This is Why Exporting Jobs and Industry to China is Dangerous to Our National Security

Bush92

GHBush1992
May 23, 2014
This article is from 2009, but you can go back to the 1990's and look at the destruction of our manufacturing jobs to China. Why Trump was elected by all those laid off workers from the Rust Belt. Now they got us by the marbles.

Do you think

A. People are going to be able to survive off wages paid for said jobs?

B. People are going to be able to afford the products made here in the US?

Do you think

They did for generations. Won a world war. Pretty good track record I would say. People working those manufacturing jobs were middle-class with health care benefits. Good paying jobs. Union jobs.

Do you think

They did for generations. Won a world war. Pretty good track record I would say. People working those manufacturing jobs were middle-class with health care benefits. Good paying jobs. Union jobs.
Considering that we are generations removed from that time wouldnt you say that was just wishful thinking? We cant go back to industrial age concepts when we are living in the information age

Do you think

Yes, and yes.

Do you think

Considering that we are generations removed from that time wouldnt you say that was just wishful thinking? We cant go back to industrial age concepts when we are living in the information age
That wasn't the "Industrial Age." It was in the 1980's and 1990's. You never had one of those jobs have you? I was a steelworker and it paid for a good life.

That was before you had global competition.
We had global competition. But we had a federal government that protected our jobs, like China subsidized their industry and manipulated currency to bring down the price of their products. Then big box retailers like Wal-Mart led the way in fucking over American workers by a price race to the bottom if you wanted shelf space in their stores. (They used to advertise Made in the USA) Indutrial jobs soon followed. They American companies that moved to China were all profitable and doing well until they moved to China for slave labor.

That was before you had global competition.
We had global competition. But we had a federal government that protected our jobs, like China subsidized their industry and manipulated currency to bring down the price of their products. Then big box retailers like Wal-Mart led the way in fucking over American workers by a price race to the bottom if you wanted shelf space in their stores. (They used to advertise Made in the USA) Indutrial jobs soon followed. They American companies that moved to China were all profitable and doing well until they moved to China for slave labor.

Partially true. From my phone, I can shop an endless list of suppliers for everything from cars to computers to canaries. All of whom take the credit card I have on me.

All of the protections on earth won’t stop consumers from surveying all of those resources.

Forum List

Back