There's Something About Mary Reviewed----Why Vulgarity Fails

I guess if you measure the decency and morality by how much profanity and sex there is in our movies, then we certainly would rank pretty low and Iran and Saudi Arabia would rank pretty close to number one. However, if you measure the morality of our nation based on how well it comes to the aid of our neighbors next door, across the county and across the oceans, the USA would rank pretty high. I for one, believe the latter is a far better guide to morality of a nation than the former.
If you measure decency by sex and profanity, the US is far better than Europe. In terms of generosity, America is the top country in the world, but we are also the richest. But being more moral than atheist Europe is a pretty low bar. Why not be as good as we can be in both departments?

We drifted off topic after the first dozen or so posts. Maybe it's time to shut this topic down.
It's fine to veer off the originial topic and let things evolve and branch as long as people keep it civil.

It's fine to veer off the originial topic and let things evolve and branch as long as people keep it civil.
I disagree. I think it's ok to drift off a bit but not to evolve into totally different discussions. Although we all seem to do it, I think the Board would work better if we did stay on topic.

I disagree. I think it's ok to drift off a bit but not to evolve into totally different discussions. Although we all seem to do it, I think the Board would work better if we did stay on topic.
In this case, the OP is about vulgarity in the movies in general, so we're right on topic.

In this case, the OP is about vulgarity in the movies in general, so we're right on topic.
Then the topic should have been Vulgarity in Movies and not a movie review. When a person goes to the Review Form and see a book or movie they expect to see a review and comments on that review. Keeping on topic simply makes it easier for people to find a subject they want to discuss as well as attracting people interesting in that subject.

I believe the Op should have some control of their topic; that is, the ability to close a topic when it goes off topic. Of course, this discussion is off topic and probably should be somewhere else.

Last edited:
Then the topic should have been Vulgarity in Movies and not a movie review. When a person goes to the Review Form and see a book or movie they expect to see a review and comments on that review. Keeping on topic simply makes it easier for people to find a subject they want to discuss as well as attracting people interesting in that subject.

I believe the Op should have some control of their topic; that is, the ability to close a topic when it goes off topic. Of course, this discussion is off topic and probably should be somewhere else.
It was a movie review about TSAM that was also about a larger topic of morality in movies. That was the OP, and that's where the topic remained. As author of the OP, I say we're fine.

Einhorn is Finkel. Finkel is Einhorn...Einhorn...is..a MAN!!
Funny in 1994. Funny today. But would never make it into a movie.

You're reading way too much into a giggle of a movie. It's entertainment.
It's not social awakening. It's not meant to be used as a religious wedge device..
"OH, those Hollywood Elite!!"

Point is, things change.
Movies represent the decline of society

not just American films, but music, tv advertising, pop culture and public school curriculum represent the success of liberal push toward hedonism

That's right. When conservatives boycott, it's not a threat, and we have more money. I hear when Roe v Wade is overturned, some corporations will refuse to do business in states that ban abortion. My response is go ahead and see what happens when millions of motivated conservatives boycott.
How'd that Disney boycott go?
How'd that Pepsi boycott go?
How'd that Coke boycott go?
How'd that NFL boycott go?

It seems that there is no room for humor in the church. No tolerance for art that the church doesn't deem appropriate, no opinions that differ from those of the religious arbiters of decency. How self important of them to see themselves as the morality police. Maybe they should monitor their own behavior and not always look elsewhere for someone to control. Hypocrisy, thy name is religion.

It seems that there is no room for humor in the church. No tolerance for art that the church doesn't deem appropriate, no opinions that differ from those of the religious arbiters of decency. How self important of them to see themselves as the morality police. Maybe they should monitor their own behavior and not always look elsewhere for someone to control. Hypocrisy, thy name is religion.
Devout Catholics are the most cheerful happy people you'll ever find.

Devout Catholics are the most cheerful happy people you'll ever find.
They're the most uptight, self righteous people I've ever met. Like you, Somebody who thinks they are the morality police. Sticks in the mud and sticks up their asses.

Forum List

Back