Top Bass Guitar Players All Time

Best is purely subjective but dang Entwistle has to be in the conversation and I'm not even a huge Who fan.

Arthur Barrow

Sure, people can now play what he played, but how many have the skills and imagination to make it up on the spot playing alongside Frank Zappa and Vinnie Colaiuta?

McCartney?

Yes. John Paul Jones too.

The skill of inventing and composing a melody, on bass or vocals (Robert Plant, e.g.) is completely separate from being able to replay it

Many of these lists feel like the now eliminated technical portion of Olympic figure skating. There are undoubtedly great bass players who can play Van Halen’s “Eruption” but they’re replaying what someone else already laid down.

My view is what did they do in real time when they had to let the music flow through them?

Yes. John Paul Jones too.

The skill of inventing and composing a melody, on bass or vocals (Robert Plant, e.g.) is completely separate from being able to replay it

Many of these lists feel like the now eliminated technical portion of Olympic figure skating. There are undoubtedly great bass players who can play Van Halen’s “Eruption” but they’re replaying what someone else already laid down.

My view is what did they do in real time when they had to let the music flow through them?
John Paul Jones is very good.

The first time I heard "What is and what should never be" in 1969 I thought, "this guy has been playing bass for 100 years"
I play bass guitar and so I have a good perspective regarding the better bass guitar players. I always had great admiration for John Paul Jones.

Forum List

Back