They stood over him and watched him die': Outrage in Alabama after white officer kills black man

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Uh oh.

Colvin Hinson heard his neighbor die.

It was about 3 a.m. Thursday when Hinson was awoken by a commotion outside his Montgomery, Ala., home. Someone was frantically pounding on his window and shouting his name.

As Hinson searched for his phone to dial 911, a flurry of gunshots suddenly split the night in two.

When he looked outside, though, Hinson realized it was pointless to call the police.

An officer was already there, with a gun in his hand.

“By the time I got to the door, the officer was standing there, my neighbor lying dead,” Hinson told the Montgomery Advertiser.

Details are still vague, with police providing few details, but the little that is known about the fatal Feb. 25 shooting already has stirred outrage.

The officer is white. His victim, a 58-year-old grocer named Gregory Gunn, was black and unarmed. Police say he was acting suspiciously, carrying a retractable painter’s stick and that the shooting followed some sort of struggle.

Now Gunn’s family is claiming he was killed because of the color of his skin.

“I know he was racially profiled,” Franklin Gunn, Gregory’s younger brother, told The Washington Post early Tuesday morning. “He was black. That was the only thing suspicious about him.

“They thought he was a low-life nothing, walking the street,” he said. “They didn’t see a man. They didn’t see a black man. They saw somebody who needed to die, and they executed him. Now they are trying to cover it up.”

‘They stood over him and watched him die': Outrage in Alabama after white officer kills black man

Understandable why they would want white officers in their neighborhood now.

Uh oh.

It was about 3 a.m. Thursday when Hinson was awoken by a commotion outside his Montgomery, Ala., home. Someone was frantically pounding on his window and shouting his name.

As Hinson searched for his phone to dial 911, a flurry of gunshots suddenly split the night in two.

When he looked outside, though, Hinson realized it was pointless to call the police.

“By the time I got to the door, the officer was standing there, my neighbor lying dead,” Hinson told the Montgomery Advertiser.

Details are still vague, with police providing few details, but the little that is known about the fatal Feb. 25 shooting already has stirred outrage.

The officer is white. His victim, a 58-year-old grocer named Gregory Gunn, was black and unarmed. Police say he was acting suspiciously, carrying a retractable painter’s stick and that the shooting followed some sort of struggle.

“I know he was racially profiled,” Franklin Gunn, Gregory’s younger brother, told The Washington Post early Tuesday morning. “He was black. That was the only thing suspicious about him.

“They thought he was a low-life nothing, walking the street,” he said. “They didn’t see a man. They didn’t see a black man. They saw somebody who needed to die, and they executed him. Now they are trying to cover it up.”

‘They stood over him and watched him die': Outrage in Alabama after white officer kills black man
What a horrible tragedy. I hope the State does a thourough and timely investigation, and that the community can accept their findings, what ever they may be. I sincerly hope that justice will be served. Mr. Gunn deserves nothing less. If the officer shot because of racially motivated suspicions, let him hang. If that is not the finding, let the community accept it was a tragic mistake and attempt to heal.

Uh oh.

What a horrible tragedy. I hope the State does a thourough and timely investigation, and that the community can accept their findings, what ever they may be. I sincerly hope that justice will be served. Mr. Gunn deserves nothing less. If the officer shot because of racially motivated suspicions, let him hang. If that is not the finding, let the community accept it was a tragic mistake and attempt to heal.
What you said....

BTW...where's Bucky? He usually beats us to start these shooting threads.

Uh oh.

The community will never accept it as a tragic mistake, regardless of what the truth is.

"They stood over him and watched him die" isn't journalism and it probably isn't even accurate. Is an intentional freaking cliche designed to inflame racial tensions during an election year. How did the Police get there so fast? Did someone else call 911 for a man with a gun? A female Police Officer died in the line of duty on her first day of work in Virginia and I don't hear anybody mourning her passing.

The police should get out of black communities. The blacks in those communities are just going to lie.

The police should get out of black communities. The blacks in those communities are just going to lie.

In the early 80's, they did the opposite in East Palo Alto, which was then the murder capitol of the world. They brought in neighboring jurisdictions. It worked really well, and East Palo Alto has been a mucho better place ever since.

"They stood over him and watched him die" isn't journalism and it probably isn't even accurate. Is an intentional freaking cliche designed to inflame racial tensions during an election year. How did the Police get there so fast? Did someone else call 911 for a man with a gun? A female Police Officer died in the line of duty on her first day of work in Virginia and I don't hear anybody mourning her passing.

You didn't bother to read the story, did you?

It is a no-brainer that the black dude acted like a dick when stopped by the cop. He may have even resisted, and was most likely intoxicated. He most probably was NOT killed because he was black.

It is a no-brainer that the black dude acted like a dick when stopped by the cop. He may have even resisted, and was most likely intoxicated. He most probably was NOT killed because he was black.

It is better to be a robot when approached by the police than being a dick or making any protestations. Sure thing, but it wasn't always that way.

Any "journalist" who starts a news story with the line "they stood over him and watched him die" should be fired for using cliches as a substitute for journalistic integrity. The liberal media has the deck stacked against republicans in any racially charged case and it's in the liberal media's interest to use inflammatory cliches to promote racial unrest as long as it tends to benefit democrat candidates no matter how many innocent people are caught in the crossfire.

Any "journalist" who starts a news story with the line "they stood over him and watched him die" should be fired for using cliches as a substitute for journalistic integrity. The liberal media has the deck stacked against republicans in any racially charged case and it's in the liberal media's interest to use inflammatory cliches to promote racial unrest as long as it tends to benefit democrat candidates no matter how many innocent people are caught in the crossfire.

People are becoming deaf to the same old headlines.

Uh oh.

What you said....

BTW...where's Bucky? He usually beats us to start these shooting threads.

In just read about it. I was between some titties for a while, priorities ya know?

Also....there's almost no details at all. We can make up our own version of events like libs do....but for now...nothing much to talk about.

:lol:

So you didn't read the story. It never ceases to amaze me how you guys love to revel in ignorance.

If you had, you'd know that "they stood over him and watched him die" was a quote from one of the witnesses.

Forum List

Back