Too much customer service?

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
Here in Florida we have a grocery chain called Publix. They pride themselves in their customer service. Their prices are not the lowest in town, but their consistant customer service ratings keeps this 60 year old chain defeating all contenders with lower prices. Personally, I'm not a person who needs a lot of customer service so it isn't high on my list for the grocery store. I go there mainly because I can almost walk to the Publix near me and to get to the nearest other grocer, would eat up any significant savings on my food bill in gas.

Anyway.

I go to the store to get something. All I want to do is get in, get my shit and get out. Anything that the store can do to aid in the rapidity of that task is what I concider customer service. Apparently, I'm alone.

Apparently people like to be called by name. They apparently like the cashiers to take an interest in how my day is going, or what I'm cooking that needs those spices, or what I think of the weather.

My daughter works at Publix, though not the one I go to. I told her to tell the powers that be that her dad requests a "no talking" line. They have an express line, which barely qualifies for the name, but they need a truely fast lane. One that only allows conversation if there is an issue with the food or the prices.

Although the customer service is certainly working for them, I could do with a little less myself.

Another example.

The "Express Lane".

It drives me almost insane when douchebag customers go through the "10 Items or less" express lane with 15 or so items. I just want to give them a swift strong kick in the ass. My daughter tells me that they cannot tell a customer anything when they do that. they have to just welcome them and ring up thier items.

I could NEVER work at Publix. If I was that cashier I'd point at them and say "Get the fuck out of my store. If you'd do this you'd steal from the store. Get out now and never come back.

Too much customer service.

Recently, I was at my Publix and as I stepped into the cashier's line she put up a sign at the end of my stuff that said "Lane Closed". I thought to myself; "That's funny, I got here just in time".

So in less than a minute, this moron comes up to the line and starts putting her stuff on the conveyor RIGHT NEXT TO THE SIGN. I couldn't take it. I pointed at the sign and said to her "Lane's closed!" She looked at me and just nodded her head and giggled. I repeated at an even sterner tone; "Lane's CLOSED!!" The cashier said to me; "It's ok sir." I then let it go.

Too much customer service, I could never ever work there.

Recently, I was at my Publix and as I stepped into the cashier's line she put up a sign at the end of my stuff that said "Lane Closed". I thought to myself; "That's funny, I got here just in time".

So in less than a minute, this moron comes up to the line and starts putting her stuff on the conveyor RIGHT NEXT TO THE SIGN. I couldn't take it. I pointed at the sign and said to her "Lane's closed!" She looked at me and just nodded her head and giggled. I repeated at an even sterner tone; "Lane's CLOSED!!" The cashier said to me; "It's ok sir." I then let it go.

Perhaps she BELIEVED it was her constitutional right.

Lol, perhaps.

I was ready to go all tyrannical on her ass.

We have them here in SC as well. Great stores, but you have to beat the little buggers off just to take your shit to your car by yourself...

Lol, perhaps.

I was ready to go all tyrannical on her ass.

The cashier was probably secretly thankful that you gave the customer some grief. You did what the cashier is forbidden to do and I'll bet she enjoyed someone putting the asshole customer in their place.

That's just rude, the cashier might be on the verge of peeing in her pants and needs a quick break, so she puts the sign up. People are so inconsiderate, they think only of themselves.

Yeah, I don't like people fussing over me too much. I don't want any help out with my stuff and I like to load the stuff in my cart myself. Otherwise they put heavy stuff on top of my tomatoes or bread and squish it. Never fails.

Then you tell them, please don't put anything else in the bag with that raw fish. "Oh, OF COURSE NOT!" they say. Yet, I've gotten home and found grapes in the same bag with a package of raw liver. Jackasses.

Another example.

The "Express Lane".

It drives me almost insane when douchebag customers go through the "10 Items or less" express lane with 15 or so items. I just want to give them a swift strong kick in the ass. My daughter tells me that they cannot tell a customer anything when they do that. they have to just welcome them and ring up thier items.

I could NEVER work at Publix. If I was that cashier I'd point at them and say "Get the fuck out of my store. If you'd do this you'd steal from the store. Get out now and never come back.

LOL Ok, this is one of my pet peeves.. Douchedicks going in the express lane with a basket full of groceries while I wait with one item.. It irritates the hell out of me..so you're not alone Pred..

Another example.

The "Express Lane".

LOL Ok, this is one of my pet peeves.. Douchedicks going in the express lane with a basket full of groceries while I wait with one item.. It irritates the hell out of me..so you're not alone Pred..
I have been directed to the Express lane by cashiers on three occasions when I had full baskets, the other lanes were full and no one was in the express lane. One one occasion, halfway through the ring-up someone showed up with a couple of items and stood there glaring at me. I told her I was directed to use the lane, she stated I should have said no. I told her I did but they insisted it was alright so she could stuff it, go home and take it out on her kids and husband. Told her baseball bats work best...... and winked at the cashier.......

Here in Florida we have a grocery chain called Publix. They pride themselves in their customer service. Their prices are not the lowest in town, but their consistant customer service ratings keeps this 60 year old chain defeating all contenders with lower prices. Personally, I'm not a person who needs a lot of customer service so it isn't high on my list for the grocery store. I go there mainly because I can almost walk to the Publix near me and to get to the nearest other grocer, would eat up any significant savings on my food bill in gas.

Anyway.

I go to the store to get something. All I want to do is get in, get my shit and get out. Anything that the store can do to aid in the rapidity of that task is what I concider customer service. Apparently, I'm alone.

Apparently people like to be called by name. They apparently like the cashiers to take an interest in how my day is going, or what I'm cooking that needs those spices, or what I think of the weather.

My daughter works at Publix, though not the one I go to. I told her to tell the powers that be that her dad requests a "no talking" line. They have an express line, which barely qualifies for the name, but they need a truely fast lane. One that only allows conversation if there is an issue with the food or the prices.

Although the customer service is certainly working for them, I could do with a little less myself.

When they start those "convos" with me, I answer politely to the first question, but to the point by saying..."but I am in a real hurry." Works every time...

Another example.

The "Express Lane".

I have been directed to the Express lane by cashiers on three occasions when I had full baskets, the other lanes were full and no one was in the express lane. One one occasion, halfway through the ring-up someone showed up with a couple of items and stood there glaring at me. I told her I was directed to use the lane, she stated I should have said no. I told her I did but they insisted it was alright so she could stuff it, go home and take it out on her kids and husband. Told her baseball bats work best...... and winked at the cashier.......

Yeah, I've had them try to get me to use the express lane, too, but I always say no. I don't say "no" because I'm some kind of wonderful person who refuses to break rules even when I'm told it's okay, though. The reason I say "no" is because I usually have a basket full of stuff and the express lanes usually have a small fixed check-out area rather than the longer moving belt on which to place your items. It's just too hard to check out a large basketfull of stuff at the express lane and I just won't do it.

Last edited:

Anyway.

When they start those "convos" with me, I answer politely to the first question, but to the point by saying..."but I am in a real hurry." Works every time...
Yup... I think it's awkward for total strangers to engage a person in a semi personal conversation as if they were old pals or something. I usually won't look at them, which tells them I'm not interested in having a conversation with them, and will answer with only one word, yes or no usually. Just concentrate on your job so I can get the hell out of this store.

Anyway.

Yup... I think it's awkward for total strangers to engage a person in a semi personal conversation as if they were old pals or something. I usually won't look at them, which tells them I'm not interested in having a conversation with them, and will answer with only one word, yes or no usually. Just concentrate on your job so I can get the hell out of this store.

That's effective, with some. With others, I say the first line...."oh gosh I am running so late this morning," and that gets them going fast and without conversation.

Another reason I hate for the "intimacy" to start is I WANT THEM TO CONCENTRATE on the job at hand and not be distracted. They could easily ring something up that would be wrong.

When I don't cut my own hair, I tell the stylist courteously and up front, "I prefer not to have conversation while you are cutting my hair" and of course they come back with, "OH! I can cut hair and talk at the same time" to which I respond, " I am sure you can, but that isn't why I want no conversation. I would just prefer you to concentrate on my haircut, as that is the goal, not a conversation. It is called customer service."

This way I leave with the same haircut every time ( or close ) for if they talk while cutting, there is never any consistency in the outcome...:evil:

They get used to me, because I tip them very well, "if" I am satisfied. :eusa_pray:

Yeah, I've had them try to get me to use the express lane, too, but I always say no. I don't say "no" because I'm some kind of wonderful person who refuses to break rules even when I'm told it's okay, though. The reason I say "no" is because I usually have a basket full of stuff and the express lanes usually have a small fixed check-out area rather than the longer moving belt on which to place your items. It's just too hard to check out a large basketfull of stuff at the express lane and I just won't do it.
All the checkouts at that grocery store were the same size, they just uncovered the Express sign on the pole depending on which ones they wanted to use. Like you I won't use the small ones if I have a full basket.

Another example.

The "Express Lane".

I was at Vons, never heard of Pubix...

Anyway, I had a 6 carrier of wine, and a dozen eggs - two items in my view, and had some old fart bitch that I had more than 10 items..

No, each egg does NOT count as a separate item - thank you.

Forum List

Back