They want to put dead bodies on cigarette packs...

Well, if they're going to do that they should put pictures of rotten teeth on soda bottles. And fast food should have to have pictures of clogged arteries on the wrappers.

The new labels will fill the top half - front and back - of each pack of cigarettes sold in the U.S. They will also appear in ads. Cigarette makers must run all nine labels on a rotating basis. They have until the fall of 2012 to comply.

Uruguay has some of the world's strongest warning labels. One shows a person smoking a battery like it's a cigarette to illustrate that both products contain the toxic metal cadmium. In Brazil, labels feature graphic images of dead fetuses, hemorrhaging brains, and gangrenous feet.

Cigarette warning labels too gory? Wait till you see other countries' - HealthPop - CBS News

They say Canada's smoking rate went down 6% in 10 years after the new labels were introduced.

They have gory pics on cigarette packs here and I think they're useless, the vast majority of people who are already smoking won't quit because of the pictures, and no-one I know ever started smoking once they could buy packets of them.

If you want to stop people smoking, a good way would be to make each cigarette look like a penis, and put on the boxes "Smoke me, cocksucker", that'd stop a lot of people smoking. :D

They have gory pics on cigarette packs here and I think they're useless, the vast majority of people who are already smoking won't quit because of the pictures, and no-one I know ever started smoking once they could buy packets of them.

If you want to stop people smoking, a good way would be to make each cigarette look like a penis, and put on the boxes "Smoke me, cocksucker", that'd stop a lot of people smoking. :D

That might get a lot of the gents to stop, or try real hard!!....but the ladies might keep puffing away :lol:

The new labels will fill the top half - front and back - of each pack of cigarettes sold in the U.S. They will also appear in ads. Cigarette makers must run all nine labels on a rotating basis. They have until the fall of 2012 to comply.

Uruguay has some of the world's strongest warning labels. One shows a person smoking a battery like it's a cigarette to illustrate that both products contain the toxic metal cadmium. In Brazil, labels feature graphic images of dead fetuses, hemorrhaging brains, and gangrenous feet.

Cigarette warning labels too gory? Wait till you see other countries' - HealthPop - CBS News

They say Canada's smoking rate went down 6% in 10 years after the new labels were introduced.

What is wrong with smoking?

Why do people have to conform to a standardized social philosophy?

I'm an individual not a sheep. I'm capable of making my own decisions and if I want to smoke I will do it and if I don't I won't.

I don't need dead bodies on my smokes - I find that highly offensive in many ways.

I'm tired of these games.

Most of my friends who quit in recent years, did so because of the cost. It's almost 10 bucks a pack here in NJ. I have a feeling that's what happened in Canada as well.

I will bet anything the tobacco industry will win their First Amendment grievance.

Legally this is about the same as Obamacare.

The government can't force........

This is an allegedly free country...

I don't think they'll win, but it will be delayed.

The lawsuit is probably a smart move for tobacco companies, the AP reported. Several industry experts believe that even if cigarette makers fail to make their case, the resulting delay could push back the launch date for the new labels by a few years.

“It probably will slow down the implementation process because they’ll ask for an injunction,” law professor John Banzhaf of George Washington University told the AP. “It’s not automatic, but since the court hasn’t had a chance to look at all the evidence they’ll likely put a hold on things and retain the status quo.”

Controversy Over Cigarette Warning... - Google News

I don't think they'll win, but it will be delayed.

The lawsuit is probably a smart move for tobacco companies, the AP reported. Several industry experts believe that even if cigarette makers fail to make their case, the resulting delay could push back the launch date for the new labels by a few years.

“It probably will slow down the implementation process because they’ll ask for an injunction,” law professor John Banzhaf of George Washington University told the AP. “It’s not automatic, but since the court hasn’t had a chance to look at all the evidence they’ll likely put a hold on things and retain the status quo.”

Controversy Over Cigarette Warning... - Google News

Oh they'll win...

Just like Obamacare was muted.

Despite how messed up our country is we still have the Bill of Rights...

That's the real reason why progressives hate classical liberals - we continually remind Americans this is not a nanny state and the government doesn't have the right to push you around.

You are far more optimistic than I. Outdoor smoking bans have passed in many communities despite there being no science to support it. I live in the nanny state of NJ. People don't give a shit about freedom if it doesn't affect them.

Most of my friends who quit in recent years, did so because of the cost. It's almost 10 bucks a pack here in NJ. I have a feeling that's what happened in Canada as well.

About 6 bucks a pack here, that's for Marlboro.
I always say, it's a damn good thing I never smoked, because I sure as hell couldn't afford to keep up the habit!
Cigarettes are very expensive!

Well, I wish that I had heeded the evidence. I finally quit smoking in February this year...when it was too late!

It's never too late. If you quit smoking by your mid 40's you can regain most of your lung function and your cancer risk drops exponentially every year. I think at 5 years it is roughly the same as the non-smoking society.

If you ever find yourself with unexplained weight loss, a persistent cough, a bloody cough, or any of the other symptoms of lung cancer, you should go to your Dr. and get a Chest X-ray immediately.

It was for me GtH. I was diagnosed with bladder cancer in February. Turned out to be deep seated and invasive. Until then I wasn't aware that most bladder cancers are due to smoking. Thanks to surgery, I'm now clear and recovering...and could I do with a nice cigar!

I am sorry to hear that. Most people don't realize that cigarette smoke is the number one risk factor for bladder cancer (and alcohol isn't a risk factor at all ironically).

Good luck with your recovery. I wish you a speedy convalescence.

What is wrong with smoking?

Why do people have to conform to a standardized social philosophy?

I'm an individual not a sheep. I'm capable of making my own decisions and if I want to smoke I will do it and if I don't I won't.

I don't need dead bodies on my smokes - I find that highly offensive in many ways.

I'm tired of these games.

Great. No one is keeping you from smoking as much as you want. If you are such a tough guy, I am sure a picture of someone exhaling through their neck won't bother you. You are capable of making your own decisions, after all.

BTW, and again, what dead body?

And how did people bitch when the price of smokes went up?

"This won't do anything to lower smoking rates! This is misguided!"

About 6 bucks a pack here, that's for Marlboro.
I always say, it's a damn good thing I never smoked, because I sure as hell couldn't afford to keep up the habit!
Cigarettes are very expensive!

They should have the fucking shit taxed out of them.

And that money should be dumped directly into Medicare and Medicaid, because that's where the cost of the habit is going to end up.

Forum List

Back