Toys for Tots Rejects Jesus Doll

As a bit of an aside, I find it rather ironic that replacing a few words yields most's position in stark opposition to what they believe... check it out:
Abbey Normal said:
Our child knows what we believe. If she goes agianst all of her upbringing because someone has sex on TV, then we must not have done such a hot job, ey?

Christians believe the Bible when it says that if you train up a child in the way he should go, he will not depart from it. Not in the long term anyway, lol. I put my trust and faith as a mother in those words.
or
Jillian said:
Would you want someone else influencing your young child's sexual morals? I think each of us are supposed to give our kids what WE think is appropriate. It's not for outsiders to influence kids in that fashion, IMO.

I was talking specifically about B&N. But it is interesting how non-Christians love to say that Jesus was a great philosopher, etc., but letting a child hear his words is somehow awful. Seems to be some hypocrisy there. But Toys for Tots is probably smart to decide as it has.

Saying you taught your child to respect all religions, but not treat them all as equal makes a nice sound bite , but upon closer examination, it's problematic.
We should respect people, and we should respect their freedom to practice their religion, but we do not have to respect the actual beliefs. If that is the sentiment you are passing on to your child, I can see why you would be a bit fearful of someone influencing him.

Respect means I don't interfere in what you're teaching your child, even if I believe it is misguided.

Now... how would you feel if I gave your child a book that said, Jesus was an Essene Rabbi; was probably married because it was the obligation of all Jewish fathers to make sure their son was married and had a family; that the last supper was a Seder; that Jesus' name would have been Yeshua, not Jesus because he would have spoken Aramaic or Hebrew and not Latin; that he was probably dark and semitic looking (not blonde and blue-eyed) and that the Messiah hasn't come yet?

Now... I'd never do any of those things because I respect your right as a parent to guide your child's religious beliefs.

That's what I mean by respect. It's none of my business what you teach your child as long as what you teach him or her has no ill effect on anyone else.

Mostly I agree with Clay. Barnes and Noble and Toys for Tots aren't the forums in which to prosyletize.... to someone else's children.

Then the child gives the gift to another. (shrug). Nobody has a RIGHT to always like the gift they get; they DO have a responsibility to receive a gift with honor and respect, however.
NO! Don't perpetuate chain gift giving! I DON'T WANT YOUR SHITTY TOASTER OVEN YOU ASSHOLE. :tongue1:

NO! Don't perpetuate chain gift giving!

fruitcake.JPG

Respect means I don't interfere in what you're teaching your child, even if I believe it is misguided.

Now... how would you feel if I gave your child a book that said, Jesus was an Essene Rabbi; was probably married because it was the obligation of all Jewish fathers to make sure their son was married and had a family; that the last supper was a Seder; that Jesus' name would have been Yeshua, not Jesus because he would have spoken Aramaic or Hebrew and not Latin; that he was probably dark and semitic looking (not blonde and blue-eyed) and that the Messiah hasn't come yet?

Now... I'd never do any of those things because I respect your right as a parent to guide your child's religious beliefs.

That's what I mean by respect. It's none of my business what you teach your child as long as what you teach him or her has no ill effect on anyone else.

Mostly I agree with Clay. Barnes and Noble and Toys for Tots aren't the forums in which to prosyletize.... to someone else's children.

They're CHRISTMAS gifts.

The program has reversed their decision based on this logic: If you're gonna sign up to receive free christmas gifts and then bitch if you get something related to christ, screw you.

Besides that, RWA, no one that might receive these gifts is complaining. It seems only those who have a problem with the Toys for Tots decision are upset. Maybe CP could tell us why, it's his thread.
But it's so much easier to just run away.

OK, I think I can resolve this.

To even things out, we could hand out beheadable infidel dolls to the Muslim kids (You can behead him in the name of Allah again and again! The fun never stops!) And if any Jewish kids get an unwanted Jesus doll, they can just put in a request for the mini crucifix, nails and hammer toy set.

Merry Kwanzmukkhus, everyone!

OK, I think I can resolve this.

To even things out, we could hand out beheadable infidel dolls to the Muslim kids (You can behead him in the name of Allah again and again! The fun never stops!) And if any Jewish kids get an unwanted Jesus doll, they can just put in a request for the mini crucifix, nails and hammer toy set.

Merry Kwanzmukkhus, everyone!

Better yet--make it illegal to give someone of a different faith a gift at all because it might be offensive and it might be given by a person who had subversive spititual motives. Your kid will get a gift from a Christian and BAM. His mind will be corrupted.
No interfaith giving !!!!

Toys for tots... for christmas, idiot.
You're actually right. Must be a full moon!
U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program

MISSION: The mission of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program is to collect new, unwrapped toys during October, November and December each year, and distribute those toys as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community in which the campaign is conducted.

GOAL: The primary goal of Toys for Tots is to deliver, through a shiny new toy at Christmas, a message of hope to needy youngsters that will motivate them to grow into responsible, productive, patriotic citizens and community leaders.

OBJECTIVES: The objectives of Toys for Tots are to help needy children throughout the United States experience the joy of Christmas; to play an active role in the development of one of our nation's most valuable natural resources - our children; to unite all members of local communities in a common cause for three months each year during the annual toy collection and distribution campaign; and to contribute to better communities in the future.

Forum List

Back