This cancel culture shit needs to stop. Netflix removes ALL movies with Johnny Depp in them.

Now I'm not here to cheerlead for Depp but WTF???
Disney is also recasting his role in the Pirates of the Caribbean. Reportedly to a female lead. Like wtf??? He IS Pirates of the Caribbean.

He beat Amber Heard in a court of law so whats the beef? Have I missed some new TMZ expose?

I do think the dude is definitely weird but weird is not a crime.

I mean didn’t he beat his wife? If so then I have no problem with him getting canceled
His wife beat him!

Don’t get your panties in a wad gramps you can still watch Depp flix on the net

Depp has had some excellent movies. I like the smaller, more intellectual ones he does a lot. I hope they are not cancelling these, or any.

I just read that there is a move on in the Cancel Culture to ban teaching of the Odyssey. And that one school in Massachusetts did ban it. I know the Odyssey pretty well; does anyone know WHY they want to ban the Odyssey? I just can't think what is objectionable to the Left.
God, I hate when they do that.

Their ethos holds that children shouldn’t have to read stories written in anything other than the present-day vernacular—especially those "in which racism, sexism, ableism, anti-Semitism, and other forms of hate are the norm

Yeah, that's it, that's the article I read, too. Any ideas on why they would ban the Odyssey? I always thought Circe turning Odysseus' men into pigs was quite a refreshing feminist statement ---- I'm just not seeing the problem. And besides, Brad Pitt played Achilles in the movie, wow. Gotta love that. There is some bad violence right at the end, but lots of books have terrible violence in them and that isn't a leftist reason to ban them all, apparently, so far. I wish that article had gone into more depth: they asked a question they didn't answer.

Depp has had some excellent movies. I like the smaller, more intellectual ones he does a lot. I hope they are not cancelling these, or any.

I just read that there is a move on in the Cancel Culture to ban teaching of the Odyssey. And that one school in Massachusetts did ban it. I know the Odyssey pretty well; does anyone know WHY they want to ban the Odyssey? I just can't think what is objectionable to the Left.

Their ethos holds that children shouldn’t have to read stories written in anything other than the present-day vernacular—especially those "in which racism, sexism, ableism, anti-Semitism, and other forms of hate are the norm

Yeah, that's it, that's the article I read, too. Any ideas on why they would ban the Odyssey? I always thought Circe turning Odysseus' men into pigs was quite a refreshing feminist statement ---- I'm just not seeing the problem. And besides, Brad Pitt played Achilles in the movie, wow. Gotta love that. There is some bad violence right at the end, but lots of books have terrible violence in them and that isn't a leftist reason to ban them all, apparently, so far. I wish that article had gone into more depth: they asked a question they didn't answer.
It's been a long time since I read it, but probably the very first line is the reason: kids shouldn't have to read anything written more than 70 years ago, because everything should be in modern vernacular.

I completely and categorically disagree with these people. I'm an English teacher, so I know a little about it. Yes, it can be tough for students with poor reading skills to wade through Hawthorne, or an epic poem like the Odyssey. The first few goes at Shakespeare are like a foreign language. To get reluctant or poor readers to read ( which is the only way to improve their skills) YES you start with high interest fiction written in easy to understand language. As their facility and interest increases, then you feed them a bit of something that twists the language around a bit. I liked to use James Herriott, who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small stories sometimes. Then you can try a little Mark Twain. A little Hawthorne (although I personally wouldn't chose him either), some Walt Whitman...my freshmen loved Romeo and Juliet, wanted me to read it to them. It was meant to be heard, performed, not read. It stretches their proficiency in understanding complex sentence structure, builds vocabulary and gives them a window into another time and place. All very good things.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. These people are full of shit and I hope they get booted out of that school fast, for the kids' sake.

It's been a long time since I read it, but probably the very first line is the reason: kids shouldn't have to read anything written more than 70 years ago, because everything should be in modern vernacular.

I completely and categorically disagree with these people. I'm an English teacher, so I know a little about it. Yes, it can be tough for students with poor reading skills to wade through Hawthorne, or an epic poem like the Odyssey. The first few goes at Shakespeare are like a foreign language. To get reluctant or poor readers to read ( which is the only way to improve their skills) YES you start with high interest fiction written in easy to understand language. As their facility and interest increases, then you feed them a bit of something that twists the language around a bit. I liked to use James Herriott, who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small stories sometimes. Then you can try a little Mark Twain. A little Hawthorne (although I personally wouldn't chose him either), some Walt Whitman...my freshmen loved Romeo and Juliet, wanted me to read it to them. It was meant to be heard, performed, not read. It stretches their proficiency in understanding complex sentence structure, builds vocabulary and gives them a window into another time and place. All very good things.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. These people are full of shit and I hope they get booted out of that school fast, for the kids' sake.

:) Yes, of course we agree on that. As for Shakespeare, I remember a woman saying it was a foreign language to her; she couldn't understand it at all. I felt like that about Chaucer early on. But I'm three plays from the end of the Shakespeare canon, and it comes with a dividend, Chaucer of course. It's an issue of practice.

As for the vernacular thing, I read that but it didn't compute ---- I can see it re Hawthorne, which would be read in the (difficult) original, but no one would read the Odyssey in the original, and almost no one can even translate 8th century BC Greek. (I once met the great translator of both the Homer stories, Richmond Lattimore, and he had wonderful things to say. I've read his translations over and over, since.) So ----- why don't they teach an up-to-date translation? There must be lots. There's a new translation of Don Quixote out, which is quite modern, and I'm reading the new Tom Holland translation of Herodotus, which is positively chatty. I like new translations: I agree that stilted 19th century verbiage isn't maybe the best way to teach a classic, but people are doing new translations all the time now.

However, on talking this over with my husband, he says the point is not that the Odyssey is racist-sexist-whatever but that banning it makes time-room for black writing or whatever lesser lights. "The steeples must be cut down so the chimneys can aspire." That the Odyssey was written by a white male, so it should be discarded on that basis alone. I expect he's right, that this is why they want to ban older classics.

That’s okay I cancelled Netflix and Disney months ago. It will be a cold day in hell before I support either of those again.
Disney still has all the pirate movies.
Disney employs vile human beings. They are a disgusting company ( as is Marvel).
They have them all because they own the franchise. That means no matter which platform you watch them on you're still laying Disney.

I agree that Disney is scum, BTW.

Haha. Stupid standard? No it’s a great standard to live by, why do you think it a good and healthy thing for anybody to ever say a girl is fuckable and forgettable?! Maybe if you remembered she is somebody’s daughter and then thought about another creepy old guy saying that about your daughter you would check yourself and not be such a scum bag. It’s called having character... try it
Dudes don't need to trade daughters and rape the shit out of them like that.
I talk shit all the time but that doesn’t mean I’m right to do so. If somebody checks me on it then fine I’ll own what I said and apologize. Hopefully do better in the future.
And I don't give a fuck what you own up to, either, because professional pimps and whoremongers are consummate liars and manipulators too... You and your kind of miserable God-forsaken lying rapist swine destroyed not only my life but my entire hometown and country as well, you miserable cocksucker piece of shit.
Easy buddy. Go drink a glass of water. Words are just flying out of your mouth and you’re only sounding foolish. Gather yourself and come back when you’re less emotional

Disney is also recasting his role in the Pirates of the Caribbean. Reportedly to a female lead. Like wtf??? He IS Pirates of the Caribbean.

He beat Amber Heard in a court of law so whats the beef? Have I missed some new TMZ expose?

I don't think it has anything to do with cancel culture. Warner and Disney have started their own competing streaming platforms. Netflix's streaming distribution contract for Disney movies has expired.

Netflix is toast.
Netflix is far from toast. I don’t think you have the slightest understanding of their business model
And Disney doesn't own all of Depps flicks.
Heard played him like a fiddle and many in the entertainment industry are supporting her for it.

She is as toxic as they come.
She would be great. Bring it on
Fuckable & forgettable.

If that's your idea of great, so be it.
You sound like a real winner Gramps. I hope nobody speaks about your daughter that way
Yes, I can never speak my opinion of a woman because I have a daughter..... makes total sense.

Guess I'm fucked cause I have a father, grandson and brother too.

I will never speak of a human again

View attachment 434559
Perhaps you just show a little more respect. And recognize that she is somebody’s daughter just as you have a daughter. Maybe you just speak about them the way you would want others to speak about your children it’s not a hard concept to understand
EVERYONE is someone's son or daughter. What a stupid fucking standard to go by.
You better not ever criticize ANYONE
Haha. Stupid standard? No it’s a great standard to live by, why do you think it a good and healthy thing for anybody to ever say a girl is fuckable and forgettable?! Maybe if you remembered she is somebody’s daughter and then thought about another creepy old guy saying that about your daughter you would check yourself and not be such a scum bag. It’s called having character... try it
Or you could stop trying to live my life for me?

If you've seen even half of the videos of her abusing Depp perhaps you would realize what a low life piece of trash she is.

No different than when a man does it. But you have your standards....just don't impose them on me.

PS. A fine looking piece of ass is a fine looking piece of ass
I’m living my own life not trying to live yours but when I hear somebody speaking like a douchebag I’m gonna call it out. You didn’t criticize her for abusing her husband you said she was fuckable and forgettable. You own that. You should be just fine with anybody else saying the same things about your kids. Care to post a photo of your daughter for us? I’m sure plenty here would love to give you their opinions about how fuckable she is.
There is no doubt I can be and often am an asshole BUT this is the internet ya moron.
In the real world I would never disrespect someone's family. Hell, I don't even do that on here. I have defended Michelle Obama and her girls on too many occasions to count. But hey, you be you and jump to conclusions.
This woman (Amber) was all too eager to put her personal shit in the public eye so excuse the fuck out of me if I comment on it and her.

Now fuck off
I’m glad you don’t speak this way in person. I’m reacting to what I’m seeing. It sounds like you know it’s inappropriate. So you could simply say yes I’m being asshole and fucking around. Don’t defend it like it’s ok.
This is America--I went to SE Asia and got shot at defending his right to say whatever he wants to say. The first amendment is sacrosanct. If you don't like it, leave the thread otherwise fuck off. It is morons like you that are promoting the idea that the N word can be used without penalty if you are black, but your life goes in the shit hole if you utter it and you are white. Hypocrites.
I’m sorry, you misunderstand me. I’ve never implied that he doesn’t have the right to say whatever he wants. He can say anything and has every right to do so, just as I have the right to call his words deplorable and the add perspective by mentioning the golden rule and his daughters. You also fought for my right to say what I’m saying... correct?

Thank you for your service. I sincerely do appreciate it

I hadn’t heard that but certainly do not support the banning of books. If anything other books should be added if they see an imbalance or subject matter

I’m living my own life not trying to live yours but when I hear somebody speaking like a douchebag I’m gonna call it out. You didn’t criticize her for abusing her husband you said she was fuckable and forgettable. You own that.
Well... To be fair the whole reason he's saying that is because that way is because of what she's done to others. Obviously, and mainly, Depp himself.

While his opinion of her may not be worth merit to you, her actions should at least be something that don't condone with "character" being on the line.

Again... Hate makes people stupid. Tend to say stupid things. And she's making it pretty easy to hate her.
I don’t know her or her alleged or real actions. She may be a horrible person and have done horrible things. I don’t see how “fuckable and forgettable” addresses any of that

Harrison Ford is 78. Grampa thinks it's fine for a 78 year old to make an action movie but a 78 year old president is too old.
Actually I do believe that. Going to the fucking movies isn't going to alter my life in any meaningful way. It isn't going to raise/lower my taxes. It isn't going to change the OSHA regulations I have to follow. It isn't going to force me onto a new healthcare policy. And on and on....

I can't believe you want there.

BEYOND STUPID to compare the two
It's still ageism.

Harrison Ford is 78. Grampa thinks it's fine for a 78 year old to make an action movie but a 78 year old president is too old.
Nope, a 78 year old alzheimers patient is not qualified to be pres. Piglosi and Kameltoe will introduce you to the 25th amendment if they don't end up in jail.
I'm sorry - what were you saying?

I know you're sorry--your avatar says it all. And you can keep your link--I don't patronize any of those communist social media sites--FB, Twitter, TikTok--none of 'em. BTW, your democrat is showing after that last on topic comment.

Oh, you're good and triggered!
4i6Ckte.gif

He's too old for Pirates. That's why they are re-casting. That was planned before his court battle. I think Margot Robbie was tapped to take over.
How is he too old??? Harrison Ford is making a new Raiders of the Lost Ark movie ffs.

The only thing I could see is maybe he has a severe booze or drug problem? But even then you could deal with it for the profit if it isn't crazy bad. I had a guy who I finally had to let go because of booze and still today almost 10 years later customers are still sad he didn't return for the next job.
He also has a severe booze and drug problem.
It does sound like it in all the secret tapes but so do I many nights in here right? Yet when I goto work I am loved by my customers.
Surface judging is dangerous
I have zero doubt that he is guilty of everything she accused him of doing. He's been a privileged asshole for a very long time.

I don't think it has anything to do with cancel culture. Warner and Disney have started their own competing streaming platforms. Netflix's streaming distribution contract for Disney movies has expired.

Netflix is toast.
Netflix is far from toast. I don’t think you have the slightest understanding of their business model
Heard played him like a fiddle and many in the entertainment industry are supporting her for it.

Fuckable & forgettable.

You sound like a real winner Gramps. I hope nobody speaks about your daughter that way
Yes, I can never speak my opinion of a woman because I have a daughter..... makes total sense.

View attachment 434559
Perhaps you just show a little more respect. And recognize that she is somebody’s daughter just as you have a daughter. Maybe you just speak about them the way you would want others to speak about your children it’s not a hard concept to understand
Bunch of judgemental SJW's here today. That's OK Gramps, Fuck em and forget em.
And they will be the first in line to throw vile comments at Ivanka Trump. They can piss off with their selective outrage.
She's a criminal. She belongs in prison with her husband and hopefully they will be.

As lousy as it is to beat your wife, it has nothing to do with his acting roles.
The people who say this are the first to say they won't watch a Roman Polanski movie because of his outstanding rape case, or won't watch a Woody Allen movie because his deranged ex-girlfriend made up a vindictive accusation, or won't watch a Mel Gibson movie because he hit his wife and is a closet anti-Semitic, or won't watch an Alec Baldwin movie because he yelled at his daughter in a voicemail.

Those examples of cancel culture are just fine.
? Individual choice is the key here. Sure, if they want to not watch a movie because of any of those things, that's fine. But take it off a movie rental site because of it? That's where it seems like someone else is making that choice for me. It's their business, so I know it's their choice, but I also agree with the customers who don't like it. Unless it really is because they lost the Disney contract and this has nothing to do with cancel culture.
A company's values are very important, for PR and for brand goodwill. No company wants to be associated with anything that reflects badly on them. That is an ever-shifting place to be. For a while Mike Tyson was toxic, as was Lindsey Lohan, as was Rob Lowe, as were so many others. They all came back if they were bankable. Lohan, not so much. If Depp is still bankable he'll come back, but that is very doubtful. His career has been sliding for 10 years. I think it started with Lone Ranger, a colossal bomb.

This article explains a lot about the current situation:

"He's Radioactive": Inside Johnny Depp's Self-Made Implosion

It wasn't just erratic and violent behavior that wrecked one of the world's most bankable stars. It was his unquenchable thirst for revenge.
In the face of mounting bad publicity, Johnny Depp could still count on one friendly industry group — a Polish film festival.

On Nov. 21, the embattled star was poised to receive a career honor during the 28th EnergaCamerimage cinematography gala and had agreed to appear remotely from the U.S., with his virtual presence touted in the press. As an added seal of approval at a needed moment, the festival scheduled his latest film, the low-budget period drama Minamata, as its closing-night offering. But after a montage of clips showcasing Depp's "unique visual sensitivity," the 57-year-old actor failed to materialize onscreen. Instead, he sent along a bizarre picture of himself — open-shirted and with platinum blond hair peeking out from under a pair of colorful scarves. Inexplicably, he appeared to be standing behind bars in a Caribbean prison — resembling a carefree swashbuckler serving time for a crime that he doesn't quite take seriously. Minamata, featuring Depp as real-life war photographer W. Eugene Smith, never screened. MGM, the film's distributor, removed it during the seven-day festival citing piracy concerns.

Depp's absence offered a fitting denouement to a month of reputational and career devastation. On Nov. 2, a U.K. court had ruled against him in his high-stakes libel suit against tabloid The Sun over its description of him as a "wife beater." In fact, the judge made clear that he believed Depp had assaulted ex-wife Amber Heard on multiple occasions and that she frequently feared for her life. In the ensuing days, Warner Bros. excised him from its Fantastic Beasts franchise — a firing that played out publicly — while sources tell THR that he is no longer involved with a prestige Harry Houdini TV project produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, his most powerful remaining ally. Over the course of four short years, Depp has spiraled from an A-list star responsible for more than $10 billion in worldwide box office to Hollywood persona non grata, beginning when Heard's abuse allegations first surfaced in 2016 and continuing through a scorched-earth legal strategy that has seen him sue everyone in his path. The result is a tsunami of tabloid fodder as sensitive texts, emails and drug-fueled and violent anecdotes spilled out into the public view. Despite multiple attempts to contact him, Depp could not be reached for comment.

There are few examples of a movie-star implosion of Depp's magnitude that have been so sudden and spectacular. During the height of his stardom, a 13-year stretch ending in 2016, Depp earned some $650 million, including $55 million from his profit participation on 2010's Alice in Wonderland, a Disney tentpole that earned $1.03 billion worldwide. For Minamata, which opens Feb. 21, he was paid just $3 million. The claims made in at least six recent suits, along with multiple interviews conducted by THR, paint a picture of an out-of-control Depp, a casualty of Hollywood's sycophant culture in which his wild spending and substance abuse were rarely challenged. Or as one producer who worked on a recent Depp project notes, "He's just never been told no for the past 35 years. That's typical in Hollywood. But I've never seen it to this extent." November 2020 simply offered the punctuation.

Much more at the link.

As lousy as it is to beat your wife, it has nothing to do with his acting roles.
The people who say this are the first to say they won't watch a Roman Polanski movie because of his outstanding rape case, or won't watch a Woody Allen movie because his deranged ex-girlfriend made up a vindictive accusation, or won't watch a Mel Gibson movie because he hit his wife and is a closet anti-Semitic, or won't watch an Alec Baldwin movie because he yelled at his daughter in a voicemail.

People's individual, voluntary decisions are not the problem!! It's depriving everyone everywhere of certain books, movies, games, histories, statues, everything because they want to CONTROL what people can access and think about.
I quickly watched the Naked Gun comedies before the O.J. Simpson trial because I knew I would never want to see them again --- and I haven't, either. But I wouldn't outlaw them! That is the same as book-burning.
They haven't banned the Naked Gun movies.
4i6Ckte.gif

Netflix is toast.

Fuckable & forgettable.

View attachment 434559
EVERYONE is someone's son or daughter. What a stupid fucking standard to go by.
You better not ever criticize ANYONE
Or you could stop trying to live my life for me?

If you've seen even half of the videos of her abusing Depp perhaps you would realize what a low life piece of trash she is.

No different than when a man does it. But you have your standards....just don't impose them on me.

PS. A fine looking piece of ass is a fine looking piece of ass
I’m living my own life not trying to live yours but when I hear somebody speaking like a douchebag I’m gonna call it out. You didn’t criticize her for abusing her husband you said she was fuckable and forgettable. You own that. You should be just fine with anybody else saying the same things about your kids. Care to post a photo of your daughter for us? I’m sure plenty here would love to give you their opinions about how fuckable she is.
There is no doubt I can be and often am an asshole BUT this is the internet ya moron.
In the real world I would never disrespect someone's family. Hell, I don't even do that on here. I have defended Michelle Obama and her girls on too many occasions to count. But hey, you be you and jump to conclusions.
This woman (Amber) was all too eager to put her personal shit in the public eye so excuse the fuck out of me if I comment on it and her.

Now fuck off
I’m glad you don’t speak this way in person. I’m reacting to what I’m seeing. It sounds like you know it’s inappropriate. So you could simply say yes I’m being asshole and fucking around. Don’t defend it like it’s ok.
This is America--I went to SE Asia and got shot at defending his right to say whatever he wants to say. The first amendment is sacrosanct. If you don't like it, leave the thread otherwise fuck off. It is morons like you that are promoting the idea that the N word can be used without penalty if you are black, but your life goes in the shit hole if you utter it and you are white. Hypocrites.
I’m sorry, you misunderstand me. I’ve never implied that he doesn’t have the right to say whatever he wants. He can say anything and has every right to do so, just as I have the right to call his words deplorable and the add perspective by mentioning the golden rule and his daughters. You also fought for my right to say what I’m saying... correct?

Thank you for your service. I sincerely do appreciate it
No thanks necessary, honored to have done it.

Nope, a 78 year old alzheimers patient is not qualified to be pres. Piglosi and Kameltoe will introduce you to the 25th amendment if they don't end up in jail.
I'm sorry - what were you saying?

I know you're sorry--your avatar says it all. And you can keep your link--I don't patronize any of those communist social media sites--FB, Twitter, TikTok--none of 'em. BTW, your democrat is showing after that last on topic comment.

Oh, you're good and triggered!
4i6Ckte.gif

You only wish.

Forum List

Back