Time To Get Serious About Language Learning?

To whom would it not be available?

I already said that "anyone can learn any foreign language, at any time" ...
And I used the words ... "not unavailable" ... To mean that it is available.

Learn to read ... :auiqs.jpg:

Absolutely ... And it is recommended for students that fail to achieve the appropriate curriculum standards.
That is in no way a reason to support expanding an already failing system in attempts to support more failure.

Well fwiw I don't know how it works in every state, but I know in mine a student who is two or more grades below grade level in reading would be getting remedial help. There is much accommodation made for that and usually a dx like "learning disability". When that happens, requirements are waived so that these students can catch up in reading etc.

Foreign language instruction in the US starts late and is not emphasized as much as many other subjects. Should we as a nation (more accurately, as many local school districts) change this emphasis? Every year, more and more jobs in the US are advertised as requiring at least bilingualism, and more of the higher paying jobs involve working and communicating with people in and from all over the world. Employment aside, there are many well-established social and cognitive benefits from learning other languages than one's first. Should we require a much higher standard of proficiency and/or acquisition of two or more languages as part of graduation requirements from high school?
*Yes. In my generation, two years was required, but it was not worthwhile, and could be in German or French. As this was Texas, that was unhelpful. Had I been fluent in Spanish, I would have had substantially more opportunities internationally.

*Fortunately my children were able to take multiple years. Number One Daughter took 6 years (in in Jr. High) and is functionally conversant. She uses Spanish almost every day in her current position. Number One Son took three years, but his language is theoretical math, and ironically German would be better for him.

According to a study by the US Department of Education and the National Institute for Literacy ...
19% of High School Graduates cannot read the diploma they get.

How about we pay more than lip service towards teaching the students something they can use in their everyday lives ... :thup:

Multiple years were required for our kids when they went through, both in school and undergrad.

Foreign language instruction in the US starts late and is not emphasized as much as many other subjects. Should we as a nation (more accurately, as many local school districts) change this emphasis? Every year, more and more jobs in the US are advertised as requiring at least bilingualism, and more of the higher paying jobs involve working and communicating with people in and from all over the world. Employment aside, there are many well-established social and cognitive benefits from learning other languages than one's first. Should we require a much higher standard of proficiency and/or acquisition of two or more languages as part of graduation requirements from high school?
Should begin as early as grade 1 IMO..... Knowledge of Multiple languages has been demonstrated to broaden the mind and sharpen the intellect.
It's an incredibly good idea.

Jo

Should begin as early as grade 1 IMO..... Knowledge of Multiple languages has been demonstrated to broaden the mind and sharpen the intellect.
It's an incredibly good idea.

Jo
Yes. My grandfather spoke five languages (helpful in escaping Bolsheviks and later his maritime career). Mom spoke English, German, Cajun French, and passable Lithuanian. The language gene skipped me as I can barely speak coherent Texan.

Yes. My grandfather spoke five languages (helpful in escaping Bolsheviks and later his maritime career). Mom spoke English, German, Cajun French, and passable Lithuanian. The language gene skipped me as I can barely speak coherent Texan.
Awesome!

Well fwiw I don't know how it works in every state, but I know in mine a student who is two or more grades below grade level in reading would be getting remedial help. There is much accommodation made for that and usually a dx like "learning disability". When that happens, requirements are waived so that these students can catch up in reading etc.

It doesn't matter how it works in your state, because whatever shortcoming anyone has doesn't justify expanding the requirements.
You don't add requirements when you are not fulfilling the requirements you already have.

Graduating anyone that cannot read is an indication of a serious problem not associated with the individual who cannot read.
They didn't give themselves a diploma ... :auiqs.jpg:

It doesn't matter how it works in your state, because whatever shortcoming anyone has doesn't justify expanding the requirements.
You don't add requirements when you are not fulfilling the requirements you already have.

Graduating anyone that cannot read is an indication of a serious problem not associated with the individual who cannot read.
They didn't give themselves a diploma ... :auiqs.jpg:

Just about every state has a test of basic skills that students must pass in order to graduate.

Just about every state has a test of basic skills that students must pass in order to graduate.

Yet there are students that graduate unable to read ... According to US Department of Education.
There are proficiency tests required to pass at several levels (grades) prior to High School Graduation.

The problem is centered on the fact that it doesn't seem to make a difference when the people in charge ...
are willing to tell you that they are giving diplomas to students that cannot read.

You cannot twist that into meaning something else.

In any case ... Anyone can learn a foreign language at any time.
Any school can offer classes they have approved by the State and Local Curriculum Authorities.
It's not that hard for people to get what they want ... If they want it.

Last edited:
Not mastering A as an excuse not to teach B guarantees no growth. What a great attitude.

"Not able to read" is BS. I could give you something to read that you wouldn't understand as well as some of my ESL students. I could test you on things you learned in high school that you don't remember well anymore.

Not mastering A as an excuse not to teach B guarantees no growth. What a great attitude.

A is a requirement, not an option.
B isn't the requirement. and A is proving to be more than they can handle properly.
Grow more failure if you insist.

Nothing is stopping someone that wants to learn a foreign language from doing so except their own desire to learn.
You cannot twist it into meaning something else.

Double Down and Grow More Failure.

That's the same mentality that allows someone to make it from Kindergarten to Graduation unable to read ... :thup:
The student growth imagined obviously doesn't make a difference.

Add the fact that learning a foreign language is accessible if someone desires.
Classes can be offered if Approved.

They don't need to make it a requirement ... When it is accessible with the appropriate desire.

Forum List

Back