Top 10 martial arts for self defense

Judo and karate is just about dead in America

Most guys do BJJ or Muay Thai
Most kids do TKD or wrestling

Even Krav Maga is on a big decline

I am just a hobbyist but I think I can accurately post it

1) MMA - you get a good mix of everything and it’s famous ground and pound

2) Boxing - easy to learn and highly effective . Just don’t think you will ever be mayweather

3) wrestling - has plenty of standing and ground and you will dominate . Very complex ‘

4) Muay Thai - fightinge with 8 limbs !! Easy to learn but you may never be good

5) BJJ.- ground submission system that is harder than advanced calculus

6)judo - one good throw ends it but it’s very killer on the body and super complex and loses effectiveness with the no gi
There is no best style.

Most fights end in seconds and the guy who gets the first good hit usually wins.

That said I would look at Krav Maga. It's not a style based fighting it's more down and dirty real world.

And that said if you have no option but to fight you go for a throat punch, rake the eyes or a hard shot to the groin.

There is no such thing as an illegal strike in the real world
You mean chop the throat or poke the eyes in a jab
You are not going to rake the eyes in real life

If you're close enough to punch you are close enough to rake the guys face across his eyes.

The throat punch is my first choice
Better to knife hand chop the throat or use web hand

If you lounge and try to rake the eyes .he will naturally close them ,and pull back and you’re wide open with zero defense

MMA system will give you the best of everything but you will only be mediocre in everything
Still the best system if you can find a gym with UFC ties

2) Boxing - easy to learn and highly effective . Just don’t think you will ever be mayweather

3) wrestling - has plenty of standing and ground and you will dominate . Very complex ‘

4) Muay Thai - fightinge with 8 limbs !! Easy to learn but you may never be good

6)judo - one good throw ends it but it’s very killer on the body and super complex and loses effectiveness with the no gi
There is no best style.

Most fights end in seconds and the guy who gets the first good hit usually wins.

That said I would look at Krav Maga. It's not a style based fighting it's more down and dirty real world.

And that said if you have no option but to fight you go for a throat punch, rake the eyes or a hard shot to the groin.

If you're close enough to punch you are close enough to rake the guys face across his eyes.

If you lounge and try to rake the eyes .he will naturally close them ,and pull back and you’re wide open with zero defense

At this point in my life I'm going to use a weapon. I'm not going to start any fights.

There is no best style.

At this point in my life I'm going to use a weapon. I'm not going to start any fights.
What weapon ??
A concealed revolver or pistol

There is no best style.

What weapon ??
A concealed revolver or pistol

I always carry a pistol. Revolvers are for Westerns. I usually carry a Glock 19 loaded with hollow points. I have several other handguns that i might carry depending on what I'm wearing ( winter coat etc)

I always have a fixed blade on me as well

never bring martial arts......to a gun or knife fight.
The martial arts may allow you to gain control of your enemy's weapon and use it against him.

Anyone with a gun who stands close enough to have it taken, deserves to have it taken.
Agreed.
We practiced disarming assailants with kicks.
I could do it at one time. I could snap a kick to the wrist hard enough to break a gun free faster than you could react and squeeze the trigger.

Anyone who trained enough could do ever better. I miss my youth.
Inside five feet a nife is the answer over five feet gun. Tell me your kicking my shit out my hand.lol martial arts is good exercise though.

Main thing is to be in the best physical shape you can be in. And practice ,practice. Like I tell young children and women ,its okay to fight dirty!

Main thing is to be in the best physical shape you can be in. And practice ,practice. Like I tell young children and women ,its okay to fight dirty!
The problem here is that "fighting dirty" is not the way to win. It's not a wrestling match or a boxing tournament. Those are not the rules we are talking about here. In fact, when you're calling the cops and going to court with your women and children, you had better not be "fighting dirty."

The problem here is that "fighting dirty" is not the way to win. It's not a wrestling match or a boxing tournament. Those are not the rules we are talking about here. In fact, when you're calling the cops and going to court with your women and children, you had better not be "fighting dirty."
Right ?? You combine wrestling plus boxing and you have a killer !!
You try to bite or eye poke ..they can do it from a superior position and now you escalated it to life and death ..so you get zero mercy

Having been in one or two bad situations the stranger attacking you wont care about fighting nice. You do what you can to save yourself. You may want to fight clean ,but if there meaning you harm they will not. I have a chewed up right thumb and a few other scars to show for it. IT is not something I am proud of and glad to see the scars are finally starting to fade.

Right ?? You combine wrestling plus boxing and you have a killer !!
You try to bite or eye poke ..they can do it from a superior position and now you escalated it to life and death ..so you get zero mercy
Yall ever watch any old episodes of fight science? I think you would love it.

A preventative kick in the nuts may be your best defense. Temporarily disables the aggressor while giving time to escape the situation.

Make sure to bring your referee and time keeper with you to ensure your fight doesn’t exceed 5 minutes and your opponent gets penalized for eye gouging or groin kicks.

A good friend once told me... “Fights don’t have rules. If there are rules it’s a game or a sport, not a fight.”

Make sure to bring your referee and time keeper with you to ensure your fight doesn’t exceed 5 minutes and your opponent gets penalized for eye gouging or groin kicks.

A good friend once told me... “Fights don’t have rules. If there are rules it’s a game or a sport, not a fight.”
Right ?? You get choked or kneed in the face then it’s over

The martial arts may allow you to gain control of your enemy's weapon and use it against him.

Anyone with a gun who stands close enough to have it taken, deserves to have it taken.
Agreed.
I could do it at one time. I could snap a kick to the wrist hard enough to break a gun free faster than you could react and squeeze the trigger.

Inside five feet a nife is the answer over five feet gun. Tell me your kicking my shit out my hand.lol martial arts is good exercise though.

Why is a knife only good within 5 feet? Don't you know you can throw those things, accurately 15 feet if you practice, and they are silent and quicker than pulling a gun and trying to aim it?

Nothing worse than thinking you are attacking someone only to find a knife sticking out of your chest before you even know you've been attacked instead.

And as far as the top 10 best martial arts, that is all BS. The best martial art is the one that's the best fit for you that you're best at.

Agreed.

Why is a knife only good within 5 feet? Don't you know you can throw those things, accurately 15 feet if you practice, and they are silent and quicker than pulling a gun and trying to aim it?

Nothing worse than thinking you are attacking someone only to find a knife sticking out of your chest before you even know you've been attacked instead.

And as far as the top 10 best martial arts, that is all BS. The best martial art is the one that's the best fit for you that you're best at.
Nope never learned to throw one. Spent some time trying just not good at it. The pistol on the other hand felt like an extension of my own body. Course I lived in the middle of know where and . .that pistol was my only form of entertainment. I had a brother and sister but much much younger . I was more like a parent to them than brother. Finally when I turned 13 had a family move about a mile from me. The had a daughter named Sandy. I had some things to do other than my pistol then. Lol God she was hot.

Forum List

Back