This cancel culture shit needs to stop. Netflix removes ALL movies with Johnny Depp in them.

I do think the dude is definitely weird but weird is not a crime.

Don’t get your panties in a wad gramps you can still watch Depp flix on the net

Depp has had some excellent movies. I like the smaller, more intellectual ones he does a lot. I hope they are not cancelling these, or any.

I just read that there is a move on in the Cancel Culture to ban teaching of the Odyssey. And that one school in Massachusetts did ban it. I know the Odyssey pretty well; does anyone know WHY they want to ban the Odyssey? I just can't think what is objectionable to the Left.
God, I hate when they do that.

Their ethos holds that children shouldn’t have to read stories written in anything other than the present-day vernacular—especially those "in which racism, sexism, ableism, anti-Semitism, and other forms of hate are the norm

Yeah, that's it, that's the article I read, too. Any ideas on why they would ban the Odyssey? I always thought Circe turning Odysseus' men into pigs was quite a refreshing feminist statement ---- I'm just not seeing the problem. And besides, Brad Pitt played Achilles in the movie, wow. Gotta love that. There is some bad violence right at the end, but lots of books have terrible violence in them and that isn't a leftist reason to ban them all, apparently, so far. I wish that article had gone into more depth: they asked a question they didn't answer.
It's been a long time since I read it, but probably the very first line is the reason: kids shouldn't have to read anything written more than 70 years ago, because everything should be in modern vernacular.

I completely and categorically disagree with these people. I'm an English teacher, so I know a little about it. Yes, it can be tough for students with poor reading skills to wade through Hawthorne, or an epic poem like the Odyssey. The first few goes at Shakespeare are like a foreign language. To get reluctant or poor readers to read ( which is the only way to improve their skills) YES you start with high interest fiction written in easy to understand language. As their facility and interest increases, then you feed them a bit of something that twists the language around a bit. I liked to use James Herriott, who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small stories sometimes. Then you can try a little Mark Twain. A little Hawthorne (although I personally wouldn't chose him either), some Walt Whitman...my freshmen loved Romeo and Juliet, wanted me to read it to them. It was meant to be heard, performed, not read. It stretches their proficiency in understanding complex sentence structure, builds vocabulary and gives them a window into another time and place. All very good things.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. These people are full of shit and I hope they get booted out of that school fast, for the kids' sake.

:) Yes, of course we agree on that. As for Shakespeare, I remember a woman saying it was a foreign language to her; she couldn't understand it at all. I felt like that about Chaucer early on. But I'm three plays from the end of the Shakespeare canon, and it comes with a dividend, Chaucer of course. It's an issue of practice.

As for the vernacular thing, I read that but it didn't compute ---- I can see it re Hawthorne, which would be read in the (difficult) original, but no one would read the Odyssey in the original, and almost no one can even translate 8th century BC Greek. (I once met the great translator of both the Homer stories, Richmond Lattimore, and he had wonderful things to say. I've read his translations over and over, since.) So ----- why don't they teach an up-to-date translation? There must be lots. There's a new translation of Don Quixote out, which is quite modern, and I'm reading the new Tom Holland translation of Herodotus, which is positively chatty. I like new translations: I agree that stilted 19th century verbiage isn't maybe the best way to teach a classic, but people are doing new translations all the time now.

However, on talking this over with my husband, he says the point is not that the Odyssey is racist-sexist-whatever but that banning it makes time-room for black writing or whatever lesser lights. "The steeples must be cut down so the chimneys can aspire." That the Odyssey was written by a white male, so it should be discarded on that basis alone. I expect he's right, that this is why they want to ban older classics.
Well, they've been attacking the white male canon for at least fifty years, women first--slim pickings--i had to read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice three times in college, the Brontes. Lol. I still chuckle at my philosophy prof Humanities teacher ranting about the psychopath Heathcliff and the sick twisted dysfunctional relationship between he and Catherine. Honestly. Philosophers. Or should I say "men"? But I loved Adrienne Rich, Sylvia Plath.

i liked the African American additions to the canon...Toni Morrison, whose Son of Solomon is one of the best American novels of the 20th century, seriously. Malcolm X, Maya Angelou, James Baldwin... lots of good writers. Of course, being an English major AND a bookworm, I didn't have to worry about missing out on anyone. I read as many classics and recommended books as I could.

Many of these I didn't read 'tIl after high school; I don't remember a whole lot of classics in high school. Shakespeare each year, Huck Finn, Steinbeck, Thoreau, Salinger, Harper Lee. But we read a lot of "relevant adolescent fiction," too. It was already a thing in 1970.

I suppose for folks who aren't going to spend much time in lit class it's hard to decide with such a wonderful smorgasbord to choose from. I certainly don't think kids are missing out by reading The Bluest Eye instead of Wuthering Heights.

There are a lot of voices competing for space in the canon. Women, Native Americans, Asian Americans, blacks, Hispanics, even white trash like Chute and Dorothy Allison. Love 'em all.

Harrison Ford is 78. Grampa thinks it's fine for a 78 year old to make an action movie but a 78 year old president is too old.

No, a 78 year old who can't tie his own shoes is a problem.
Worse when you can't even see your shoes.

He may not see them, but he can tie them.

Xiden can't even play with a puppy without severely injuring himself

Now I'm not here to cheerlead for Depp but WTF???
Disney is also recasting his role in the Pirates of the Caribbean. Reportedly to a female lead. Like wtf??? He IS Pirates of the Caribbean.

He beat Amber Heard in a court of law so whats the beef? Have I missed some new TMZ expose?

lol

There is no 'cancel culture,' it's a myth, a rightwing contrivance.
The only myth is your belief in your own intellectual capacity.

Idiot
This explains why the notion of ‘cancel culture’ is a myth:

Disney is also recasting his role in the Pirates of the Caribbean. Reportedly to a female lead. Like wtf??? He IS Pirates of the Caribbean.

He beat Amber Heard in a court of law so whats the beef? Have I missed some new TMZ expose?

Not to be lazy here but what did he do for them to do this? Did he say something bad about BLM or something? :D

lol

Try telling that to David Icke.

Cancel Culture Psychopaths

While Depp seems to be something of a dick, he is one of the best English-speaking actors on the planet. I'm no fan of Pirates..., but that is just one small element of his work.

This is ABSOLUTELY "cancel culture," and it is evil. If everyone who does something "bad" is going to be erased (like the HS cheerleader who posted the N-word), then we are all subject to capricious actions by self-appointed wankers.

First, Netflix did not cancel Depp. (I really don't like Depp as an actor, he's done a few movies I've hated, and his being in a film makes me less likely to want to watch it.)

The reason for this is that all of Johnny Depp’s movies are licensed to Netflix from the likes of Universal, Paramount, Disney, and Warner Brothers. This means that titles cycle off and on Netflix depending on which distributor is lending them out. What’s happened is there’s now a gap with no Depp movies on Netflix and people have mistaken that for a targeted action by Netflix.

What should concern us is that the movie studios are trying to lock us all into "Streaming services" to see what we want to see, as opposed to being able to go to a theater, rent a DVD or just wait for it to come on a regular TV channel. With theaters being forced to close due to TRUMP PLAGUE, we are all being hearded into paying for streaming services.

Right now, I have Disney, which I only watch for the Mandelorean, and CBS All Access, which I only watch for Star Trek. While it's not a huge amount of money, it will add up if we all have 10 streaming services to watch a variety of movies.

Harrison Ford is 78. Grampa thinks it's fine for a 78 year old to make an action movie but a 78 year old president is too old.

Here’s a question: why are you such a goddamn liar?

Right now, I have Disney, which I only watch for the Mandelorean, and CBS All Access, which I only watch for Star Trek. While it's not a huge amount of money, it will add up if we all have 10 streaming services to watch a variety of movies.
I have way too many and need to drop a few.

Hulu/Disney+ bundle
Netflix
CBS All Access (also for Star Trek: Discovery, although I’ve been enjoying my all-time favorite Western, The Rifleman)
Sling Blue
Amazon Prime Video, which just comes with Prime, so it’s the best deal of all.

Theres a few good free ones though. Peacock just requires an email address. Tubi has some decent stuff.

Here’s a question: why are you such a goddamn liar?

What's that ryecatcher? You're exposing your sockness. Idiot.

Well, they've been attacking the white male canon for at least fifty years, women first--slim pickings--i had to read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice three times in college, the Brontes. Lol. I still chuckle at my philosophy prof Humanities teacher ranting about the psychopath Heathcliff and the sick twisted dysfunctional relationship between he and Catherine. Honestly. Philosophers. Or should I say "men"? But I loved Adrienne Rich, Sylvia Plath.

i liked the African American additions to the canon...Toni Morrison, whose Son of Solomon is one of the best American novels of the 20th century, seriously. Malcolm X, Maya Angelou, James Baldwin... lots of good writers. Of course, being an English major AND a bookworm, I didn't have to worry about missing out on anyone. I read as many classics and recommended books as I could.

Many of these I didn't read 'tIl after high school; I don't remember a whole lot of classics in high school. Shakespeare each year, Huck Finn, Steinbeck, Thoreau, Salinger, Harper Lee. But we read a lot of "relevant adolescent fiction," too. It was already a thing in 1970.

I suppose for folks who aren't going to spend much time in lit class it's hard to decide with such a wonderful smorgasbord to choose from. I certainly don't think kids are missing out by reading The Bluest Eye instead of Wuthering Heights.

There are a lot of voices competing for space in the canon. Women, Native Americans, Asian Americans, blacks, Hispanics, even white trash like Chute and Dorothy Allison. Love 'em all.

I'm more of an agnostic about the canon than you might think --- I read E.D. Hirsch's Cultural Literacy years ago and got something out of it I don't think the author intended. His point is that we need a common canon to communicate, to quote from, to make references to. And I thought -- this is a case of it doesn't matter WHAT, it matters THAT. Shakespeare and Arthurian works were part of the we-all-know-this canon for a long time: Tolkien's work is soused in Arthur. As long as we have SOMETHING in common, we can talk: All in the Family, Big Bang, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, anything by Stephen King, etc. And I'm not sure everyone needs to talk to everyone about the same literature or art. If the public schools want to teach only feminist and black studies, whatever --- they probably aren't going to do a lot of referring to literature anyway. I would expect private schools to teach a more --- conventional, high-quality --- curriculum. And those people can talk to each other. They do anyway. We do anyway. My husband was talking about Latin classes (there's an extinct species) to an acquaintance at work a few years ago, and the other guy suddenly stopped and belted out, by memory, the entire first page of the Aeneid, in Latin! They were both very happy about this, I gather.

Also, from a whole nother point of view, I am a believer in quantity, not quality, when it comes to reading. I don't think it matters WHAT the kids are reading: it matters that they are reading at all. There didn't used to be so many books in the really old days, so I read and reread the entire opus of The Bobbsey Twins, faute de mieux. I'm sure access to "better" would have been nice, but hey, some of us will read cereal boxes, and glad to get 'em. I share an Audible subscription with a young granddaughter, and I don't know if she realizes I see her choices, because I have never mentioned it at all. She reads a LOT of YA novels involving werewolves and large sexy cat-people and --- well, she's reading. I can remember when I was reading all the 50s scifi I could get my hands on, age 10 on, and there were people thought all that was trash! Now they are classics, of course, and I have them pretty much memorized. Ha, I got one-up there. I think the point of education is to teach us what there is to learn, and reading ANYTHING counts.

I'm more of an agnostic about the canon than you might think --- I read E.D. Hirsch's Cultural Literacy years ago and got something out of it I don't think the author intended. His point is that we need a common canon to communicate, to quote from, to make references to. And I thought -- this is a case of it doesn't matter WHAT, it matters THAT. Shakespeare and Arthurian works were part of the we-all-know-this canon for a long time: Tolkien's work is soused in Arthur. As long as we have SOMETHING in common, we can talk: All in the Family, Big Bang, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, anything by Stephen King, etc. And I'm not sure everyone needs to talk to everyone about the same literature or art. If the public schools want to teach only feminist and black studies, whatever --- they probably aren't going to do a lot of referring to literature anyway. I would expect private schools to teach a more --- conventional, high-quality --- curriculum. And those people can talk to each other. They do anyway. We do anyway. My husband was talking about Latin classes (there's an extinct species) to an acquaintance at work a few years ago, and the other guy suddenly stopped and belted out, by memory, the entire first page of the Aeneid, in Latin! They were both very happy about this, I gather.

Also, from a whole nother point of view, I am a believer in quantity, not quality, when it comes to reading. I don't think it matters WHAT the kids are reading: it matters that they are reading at all. There didn't used to be so many books in the really old days, so I read and reread the entire opus of The Bobbsey Twins, faute de mieux. I'm sure access to "better" would have been nice, but hey, some of us will read cereal boxes, and glad to get 'em. I share an Audible subscription with a young granddaughter, and I don't know if she realizes I see her choices, because I have never mentioned it at all. She reads a LOT of YA novels involving werewolves and large sexy cat-people and --- well, she's reading. I can remember when I was reading all the 50s scifi I could get my hands on, age 10 on, and there were people thought all that was trash! Now they are classics, of course, and I have them pretty much memorized. Ha, I got one-up there. I think the point of education is to teach us what there is to learn, and reading ANYTHING counts.
Definitely. I hope I didn't come off as purist. Just defending having classics before 1950 included.

I don’t know her or her alleged or real actions. She may be a horrible person and have done horrible things. I don’t see how “fuckable and forgettable” addresses any of that
Plenty of ways to say someone is a piece of shit. I try to look at what people are trying to say over what they are actually saying. Admittedly I don't always get it right, but I try.

In context, he's obviously upset over what she is and has done to Depp. I don't like liars, and I really don't like people who try to be a victim to gain power. There is no, and should be no, power in victimhood. It's just another way to bully people. I really don't like bullies.

Cancel Culture will only flourish under His Excellency Joseph R. Biden, Jr.

Many actors will become non-persons, as was done to outcastes in the USSR. For example, they were even cropped out of photographs.

Look at that actor (I forget his name). He was accused of crimes against other gays. So now he is finished as an actor. All his TV appearances are prohibited. No more movie roles.

One day he was on top; today he is an outcaste.

Cancel Culture will only flourish under His Excellency Joseph R. Biden, Jr.

Many actors will become non-persons, as was done to outcastes in the USSR. For example, they were even cropped out of photographs.

Look at that actor (I forget his name). He was accused of crimes against other gays. So now he is finished as an actor. All his TV appearances are prohibited. No more movie roles.

One day he was on top; today he is an outcaste.

If you are thinking of Kevin Spacey, he was accused of sexually assaulting other men and in some cases boys.

There was one movie where he was supposed to have a role, and they went back and reshot all his scenes with another actor.

Bill Cosby has also been largely expunged from popular culture because of the whole drugging women and raping them thing.

So, your complaint is that if you do horrible things, no one will want to hire you? Really?

I don’t know her or her alleged or real actions. She may be a horrible person and have done horrible things. I don’t see how “fuckable and forgettable” addresses any of that
Plenty of ways to say someone is a piece of shit. I try to look at what people are trying to say over what they are actually saying. Admittedly I don't always get it right, but I try.

In context, he's obviously upset over what she is and has done to Depp. I don't like liars, and I really don't like people who try to be a victim to gain power. There is no, and should be no, power in victimhood. It's just another way to bully people. I really don't like bullies.
Well said. I agree

lol

Depp was part of the cancel culture. Now he has been cancelled. Prog Socialism is a secular religion with endless resources as tentacles. The secular religion is now taking on a life of its own as people deeply involved in t are being jettisoned as needed.

I mean didn’t he beat his wife? If so then I have no problem with him getting canceled
Not according to the court verdict

According to a court verdict, OJ didn't kill his wife.

Forum List

Back