Top 10 martial arts for self defense

Right ?? You get choked or kneed in the face then it’s over

If I’m being choked or kneed, then my self-defense failed long ago. Self-defense starts at a range of 15-20 yards, not arms length.

That’s part of why I can’t suggest MMA as a “self-defense” system. MMA assumes the physical fight is inevitable. Self-defense is about avoiding the incident if possible, minimizing it if that’s not possible, and using whatever tools are available to win the fight if necessary.

That’s why I stopped taking Krav Maga at the school where I was a regular for four years. They had a change in primary instructors and stopped teaching self-defense in deference to martial arts. I’m not interested in martial arts, only self-defense.

Nope never learned to throw one. Spent some time trying just not good at it.

Well, it helps to have knives balanced for throwing. My personal favorite is the hatchet. Nothing strike terror in a person like seeing and hearing a hatchet coming at you! The problem with a gun is that it takes about 4X as long to carry out the act of pointing and aiming, then the recoil forces you to bring it back under control, absorb the recoil and aim again.

And several throwing knives are easier to conceal than even a small caliber pistol!

Nothing against guns, but its never a bad idea to carry a knife as well as a gun. Each has their apps.

Well, it helps to have knives balanced for throwing. My personal favorite is the hatchet. Nothing strike terror in a person like seeing and hearing a hatchet coming at you! The problem with a gun is that it takes about 4X as long to carry out the act of pointing and aiming, then the recoil forces you to bring it back under control, absorb the recoil and aim again.

And several throwing knives are easier to conceal than even a small caliber pistol!

Nothing against guns, but its never a bad idea to carry a knife as well as a gun. Each has their apps.
Inside 20 foot i am shooting from the hip. I can aim and fire pretty quickly. Never tried throwing a hatchet. Would not mind learning. There is a farm that I pass every week in the summer when go home from my place on the lake that have targets for are and hatchet throwing. Some times I see a bunch of them out there throwing maybe I will stop sometimes and try and make some friends. I usually do not need two shots to hit my target. That being said I have never experienced a true close quarters life and death situation. In the military if I left a body that most likely meant mission failure. I never left one. I am one of those people who can walk through a crowded room and have no one notice me. I typically avoid any types of danger. I would be real surprised if I ever actually did face a close quarters situation. Especially since now aday about all I do is fish and hunt with good friends. Not sure you noticed I am not on here for 8 months at a time. During fishing season I am on lake erie 12 to 16 hours a day.

Inside 20 foot i am shooting from the hip.

Just remember, inside 20 feet:
  1. The other guy can now throw a knife at you.
  2. He is only two steps away from reaching you.
  3. Shooting from the hip you could miss and won't get a second chance.
  4. Pulling a gun, a smart man could dive, roll, making a very difficult moving target, and come up right beside you to break your knee with a kick, a groin kick or a knife to the groin.
And I won't even get into other possibilities like having small lead weights thrown at you (they are meant to temporarily stun) or even salt in the eyes to blind you (can be dry or in a solution that breaks on impact).

Did I mention anything about carrying a 2-foot steel wire? :smoke: (it has grip handles on each end)

Just stuff to think about.

The best offense is the one that completely catches the other guy totally by surprise. People are LOOKING for, expecting (and practice for) knives and guns. :eusa_whistle:

Inside 20 foot i am shooting from the hip.

Just remember, inside 20 feet:
  1. The other guy can now throw a knife at you.
  2. He is only two steps away from reaching you.
  3. Shooting from the hip you could miss and won't get a second chance.
  4. Pulling a gun, a smart man could dive, roll, making a very difficult moving target, and come up right beside you to break your knee with a kick, a groin kick or a knife to the groin.
And I won't even get into other possibilities like having small lead weights thrown at you (they are meant to temporarily stun) or even salt in the eyes to blind you (can be dry or in a solution that breaks on impact).

Did I mention anything about carrying a 2-foot steel wire? :smoke: (it has grip handles on each end)

Just stuff to think about.

The best offense is the one that completely catches the other guy totally by surprise. People are LOOKING for, expecting (and practice for) knives and guns. :eusa_whistle:
I am interested in learning some other methods also something else I could offer clients to learn. I think most fisherman and hunters would be pretty interested. Of course I am a pretty old dog. Harder for me to learn new tricks. I have some younger captains that could go learn this stuff. Those people at that farm look like they are having a blast. Couple of those captains are already into marshal arts training. Where you go to learn how to throw knives and such these days?

Right ?? You get choked or kneed in the face then it’s over

If I’m being choked or kneed, then my self-defense failed long ago. Self-defense starts at a range of 15-20 yards, not arms length.

That’s part of why I can’t suggest MMA as a “self-defense” system. MMA assumes the physical fight is inevitable. Self-defense is about avoiding the incident if possible, minimizing it if that’s not possible, and using whatever tools are available to win the fight if necessary.

That’s why I stopped taking Krav Maga at the school where I was a regular for four years. They had a change in primary instructors and stopped teaching self-defense in deference to martial arts. I’m not interested in martial arts, only self-defense.
Funny I also quit Krav after 4 years after they got rid of the head coach and the class became fitness defense
Maybe we know each other by face lol

Inside 20 foot i am shooting from the hip. I can aim and fire pretty quickly. Never tried throwing a hatchet. Would not mind learning. There is a farm that I pass every week in the summer when go home from my place on the lake that have targets for are and hatchet throwing. Some times I see a bunch of them out there throwing maybe I will stop sometimes and try and make some friends. I usually do not need two shots to hit my target. That being said I have never experienced a true close quarters life and death situation. In the military if I left a body that most likely meant mission failure. I never left one. I am one of those people who can walk through a crowded room and have no one notice me. I typically avoid any types of danger. I would be real surprised if I ever actually did face a close quarters situation. Especially since now aday about all I do is fish and hunt with good friends. Not sure you noticed I am not on here for 8 months at a time. During fishing season I am on lake erie 12 to 16 hours a day.
You unload at 20 feet against an unarmed person and you’re going to spend decades in prison

Of course I am a pretty old dog. Harder for me to learn new tricks.

The best offense for us old guys is simple, nothing fancy, straight to the point. One nice little gadget out there is this thing a company makes that folds down to about 12" but when you point it, it shoots out and telescopes with great force about 3 feet long making a strong, stiff steel rod with a brutal end that is hell to get hit in the face, throat, eye with making an effective baton.

Then there is the trusty cane with curved handle. That handle can hook, catch, hit, and many of them come with a concealed sword inside that you can pull out.

Krav is a good system but it has its flaws
It’s better than tkd / karate but inferior to mma arts

The best offense for us old guys is simple, nothing fancy, straight to the point. One nice little gadget out there is this thing a company makes that folds down to about 12" but when you point it, it shoots out and telescopes with great force about 3 feet long making a strong, stiff steel rod with a brutal end that is hell to get hit in the face, throat, eye with making an effective baton.

Then there is the trusty cane with curved handle. That handle can hook, catch, hit, and many of them come with a concealed sword inside that you can pull out.
Whatever happened to fighting with no weapons

There's that too.

Funny I also quit Krav after 4 years after they got rid of the head coach and the class became fitness defense
Maybe we know each other by face lol

Not unless you live in Massachusetts.
They replaced it with fitness girls lol
It was a joke
Then I quit my Muay Thai program as the coach was a bad guy
I quit BJJ after a coaching change , too
Now I am quitting mma as the new coach sucks

I guess it was never meant to be !!
Most coaches are erratic and disappear fast

I guess my days are over
What can I do ???

I could contact the old coach in Feb about private lessons ?? It’s going to cost me

They replaced it with fitness girls lol
It was a joke
Then I quit my Muay Thai program as the coach was a bad guy
I quit BJJ after a coaching change , too
Now I am quitting mma as the new coach sucks

At mine the main trainer left. The school was then sold and the new owner (who owns several other Krav schools) changed the curriculum to be more oriented towards the routines of martial arts rather than real self defense.

You unload at 20 feet against an unarmed person and you’re going to spend decades in prison
Ya, I am aware. We are only talking life and death situations here and kinda moved a bit beyond the martial arts conversation and axes and throwing knives entered in which may stay inside confines of conversation knives and ax training probably inside martial arts training some where.

Ya, I have cane with a blade in it. I have seen the telescoping baton never with major force on the extension. Must be spring loaded?

Got to old and tired. Ain't looking for fights at my age just wanna protect myself. I will leave bucking to be alpha male to the youth. Was never alpha male in fisticuffs any way. I always had two guys with me that turn me into a pretzel. True freaks of nature. Knew I couldn't take them at that point whats there to prove. They did some jockeying for that position. My job in the group was to be the one to keep things from getting stupid and keep everyone from going to jail.

I am just a hobbyist but I think I can accurately post it

1) MMA - you get a good mix of everything and it’s famous ground and pound

2) Boxing - easy to learn and highly effective . Just don’t think you will ever be mayweather

3) wrestling - has plenty of standing and ground and you will dominate . Very complex ‘

4) Muay Thai - fightinge with 8 limbs !! Easy to learn but you may never be good

5) BJJ.- ground submission system that is harder than advanced calculus

6)judo - one good throw ends it but it’s very killer on the body and super complex and loses effectiveness with the no gi
Jujitsu is too low. Muay Thai too high.

Forum List

Back