CDZ Three unanswered yet interesting questions pertaining to life

sakinago

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2012
I get this might not necassarily belong in CDZ, but since I can't stand any of the other forums, this is where I'm posting it. I hope that this becomes a fun conversation

First question: How did chemicals from lifeless reactions, turn into life?

Second: How did the early simple, single cell prokaryotic forms of life that had reached their available energy threshold, jumped to a higher energy threshold and turn into a eukaryotic form. A much more complex cell, that becomes the building block for complex life.

Finally: How did the jump happen from standard animal intelligence to human consciousness? Sure there are some smart animals out there, but they do not hold a candle to human intelligence.

You could have put it in religion and ethics. There's no answer for the first two. The third one is easy. Evolution. Humans are the smartest mammals. If dogs were smarter they would be just as bad.

Why did some animals evolve and some not?
Why are there no animals in "between" stages of evolution?

missing-link.jpg

I get this might not necassarily belong in CDZ, but since I can't stand any of the other forums, this is where I'm posting it. I hope that this becomes a fun conversation

Second: How did the early simple, single cell prokaryotic forms of life that had reached their available energy threshold, jumped to a higher energy threshold and turn into a eukaryotic form. A much more complex cell, that becomes the building block for complex life.

Finally: How did the jump happen from standard animal intelligence to human consciousness? Sure there are some smart animals out there, but they do not hold a candle to human intelligence.
I've got it for ya:

1) Random chance.

2) Random chance.

3) Random chance.

It is the same reason why our star isn't too hot to make Mars habitable and Earth a giant oven like Mercury. It is the same reason why an asteroid hasn't dropped on your house today. It is the same reason why you are living in a nation with internet access and have enough money to ponder these things instead of living in poverty in Siberia or the deserts of Africa and pondering whether or not you can make it another year.

Random chance that life forms on its' own and not only survives but lives on to multiply and change into endless life forms with a drive for survival so intense it can be found in extremely inhospitable places? I can't muster up that level of faith.

The way it goes is that as animals adapt through survival of the fittest some are as suited for their environment as possible. There's nothing to evolve into if there's no need.

Random chance that life forms on its' own and not only survives but lives on to multiply and change into endless life forms with a drive for survival so intense it can be found in extremely inhospitable places? I can't muster up that level of faith.
Considering how large the universe is and the fact that we have absolutely no indication that there is intelligent life anywhere but here.

Yeah, I'd say it makes perfect sense. Just because you happen to be one of the few living beings that can think doesn't automatically mean that there was reason or meaning behind your existence. Assuming that there was purpose behind something because it has occurred is a pretty well known fallacy of human thinking.

Considering how large the universe is and the fact that we have absolutely no indication that there is intelligent life anywhere but here.

Yeah, I'd say it makes perfect sense. Just because you happen to be one of the few living beings that can think doesn't automatically mean that there was reason or meaning behind your existence. Assuming that there was purpose behind something because it has occurred is a pretty well known fallacy of human thinking.
I didn't say there was a meaning nor do you know what all else out there can think at our level or beyond. The assumptions are all yours.

Animals do think though. They have emotions as well. They dream. Not all that different than humans.

You could have put it in religion and ethics. There's no answer for the first two. The third one is easy. Evolution. Humans are the smartest mammals. If dogs were smarter they would be just as bad.
Actually there's a theory about the second, but for that theory it such a rare occurance it has only happens once, at least on this planet

I've got it for ya:

1) Random chance.

2) Random chance.

3) Random chance.

It is the same reason why our star isn't too hot to make Mars habitable and Earth a giant oven like Mercury. It is the same reason why an asteroid hasn't dropped on your house today. It is the same reason why you are living in a nation with internet access and have enough money to ponder these things instead of living in poverty in Siberia or the deserts of Africa and pondering whether or not you can make it another year.
It's all random of course. What are the steps?

because those animals have filled a niche, were they, in the current state of the planet, have a way to survive and reproduce that hasn't led to them being extinct

Sure there are some smart animals out there, but they do not hold a candle to human intelligence.

The only intelligence we humans can understand is human intelligence. Judging the intelligence of different species by evaluating how closely theirs resembles our own is an exercise in provincial chauvanism.

"We can imagine what it is like to be a cat, but we cannot imagine what it is like for a cat to be a cat."

No other species is sufficiently "intelligent" to destroy millions of its own young and to systematically destroy the habitat necessary for its survival. How intelligent is that?

I didn't say there was a meaning nor do you know what all else out there can think at our level or beyond. The assumptions are all yours.

Animals do think though. They have emotions as well. They dream. Not all that different than humans.
I didn't make any assumptions. Read the text. I stated that "we have absolutely no indication that there is intelligent life anywhere but here." Now, if that is an incorrect statement then please reference me the hard data defining the intelligent life forms we have been able to observe that are not on this planet.

I also stated that "doesn't automatically mean that there was a reason or meaning behind your existence." This was in reference to my original statement of random chance and your retort that my conclusion was "a level of faith." Specifically I originally assigned no meaning or reason to our existence and you sought to dispute that claim. By doing so you infer that we do have reason or meaning in our existence. Thereby your statement "I didn't say there was a meaning" is noted as being positively false. When somebody actually states that there is no meaning and you dispute that claim, you are actually arguing the opposite, or, in this case, arguing for meaning.

At least follow your own argument and logic chain please.

because those animals have filled a niche, were they, in the current state of the planet, have a way to survive and reproduce that hasn't led to them being extinct

so some animals "knew" to evolve and some didn't? What's the scientific reasoning for this?

You need to start at the estimated time it would take to develop a cell.
Longer than the earth has "supposedly" existed...

Sure there are some smart animals out there, but they do not hold a candle to human intelligence.

The only intelligence we humans can understand is human intelligence. Judging the intelligence of different species by evaluating how closely theirs resembles our own is an exercise in provincial chauvanism.

"We can imagine what it is like to be a cat, but we cannot imagine what it is like for a cat to be a cat."

No other species is sufficiently "intelligent" to destroy millions of its own young and to systematically destroy the habitat necessary for its survival. How intelligent is that?
A ridiculous statement. We are on the verge of creating intelligence greater than our own, but we can't understand animal intelligence? Well I guess that leaves the whole fields of zoology and behavioral psychology moot. And animals eat their own young all the time!!! They have no clue what they do to their own habitat!!! Outside of a handful they cannot purposefully manipulate the environment around them to their advantage. Nor can they hypothetically think.

Forum List

Back