This chart reveals the inhumanity of US drug prices compared to other countries

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
drugschart.png

As the following chart illustrates, drug prices in the US are up to 10 times higher than in numerous other developed countries. Data comes from the International Federation of Health Plans (IFHP) 2013 Comparative Price Report.

Heres one pill

Copaxone (for multiple sclerosis)

Over 400,000 people in the US have multiple sclerosis (MS), a debilitating condition that affects the body’s central nervous system. Copaxone — one of the drugs used to treat it — costs between $862 and $1,357 per month in Europe. But in the US, Copaxone costs between $3,900 and $4,018 each month, which is roughly the median monthly income in the US.

drugschart.png

As the following chart illustrates, drug prices in the US are up to 10 times higher than in numerous other developed countries. Data comes from the International Federation of Health Plans (IFHP) 2013 Comparative Price Report.

Heres one pill

Copaxone (for multiple sclerosis)

Over 400,000 people in the US have multiple sclerosis (MS), a debilitating condition that affects the body’s central nervous system. Copaxone — one of the drugs used to treat it — costs between $862 and $1,357 per month in Europe. But in the US, Copaxone costs between $3,900 and $4,018 each month, which is roughly the median monthly income in the US.
For the love of commerce do whatever. If our shit causes a problem we'll have to create a solution.
I had a book written back in the forties from a cancer treatment center in MO. I traded a bunch of books and somehow this book got into the mix but they were curing cancer back then. Now its nothing more than a money grab.

Cymbalta (for anxiety and depression)

According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), 18 percent of US adults suffer from anxiety and depression in a given year, and Cymbalta is one of the most common prescriptions for anxiety and depression. The ADAA also estimates that those conditions cost the US approximately $42 billion each year. While the drug only costs $46 per month under an NHS health plan, Cymbalta costs at least 4 times as much in the US — between $161 and $349 on most plans.

Another thing...IMO we shouldnt allow drug companies to advertise directly to us as much and so often. Instead of "Ask your Dr if blank is right for you?" How about they let the Dr's prescribe it themselves? Just a thought

Thanks for this, it is unacceptable that this greed is taking over, the government needs to step in and regulate drug prices like other countries.

What a bogus study. Sampling is not consistent across countries:

• Prices for the United States are calculated from a database with over 100 million claims that reflect prices negotiated and paid between thousands of providers and almost a hundred commercial health plans

• Prices for Australia, Argentina, and Spain are from the private sector, with data provided by one private health plan in each country

• Prices for Canada and Netherlands are from the public sector, with data provided by one private health plan in each country

• Medical procedure prices for Switzerland, England and New Zealand are from the private sector; prescription drug prices are based on public sector prices. Prices are provided by one private health plan in each country

What a bogus study. Sampling is not consistent across countries:

• Prices for the United States are calculated from a database with over 100 million claims that reflect prices negotiated and paid between thousands of providers and almost a hundred commercial health plans

• Prices for Australia, Argentina, and Spain are from the private sector, with data provided by one private health plan in each country

• Prices for Canada and Netherlands are from the public sector, with data provided by one private health plan in each country

• Medical procedure prices for Switzerland, England and New Zealand are from the private sector; prescription drug prices are based on public sector prices. Prices are provided by one private health plan in each country
Seriously? It's common sense that our drug prices are out of control compared to other countries, there are so many other studies then just this one.
Higher US Branded Drug Prices And Spending Compared To Other Countries May Stem Partly From Quick Uptake Of New Drugs

Higher U.S. Branded Drug Prices and Spending Compared to Other Countries May Stem Partly from Quick Uptake of New Drugs

Cymbalta (for anxiety and depression)

According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), 18 percent of US adults suffer from anxiety and depression in a given year, and Cymbalta is one of the most common prescriptions for anxiety and depression. The ADAA also estimates that those conditions cost the US approximately $42 billion each year. While the drug only costs $46 per month under an NHS health plan, Cymbalta costs at least 4 times as much in the US — between $161 and $349 on most plans.

Another thing...IMO we shouldnt allow drug companies to advertise directly to us as much and so often. Instead of "Ask your Dr if blank is right for you?" How about they let the Dr's prescribe it themselves? Just a thought
Big pharma owns America and both political parties.

Every kid who goes on a shooting spree is on some kind of anti depressant yet it's never mentioned cuz big pharma owns the media as well.

how much does it cost in the U.S to bring a new drug to market?
How long could that process take?
what are the 3 phases that are required before a drug can go public?
We can discuss phase 4 later.

Are you going to explain why the research cost us more than the others or are you causing a smoke screen about other things that has nothing to do with the cost comparisons?

Boy, you don't understand, do you! The free market levels itself and makes everything competitive.
You will never fit in with the conservatives and their ideology, will you.
Hopefully, you understand this is a post that agrees with yours.

Thanks for this, it is unacceptable that this greed is taking over, the government needs to step in and regulate drug prices like other countries.

Are you going to explain why the research cost us more than the others or are you causing a smoke screen about other things that has nothing to do with the cost comparisons?
other countries don't have the same government regulations we do. This is why many drugs are tested overseas long before we can use them here.

other countries don't have the same government regulations we do. This is why many drugs are tested overseas long before we can use them here.

Ok, and no one is talking about that either. Are you going to tell us why the cost is wrong, or justified or? Anything on topic?

Ok, and no one is talking about that either. Are you going to tell us why the cost is wrong, or justified or? Anything on topic?
are you going to tell us why drug companies should not be able to make a profit?

are you going to tell us why drug companies should not be able to make a profit?

No I wont, because I never said it. So, now I know you have nothing....

the only thing you are proving is that you really have no clue what it takes and costs to bring a drug to market in the U.S due to government regulation and oversight.
If you knew that you most likely would understand why the cost is what it is.
research before you bitch.

the only thing you are proving is that you really have no clue what it takes and costs to bring a drug to market in the U.S due to government regulation and oversight.

I know so I asked you in your infinite wisdom to explain why the prices would be different here compared to others. I am waiting for you to bestow upon me your radiant wisdom...

But so far all Ive gotten is insults. Would you reveal your knowledge sir?

I know so I asked you in your infinite wisdom to explain why the prices would be different here compared to others. I am waiting for you to bestow upon me your radiant wisdom...

But so far all Ive gotten is insults. Would you reveal your knowledge sir?
I told you where to look and I told you that there is some justification in it.
but you refuse to consider anything that does not back your theory of companies ripping people off.

You actually said drugs are tested overseas and then asked me why should drug companies make a profit. But I get what you're doing.....

We git more government, the problem gets worse and the answer is always more government...

The one thing we never do is less Government involvement. In any area where Government is not involved quality is higher and prices are lower. Or rather almost every situation, you can always find outlier.

From Education to HC, for min wage to all forms of welfare Government managed to take a problem and make it much worse... so bad in fact that the people who demanded Government be involved admit openly that the programs have failed but then claim we need more of that same program or a more expensive government created program to replace the old one.

This is not Rep vs Dem. This is stupid vs reality.

Forum List

Back