Toys for Tots Rejects Jesus Doll

I do wonder, however, if they'd accept a talking doll of Muhammed?

Toys are donated to kids based on financial need and "we don't know anything about their background, their religious affiliations," said Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Va.

As a government entity, Marines "don't profess one religion over another," Grein said Tuesday.

Pretty clear to me.

Really? Where was it that you discovered this motivation ? If you were on a witness stand and I were to ask you if you had any proof to back up this claim you better answer "no" or it would be perjury.

And yet you yourself are always making claims whether it be about Iraq or homos or whatever...She is entitled to her opinion, and there is thing called circumstantial evidence. If it talks, walks and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. Still, I think all a kid would want is a toy.

And yet you yourself are always making claims whether it be about Iraq or homos or whatever...She is entitled to her opinion, and there is thing called circumstantial evidence. If it talks, walks and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. Still, I think all a kid would want is a toy.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dr Grump again.

Actually, the real reason those toys were donated was because who the fuck in their right mind would buy a 1-foot talking Jesus doll?

I wonder how it feels to produce a toy they can't even GIVE away. :laugh:

Barnes & Noble has a display filled with bookmarks, and each one has a child's name on it. The idea is to buy a book for a child, and B&N will take care of giving it to the child.

The display says to buy a book that you "think that child will like", and gives you only a name to go on. So, what do you think would happen if someone were to buy a children's Bible for donation?

Barnes & Noble has a display filled with bookmarks, and each one has a child's name on it. The idea is to buy a book for a child, and B&N will take care of giving it to the child.

The display says to buy a book that you "think that child will like", and gives you only a name to go on. So, what do you think would happen if someone were to buy a children's Bible for donation?
I would expect it would not make it to that child.

Would you want someone else influencing your young child's religious beliefs? I think each of us are supposed to give our kids what WE think is appropriate. It's not for outsiders to influence kids in that fashion, IMO.

As sad as I think it is that people would not want a talking Jesus doll, I think Mr. P nailed it when he said the co. was just trying to unload toys it couldn't sell.

Would you want someone else influencing your young child's religious beliefs? I think each of us are supposed to give our kids what WE think is appropriate. It's not for outsiders to influence kids in that fashion, IMO.

If I was poor enough to need a hand out, I would accept the gift graciously. Also, there is poetry and beautiful literature in the Bible which could benefit any child's learning.

In any event, my child has known what we believe since she could walk and talk, so influence is not an issue for us. Parents whose children are raised in a home where religion is not given high priority, or where they are taught that all religions are equal, would have more to worry about.

The point is, if B&N gives such loosey-goosey guidelines, they should expect to receive all kinds of books. But I think we all know the won't accept *some*.

If I was poor enough to need a hand out, I would accept the gift graciously. Also, there is poetry and beautiful literature in the Bible which could benefit any child's learning.

In any event, my child has known what we believe since she could walk and talk, so influence is not an issue for us. Parents whose children are raised in a home where religion is not given high priority, or where they are taught that all religions are equal, would have more to worry about.

The point is, if B&N gives such loosey-goosey guidelines, they should expect to receive all kinds of books. But I think we all know the won't accept *some*.

Well, I'm grateful my son doesn't need Toys for Tots to have a good holiday, too. But someone else being poor doesn't mean that they have to be prosyletized to. As for teaching religion, that's fine as far as it goes. We are certainly each free to believe or not believe as we choose.

And I don't tell my son all religions are equal, hence my not wanting anyone else trying to influence a 9 year old in that regard. What I teach him is that people's beliefs are to be respected, regardless of whether they are our beliefs or not. But if I chose not to pass on any religion to my child, that's between me and my husband and not for an outsider to interfere with.

I don't think Toys for Tots should be used as a forum for a political statement, which is clearly what this is.

Well, I'm grateful my son doesn't need Toys for Tots to have a good holiday, too. But someone else being poor doesn't mean that they have to be prosyletized to. As for teaching religion, that's fine as far as it goes. We are certainly each free to believe or not believe as we choose.

And I don't tell my son all religions are equal, hence my not wanting anyone else trying to influence a 9 year old in that regard. What I teach him is that people's beliefs are to be respected, regardless of whether they are our beliefs or not. But if I chose not to pass on any religion to my child, that's between me and my husband and not for an outsider to interfere with.

I don't think Toys for Tots should be used as a forum for a political statement, which is clearly what this is.
Correction.

This is a business dumping failed product. Either the company is masking it as a political statement for publicity, or someone else is making it one because Target ads are already out saying "Merry Christmas."

Two fucking weeks before thanksgiving and there are Christmas commercials. :lame2:

I was talking specifically about B&N. But it is interesting how non-Christians love to say that Jesus was a great philosopher, etc., but letting a child hear his words is somehow awful. Seems to be some hypocrisy there. But Toys for Tots is probably smart to decide as it has.

Saying you taught your child to respect all religions, but not treat them all as equal makes a nice sound bite , but upon closer examination, it's problematic.
We should respect people, and we should respect their freedom to practice their religion, but we do not have to respect the actual beliefs. If that is the sentiment you are passing on to your child, I can see why you would be a bit fearful of someone influencing him.

What if your child got a Koran for kids? It's the same argument.

Yes, it is the same argument. As I've said, a gift should be graciously received. Our child knows what we believe. If she goes agianst all of her upbringing because someone gives her a Koran, then we must not have done such a hot job, ey?

Christians believe the Bible when it says that if you train up a child in the way he should go, he will not depart from it. Not in the long term anyway, lol. I put my trust and faith as a mother in those words.

Yes, it is the same argument. As I've said, a gift should be graciously received. Our child knows what we believe. If she goes agianst all of her upbringing because someone gives her a Koran, then we must not have done such a hot job, ey?

Christians believe the Bible when it says that if you train up a child in the way he should go, he will not depart from it. Not in the long term anyway, lol. I put my trust and faith as a mother in those words.
But the point is, a Koran would serve little use to a child in need of some smiles. And while many would like to believe a Bible would, the reality is that for the vast majority, Barbie vs. Bible is a no contest.

Forum List

Back