To Remove Lead Water Pipes, First You Must Find Them

In any other modern, developed country, this wouldn't even be a debate. The only questions would be, "How and how much?". Our stupidity is turning us into a failed state.

It's off topic. Take it to another thread. You are in no position to decide what is rational and what is not.

O.k. then if you insist I'll stay on the lead pipes thing.
May I comment on the lack of understanding, being self-destructive to America and Americans?
I think that's the only really useful purpose of the debate. Thus, I have related your issue to other similar issues in which America is choosing self-destruction over Biden's attempts at the 'really big' fix.

Bridges, potholes, health care, infrastructure in general, lead water pipes, poverty of the working class, etc., etc., etc.

Can we not combine them all into being that which has dropped America down to 15th. on quality of life? I mean hon, little children starting to twitch and turn green after drinking water laced with lead, is hardly American, is it?

This is an easy fix. Houses in urban areas are fed from the street, usually from a metering box with 100 feet of the house. The feeds can be retrofitted with PEX. This can be done by giving contracts to local plumbers, creating jobs for them, as well as the suppliers, as well as the manufacturers of the pipe and fittings. Homeowners get an upgrade to their houses, increasing their value, fixing the toxic water problem at the same time.

This problem has been way over thought.

The Trump humpers don't like it because it actually gets something done for real Americans. When that happens they can't win. They're now finding out the hard way this isn't 2010, and they're not dealing with Obama. Everything is different now, and the same bull shit they have been selling for years, isn't selling anymore. They can't put a welfare queen angle on it, and it's driving them batshit crazy.

Joe Biden is playing them like a fiddle, while Donald Trump is steadily fucking them in the ass from Mar A Lago.

The entertainment value of watching the righties implode in on themselves is epic.
Except that from what I understand lead pipes aren't supplying the water to the homes. So, then the question is why are we fixing a non-issue? Is that confusion on the part of the author?

If you don't know anything about construction, building, or maintenance, theres no way to explain it in even the most elementary terms that you could understand.

I don't think solder ever comes in contact with the water on a copper pipe joint if it is done right. So that is a non-issue as well.
The solder is what makes the joints watertight, of course it comes into contact with the water. That's why they banned it.
How many copper pipes have you soldered? None, didn't think so. I made my living working with just that medium. The configuration of the soldered joint never allows the water to contact the solder. The solder just holds the pipe in place. Just STFU, you don't know shit.
If you aren't smart enough to know that you need to solder a copper sweat joint I highly doubt that you worked with that medium. Better yet, you put a sweat joint together without solder and stand under it while I turn the water on.

how does it make it water tight if it never touches the water??
OK I'll make it really simple. You have a sweat joint with say a straight pipe and an elbow. You clean the outside of the pipe and the inside of the elbow, then you slide the elbow onto the pipe. Fits kinda snug but is not water tight, trust me if you turned the water on now it would blow the two pieces apart. . The solder fills the gap between the two pieces of copper, fills it completely otherwise it would leak. So not only does the solder weld the two pieces of copper together it acts as the seel to keep the water in. The water is pushing on the solder so of course it comes in contact with it.
[/QUOTE]

its the concerned guy that I was asking ,, and youre right the water touchs the solder,,,

OK I'll make it really simple. You have a sweat joint with say a straight pipe and an elbow. You clean the outside of the pipe and the inside of the elbow, then you slide the elbow onto the pipe. Fits kinda snug but is not water tight, trust me if you turned the water on now it would blow the two pieces apart. . The solder fills the gap between the two pieces of copper, fills it completely otherwise it would leak. So not only does the solder weld the two pieces of copper together it acts as the seel to keep the water in. The water is pushing on the solder so of course it comes in contact with it.
What all these morons fail to understand is that copper pipes are soldered together.

So what are the chances of some kid getting lead poisoning in today time?
Pretty high actually
LOCAL ISSUES
its a local issue not a fed one
"Local issues" that local authorities cannot afford to deal with without hefty property tax increases.
OK so raise the taxs on those effected,, not my job to pay for utilities for someone 1000 miles away,,

we have enough problems of our own,,
It's not my job to rebuild after a hurricane that happened 1200 miles from me but we seem to bail out FL and TX quite a lot. You guys forget we are a country, 50 united States. That means that we help each other out when someone needs it.

Normally, I agree with that, but when you have a state like Texas that puffs its chest out about they don't need no stinking government, cuts its electricity grid off from the rest of the country, and then expects federal disaster aid after a natural disaster. Oh no, hell no, do I agree that state should get as much as a bread sandwich in help.

When those Republican criminals, and the shills that vote for them, stand out on the street with a microphone, and very loudly and very clearly mea culpa about how wrong they are on government regulation. Then, and only then do they get any help at all.

In any other modern, developed country, this wouldn't even be a debate. The only questions would be, "How and how much?". Our stupidity is turning us into a failed state.
We all know that the item in Biden's bill is just an excuse to get more money. They can't even identify which home have lead pipes, and it's simple enough to make the homeowner fix it. That's what they did with asbestos.

I don't think solder ever comes in contact with the water on a copper pipe joint if it is done right. So that is a non-issue as well.
The solder is what makes the joints watertight, of course it comes into contact with the water. That's why they banned it.
How many copper pipes have you soldered? None, didn't think so. I made my living working with just that medium. The configuration of the soldered joint never allows the water to contact the solder. The solder just holds the pipe in place. Just STFU, you don't know shit.
If you aren't smart enough to know that you need to solder a copper sweat joint I highly doubt that you worked with that medium. Better yet, you put a sweat joint together without solder and stand under it while I turn the water on.

[/QUOTE]
OK Einstein, when you slide the small pipe into the expanded end of the pipe it can only go in 1-1.5 inches and then it stops because it butts up to the necked down expansion. If the end of the small pipe is square, there will be a hairline opening .001" or less. The solder does not enter the water course of the pipe--it only serves to hold the pipe in place. Truth be known, the impurities in the water will soon fill that .001 crack and no, the water will not contact the solder. SMH.

its michigans fault it happened so its their problem to solve,,

Wrong. It's Republicans in Michigans fault, and they should be sent to prison, and the taxes raised on Republican multimillionaires to fix it.

its the concerned guy that I was asking ,, and youre right the water touchs the solder,,,
[/QUOTE]
Sorry, got confused with the quote stream

Wrong. It's Republicans in Michigans fault, and they should be sent to prison, and the taxes raised on Republican multimillionaires to fix it.
still a michigan problem not the rest of the country,, and sure not the future generations that will have to pay for it,,,

How is it the fault of Republicans in Michigan?

OK Einstein, when you slide the small pipe into the expanded end of the pipe it can only go in 1-1.5 inches and then it stops because it butts up to the necked down expansion. If the end of the small pipe is square, there will be a hairline opening .001" or less. The solder does not enter the water course of the pipe--it only serves to hold the pipe in place. Truth be known, the impurities in the water will soon fill that .001 crack and no, the water will not contact the solder. SMH.
[/QUOTE]
The solder fills the gap. That means it touches the water.

The entire issue in Flint Michigan with their water pipes was due to lead in the water system, so it's a fallacy to say this isn't a problem in the USA.

To save money, the city changed where they bought their water. They made the mistake, not me or anyone I know.

The Flint water crisis was a public health crisis that started in 2014 and lasted until 2019,[2] after the drinking water for the city of Flint, Michigan was contaminated with lead and possibly Legionella bacteria.[1] In April 2014, during a budget crisis, Flint changed its water source from treated Detroit Water and Sewerage Department water (sourced from Lake Huron and the Detroit River) to the Flint River. Residents complained about the taste, smell, and appearance of the water. Officials failed to apply corrosion inhibitors to the water, which resulted in lead from aging pipes leaching into the water supply, exposing around 100,000 residents to elevated lead levels.[7] A pair of scientific studies confirmed that lead contamination was present in the water supply.[8][9] The city switched back to the Detroit water system on October 16, 2015.[10] It later signed a 30-year contract with the new Great Lakes Water Authority (GLWA) on November 22, 2017.[11]

Show me any document that says fixing all the lead pipes in the country will cost $111 billion.
Show me one that shows otherwise. Or admit you only made up this horseshit because you saw Biden's name.

By the way, nobody has made the claim it will cost that much just to fix the lead pipes. So you are pissing in the wind anyway.

The solder fills the gap. That means it touches the water.
[/QUOTE]
One last time, there is a point where the internal copper pipe butts up to the external pipe--the solder does NOT enter the water course--it fills a capillary gap and holds the two pipes together. Maybe this graphic will make it clear, but I seriously doubt it.
1618189397147.png
1618189397147.png

Forum List

Back