The Yellows

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
I like wildflowers, so that's what I usually notice.
The tansy, goldenrod and evening primroses are all blooming in the waste spaces, so Fall is just around the corner. But today I noticed a wildflower I'd never see before--also a yellow, with tiny flowers that goes to seed like a dandelion. It took a bit, but I finally identified it on line.
Wild lettuce! I love finding a new one. O.L. is happy this afternoon.

my favorite wildflower...is the red Indian paintbrush...
OMG! I love them, too. Not the dominant color, so they are super special when you find them. Are you out west? What we call red Indian paintbrush here is actually red hawkweed. The real Indian paintbrush doesn't grow in the Northeast. But I love them anyway.

OMG! I love them, too. Not the dominant color, so they are super special when you find them. Are you out west? What we call red Indian paintbrush here is actually red hawkweed. The real Indian paintbrush doesn't grow in the Northeast. But I love them anyway
Yes I am and we can still find them on the hillside...longest season I can remember...We love to go on wildflower hunts in the spring....

Coreopsis

coreopsis-moonbeam-tickseed-hblw851-cropped.jpg

OMG! I love them, too. Not the dominant color, so they are super special when you find them. Are you out west? What we call red Indian paintbrush here is actually red hawkweed. The real Indian paintbrush doesn't grow in the Northeast. But I love them anyway.

I got many a bee sting as a kid pulling the Corolla tube out of Indian Paintbrushes for the sweet nectar.
It was worth it.

I'd call that one second to the Texas Blue Bonnet.
But then I'm a bit biased.
WildflowerVu55.jpg

Here's a nice combo of both.
Blue%20Bonnets%20%26%20Indian%20Paintbrush-S.jpg
Your blue bonnets look something like our lupines, but bluer. They grow wild?

Yep.
Native to Texas and is the State Flower.
People drive for miles to see them in bloom. You see a crapload of pictures of people in their Easter best crouching in fields of blue.

WildflowerVu55.jpg

Yep.
People drive for miles to see them in bloom. You see a crapload of pictures of people in their Easter best crouching in fields of blue.
How tall are they?

WildflowerVu55.jpg

Yep.
How tall are they?

They vary depending on rain. Usually around six inches to knee high.
This'll give you an idea on average.
family-field-bluebonnets-1024x618.jpg

did you eat the lettuce?

The better question is did he toss the salad.

did you eat the lettuce?
Funny you should ask, because once I knew what it was, I looked at it again and said "in what way does this resemble lettuce?"
It was a scrawny, slender little weed about a foot tall, leaves to match, resembling no lettuce I've ever seen. Lobed like a dandelion leaf, but no basal leaves.

did you eat the lettuce?
Funny you should ask, because once I knew what it was, I looked at it again and said "in what way does this resemble lettuce?"
It was a scrawny, slender little weed about a foot tall, leaves to match, resembling no lettuce I've ever seen. Lobed like a dandelion leaf, but no basal leaves.
Thats the way i felt about lemon grass.
"this little skinny plant looks nothing like a lemon or its tree!!!
But it sure does give a little lemon taste to tea and water lol
tttttrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy it

CalthaPalustrisCloseUp.jpg

Marsh Marigolds
Those reminded me of trips to the mucky places, and the absolute most awesome of Mother Nature's flowers--the water lily. A pond of those blooming just takes my breath away every time.

did you eat the lettuce?
Thats the way i felt about lemon grass.
"this little skinny plant looks nothing like a lemon or its tree!!!
But it sure does give a little lemon taste to tea and water lol
tttttrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy it
That stuff is awesome.

Forum List

Back