!!!! lol

Biden's the psychopath who wanted to charge Michael Flynn with the Logan Act, which was proven in written communications, nobody had ever been charged with violating the Logan Act, and urging it to be trotted out reveals Biden's particularly vicious expression of psychopathy.

That is exactly what is taking place here, Biden easily bought Bragg's office off, to produce this ludicrous attempt upon Trump, its so stupid and vicious it had to have been the psychopath who ordered it, he didn't name a crime, in other words he indicted Trump on the promise of "FINDING A CRIME" to prosecute!

Biden, Bragg, Garland, their lives are forfeited, this was a brazen act of sedition, they all need to be executed for it!
Wow! You are psycho! :eek:

Forum List

Back