Time To Get Serious About Language Learning?

Foreign language instruction in the US starts late and is not emphasized as much as many other subjects.

I have spent most of my adult life abroad. Living for years in other countries. There is no classroom that can replicate the total immersion of living where you must use a foreign language daily.

Or, replace the fact that, in many countries where English is not the first language, the ability to communicate well in English is much more use than being able to communicate poorly in the native language.

Last edited:
Yeah..... sure

Ah yes, scientific proof from the Jay Leno Institute for Statistical Analysis. Walk around long enough to find a few idiots who don't know anything, then extrapolate universal conclusions. Brilliant!

Ah yes, scientific proof from the Jay Leno Institute for Statistical Analysis. Walk around long enough to find a few idiots who don't know anything, then extrapolate universal conclusions. Brilliant!

Nice try. These are EVERY DAY. My daughter is in high school, AND college. She can't stand the high school students. As she says, they are universally dumb.

Nice try. These are EVERY DAY. My daughter is in high school, AND college. She can't stand the high school students. As she says, they are universally dumb.
I teach high school. My students are not dumb. So much for universal. Those street interview things are amusing, but they don't prove anything. Producers send people out specifically to find idiots. They walk around for as long as it takes to find a few idiots.

I teach high school. My students are not dumb. So much for universal. Those street interview things are amusing, but they don't prove anything. Producers send people out specifically to find idiots. They walk around for as long as it takes to find a few idiots.

Actually the interviews DO prove a lot. Because I can go to any college right now, and ask simple questions, and the students can't answer them.

I guarantee you that I can walk up to any student and ask a simple question that they won't be able to answer.
I guarantee you that I could give you a grammar test that you wouldn't pass.

I guarantee you that I could give you a grammar test that you wouldn't pass.

Big whoop. I can give you a chemistry, physics, geology, and mineralogy test that you couldn't come close to passing.

I doubt you could pass a history test as well, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

World and US History. I've taught AP courses, but this year it's been all ESL because so many newcomers have arrived in the district.

Cool. I specialize in military, and early Roman, plus a smidge of medieval/Renaissance history. Mainly focused on the military aspects but some political, and a lot of the development of science and the scientific method.

Cool. I specialize in military, and early Roman, plus a smidge of medieval/Renaissance history. Mainly focused on the military aspects but some political, and a lot of the development of science and the scientific method.
I dig it. I studied a lot of The Enlightenment while getting my undergrad degree in Philosophy. Translating German philosophers will teach ya to drink real good. I read a lot about medieval Japanese and ancient Chinese history for recreation because I lived there for years, but any history is interesting to me.

Forum List

Back