To Vaccinate or Not To Vaccinate

Do You Think Children & Adults Should Be Vaccinated

• Yes, the doctors say so

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • No, chemicals don't belong in our bodies

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
"Since monovalent vaccines containing measles, rubella, and mumps vaccine viruses -- and subsequently combined measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine -- were licensed, the numbers of reported cases of measles, mumps, rubella, and congenital rubella syndrome (CRS) have decreased by more than 99%. In 1993, the Childhood Immunization Initiative established goals of eliminating indigenous transmission of measles and rubella in the United States by 1996. Subsequently, the goals of the initiative were extended to include reducing the number of reported mumps cases to less than or equal to 1600 by 1996."

"
The disease can be severe and is most frequently complicated by diarrhea, middle ear infection, or bronchopneumonia. Encephalitis occurs in approximately one of every 1,000 reported cases; survivors of this complication often have permanent brain damage and mental retardation. Death occurs in 1-2 of every 1,000 reported measles cases in the United States. The risk for death from measles or its complications is greater for infants, young children, and adults than for older children and adolescents. The most common causes of death are pneumonia and acute encephalitis. In developing countries, measles is often more severe and the case-fatality rate can be as high as 25%.
Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE) is a rare degenerative disease of the central nervous system associated with measles virus. Signs and symptoms of the disease appear years after measles infection. Widespread use of measles vaccine has essentially eliminated SSPE from the United States (1).

Measles illness during pregnancy leads to increased rates of premature labor, spontaneous abortion, and low birth weight among affected infants (2-5). Birth defects, with no definable pattern of malformation, have been reported among infants born to women infected with measles during pregnancy, but measles infection has not been confirmed as the cause of the malformations.

Measles can be severe and prolonged among immunocompromised persons, particularly those who have certain leukemias, lymphomas, or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. Among these persons, measles may occur without the typical rash and a patient may shed measles virus for several weeks after the acute illness (6,7). Measles Elimination

Before measles vaccine was licensed in 1963, an average of 400,000 measles cases were reported each year in the United States (8). However, because virtually all children acquired measles, the number of cases probably approached 3.5 million per year (i.e., an entire birth cohort)."

"
The most important consequences of rubella are the miscarriages, stillbirths, fetal anomalies, and therapeutic abortions that result when rubella infection occurs during early pregnancy, especially during the first trimester. An estimated 20,000 cases of CRS occurred during 1964-1965 during the last U.S. rubella epidemic before rubella vaccine became available.

The anomalies most commonly associated with CRS are auditory (e.g., sensorineural deafness), ophthalmic (e.g., cataracts, microphthalmia, glaucoma, chorioretinitis), cardiac (e.g., patent ductus arteriosus, peripheral pulmonary artery stenosis, atrial or ventricular septal defects), and neurologic (e.g., microcephaly, meningoencephalitis, mental retardation). In addition, infants with CRS frequently exhibit both intrauterine and postnatal growth retardation. Other conditions sometimes observed among patients who have CRS include radiolucent bone defects, hepatosplenomegaly, thrombocytopenia, and purpuric skin lesions.

Infants who are moderately or severely affected by CRS are readily recognizable at birth, but mild CRS (e.g., slight cardiac involvement or deafness) may be detected months or years after birth, or not at all. Although CRS has been estimated to occur among 20%-25% of infants born to women who acquire rubella during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy, this figure may underestimate the risk for fetal infection and birth defects. When infants born to mothers who were infected during the first 8 weeks of gestation were followed for 4 years, 85% were found to be affected (19)."

Measles Mumps and Rubella -- Vaccine Use and Strategies for Elimination of Measles Rubella and Congenital Rubella Syndrome and Control of Mumps Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices ACIP

Do you have a point? Other than proving the ones I've made?

Haven't seen you make a single point that addresses anything I have posted, so whatever you have proven in the dark corners of your imagination I will leave up to your dark corners to argue with. Civilization is not collapsing because people are not getting vaccines. This is a back-door anti-immigration, elitist, and xenophobic red herring that brings the bigots from the right and the left together. Immunize yours if you so desire, and let others live or die by their own decisions. That is what freedom is.

Nobody made the claim that civilization was collapsing. I think you rather missed the point of the thread. Perhaps you should go to the OP and read it again.

Watch for Obama to announce development of an Ebola vaccine very early in November....and credit it all to His advancement of research. Unless He elects to claim the discovery for Himself - there could be a Nobel Prize for that.....

Obama's not going to encourage people to vaccinate against ebola. Progressives love pandemics.

Their entire mindset coddles the concept of "acceptable die off" that helps them to achieve whatever the goal du jour happens to be.

Spoken like a true anti-human zealot. Vaccinations are one of the few things that there needs to be a public policy about. Vaccines save more lives than bicycle helmets and seat belts and child welfare combined.

Leftists think that "science" means driving a Prius.

Leftist morons couldn't find Hydrogen on the periodic table....

Conservatives don't believe bicycle helmets and seatbelts need to be public policy issues?

Spoken like a true anti-human zealot. Vaccinations are one of the few things that there needs to be a public policy about. Vaccines save more lives than bicycle helmets and seat belts and child welfare combined.

Conservatives don't believe bicycle helmets and seatbelts need to be public policy issues?

Certainly they should be! It should be public policy to let people decide for themselves how much they value their lives. I could agree that anyone injured because they didn't take appropriate precautions should not get tax-funded medical treatment.

Friggin' libs would have every child taken into custody because some parents might abuse them.

The prayer that, if answered, would put libbers outta business:

"God save us from those who would save us from ourselves!"

~prayer for the day from Rev. Billy Sol Rubin, pastor, First Church of The Gooey Death and Discount House of Worship.

Certainly they should be! It should be public policy to let people decide for themselves how much they value their lives. I could agree that anyone injured because they didn't take appropriate precautions should not get tax-funded medical treatment.

Friggin' libs would have every child taken into custody because some parents might abuse them.

The prayer that, if answered, would put libbers outta business:

"God save us from those who would save us from ourselves!"

~prayer for the day from Rev. Billy Sol Rubin, pastor, First Church of The Gooey Death and Discount House of Worship.

What about kid's seats?

Nobody made the claim that civilization was collapsing. I think you rather missed the point of the thread. Perhaps you should go to the OP and read it again.

The OP is anti-vax and you are obnoxiously and condescendingly pro vax. I have missed the point of nothing. If the OP doesn't want to vaccinate, more power to them. I hope their kid licks the slide in the public park just to spite you.

On the other hand, my kids are vaccinated. The OP's children are more likely to pick up a nasty case of ecoli and worms than my kids are to pick up a fatal illness from them.

Plus I keep my children far away from where scummy non-vaccinating parents hang with theirs.

Not really. Children can't be vaccinated for many of the things that wipe them out until they reach a certain age. So when irresposible and foolish people refuse to vaccinate, they increase the chances that those children get infected and die.

So? Not everybody can be saved. If you have a child that cannot be vaccinated, then keep them as far away from the public as possible. Public policy should not be based upon the wants or needs of the weakest amongst us and people should not be forced to spend their money on the needs of other people.

Can you prove that with an article that doesn't come from New York Times?

On the other hand, my kids are vaccinated. The OP's children are more likely to pick up a nasty case of ecoli and worms than my kids are to pick up a fatal illness from them.
Vaccines don't prevent getting worms. I'm not a scummy parent either.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was my point.

Non-vaccinated children are more likely to get worms and ecoli from licking the slide than my vaccinated children are likely to get anything from using the slide licked. So the point that unvaccinated kids should lick slides and infect my kids is a moot (and very silly) point.

I can hear the gears clanking.

That was my point.

Non-vaccinated children are more likely to get worms and ecoli from licking the slide than my vaccinated children are likely to get anything from using the slide licked. So the point that unvaccinated kids should lick slides and infect my kids is a moot (and very silly) point.

I can hear the gears clanking.
Are you really that ignorant? Vaccines don't prevent E.coli and getting worms. Cleanliness does.
E. coli Prevention

E. coli Prevention - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic
E. coli 0157 H7 Symptoms Causes Treatment - What is the treatment for E. coli 0157 H7 - MedicineNet

Again. I know that.

My POINT was that non-vaccinated children who are licking slides are more likely to pick up worms and ecoli than they are to infect my vaccinated children with influenza and the mumps.

Clank. Clank. Clank. Try to change gears. But first push in the clutch.

Forum List

Back