Trade Deficit with Mexico Hits All-Time High

View attachment 398655

I thought Trump was going to fix this?

So did he go back on his word or does he not understand how international trade works?

I've heard him put a lot of attention on the issue. Doesn't seem to have been enough. Maybe he needs to give up on negotiations and just put the tariff hammer down, hard.

You want him to enact more taxes on consumers?

I want him to protect American Manufacturing workers from having to compete on a level playing field with Third World labor making 3.50 an hour.

It's American manufacturers that are exploiting that labor to start with.

Maybe. I don't know or care about the ownership of the factories as much as I do the jobs.

We have ignored the value of jobs to our nation, in our trade policy for decades.

We need DECADES of pro-job policies to balance that out.

You can't do that without addressing the ownership but you say you don't care about that which in reality means you don't really care.

Sure you can.

Whether it is a Mexican company, or an International, or an American corporation, if they put the factory in Mexico, it does not have to have access to sell in America. At least not without a heavy tariff so AMERICAN MANUFACTURING WORKERS can compete.

I was pretty clear that was my position before. My point is clear. Your talk of "ownership" did not address it, yet you acted as though it refuted it.

Are you trying to gaslight me?

View attachment 398655

So did he go back on his word or does he not understand how international trade works?

I've heard him put a lot of attention on the issue. Doesn't seem to have been enough. Maybe he needs to give up on negotiations and just put the tariff hammer down, hard.

I want him to protect American Manufacturing workers from having to compete on a level playing field with Third World labor making 3.50 an hour.

Maybe. I don't know or care about the ownership of the factories as much as I do the jobs.

We have ignored the value of jobs to our nation, in our trade policy for decades.

You can't do that without addressing the ownership but you say you don't care about that which in reality means you don't really care.

Sure you can.

Whether it is a Mexican company, or an International, or an American corporation, if they put the factory in Mexico, it does not have to have access to sell in America. At least not without a heavy tariff so AMERICAN MANUFACTURING WORKERS can compete.

A tax on consumers.

I was pretty clear that was my position before. My point is clear. Your talk of "ownership" did not address it, yet you acted as though it refuted it.

Yes, you are clear you support a tax that largely hurts the lower and middle classes as opposed to addressing the companies themselves.

View attachment 398655

Mexico is not China. The US focus is to get manufacturing out of China. While bringing it back home would be ideal, with the insane environmental regulations in America that isn't going to happen in most cases. Mexico is a vastly better alternative to China.

View attachment 398662

Mostly this is driven by Mexico falling into recession due to the Wuhan virus and not buying consumer goods.
Bring the manufacturing from China to Central America. Fairly cheap labor and it would give them jobs so that they wouldn't be needing to come up here.

View attachment 398655

Sure you can.

A tax on consumers.

Yes, you are clear you support a tax that largely hurts the lower and middle classes as opposed to addressing the companies themselves.

The consumers can easily avoid the tax by Buying American.

You want to tell me how American labor is supposed to compete with a work force where the average wage is 3.50 an hour?

View attachment 398655

Sure you can.

A tax on consumers.

No they can't.

Why Americans don’t make televisions anymore

Even when you can find an exception they are "assembled" here using Chinese parts. Parts I would assume that would be taxed.

A refrigerator is a huge investment for your home, and it’s hard finding models that are made with U.S. parts and by the U.S. workforce.

Best Refrigerators Made in the USA: 2020 - All American Reviews

Again you are arguing to make things hard on consumers as opposed to addressing the companies.

You want to tell me how American labor is supposed to compete with a work force where the average wage is 3.50 an hour?

Where I retired from we did it all the time. We did it through innovation and offering the absolute best product around. Now the company did offer our product made in China but most end users rejected it because the quality was lousy.

View attachment 398655

Sure you can.

A tax on consumers.

No they can't.

Even when you can find an exception they are "assembled" here using Chinese parts. Parts I would assume that would be taxed.

A refrigerator is a huge investment for your home, and it’s hard finding models that are made with U.S. parts and by the U.S. workforce.

Again you are arguing to make things hard on consumers as opposed to addressing the companies.

Where I retired from we did it all the time. We did it through innovation and offering the absolute best product around. Now the company did offer our product made in China but most end users rejected it because the quality was lousy.
We have huge urban communities that would love to build these.. this is what urban areas are for we need manufacturing.. but because of fake global alarmist they kill off poor Americans

View attachment 398655

Sure you can.

A tax on consumers.

No they can't.

No job or field is safe from foreign competition. Third World nations are aiming to compete in higher end products, AND other first world nations, such a Europe, Japan, South Korea, are all just as aggressive in aiming to get the jobs for their citizens.

We need to be as aggressive in pursuit of our economic interests as the rest of the world is, or we will always be their bitch.

View attachment 398655

Sure you can.

A tax on consumers.

No they can't.

We have huge urban communities that would love to build these.. this is what urban areas are for we need manufacturing.. but because of fake global alarmist they kill off poor Americans

We do and we should. We have known this for decades. All we get is lip service. Wall Street isn't interested and Wall Street runs the country.

View attachment 398655

Sure you can.

A tax on consumers.

No they can't.

No job or field is safe from foreign competition. Third World nations are aiming to compete in higher end products, AND other first world nations, such a Europe, Japan, South Korea, are all just as aggressive in aiming to get the jobs for their citizens.

We need to be as aggressive in pursuit of our economic interests as the rest of the world is, or we will always be their bitch.

Germany doesn't allow a German company to leave the country and then sell their lower priced items in Germany.

View attachment 398655

Sure you can.

A tax on consumers.

No they can't.

We do and we should. We have known this for decades. All we get is lip service. Wall Street isn't interested and Wall Street runs the country.
Democrats run these areas own land refuse to allow this type of construction.. they want blacks to starve off

View attachment 398655

Sure you can.

A tax on consumers.

No they can't.

Democrats run these areas own land refuse to allow this type of construction.. they want blacks to starve off

No one has refused to allow "this type of construction". Sheesh.

You are projecting.

View attachment 398655

Sure you can.

A tax on consumers.

No they can't.

You are projecting.
Cool what major urban city do you live in??

View attachment 398655

Sure you can.

A tax on consumers.

No they can't.

You are projecting.

I don't at the moment but I was born in Cleveland Ohio. Where I live is irrelevant though.

View attachment 398655

Sure you can.

A tax on consumers.

No they can't.

You are projecting.

I don't at the moment but I was born in Cleveland Ohio. Where I live is irrelevant though.
I didn’t think you did, The building standards urban areas have bylaw Eliminates any type of manufacturing going to any urban area if you eliminate these ridiculous standards you would have tons of business is bidding to get into areas where they can get the product out to a Huge amount of people saving billions and millions from shipping from China and trucking.

View attachment 398655

Mexico is not China. The US focus is to get manufacturing out of China. While bringing it back home would be ideal, with the insane environmental regulations in America that isn't going to happen in most cases. Mexico is a vastly better alternative to China.

View attachment 398662

Mostly this is driven by Mexico falling into recession due to the Wuhan virus and not buying consumer goods.
Bring the manufacturing from China to Central America. Fairly cheap labor and it would give them jobs so that they wouldn't be needing to come up here.

Yep. Problem is skilled labor, but a generation back that was the problem in Mexico too.

View attachment 398655

Sure you can.

A tax on consumers.

No they can't.

You are projecting.

I didn’t think you did, The building standards urban areas have bylaw Eliminates any type of manufacturing going to any urban area if you eliminate these ridiculous standards you would have tons of business is bidding to get into areas where they can get the product out to a Huge amount of people saving billions and millions from shipping from China and trucking.

You are lying.

View attachment 398655

I wonder if the covid has anything to do with it???
View attachment 398655

I wonder if the covid had anything to do with it???

View attachment 398655

View attachment 398662

The answer to my question is he doesn’t understand trade, like most people who think tariffs will work.

As I’ve pointed out here numerous times, the trade deficit is a function of the capital deficit in this country, ie we don’t have enough savings to fund our spending. So we have to import capital. To fund this capital, we MUST run a trade deficit. And we’ve never saved less than we are now. It’s basic macroeconomics.

Thinking raising taxes on trade, ie tariffs, solves this problem misunderstands the nature of the problem.

BTW, I saw a graphic a few days ago estimating that China is now ~30% more expensive as a manufacturing economy than Mexico. That’s mostly due to the rise of labor costs in China.

Forum List

Back