The Yellows

dsc_5669-edit-small.jpg

01-WFLA-37_MG_6593-1100x600.jpg
Wow!
I saw a mass planting of daffodils like that once on the highway in ..St. Louis, I think. It's so beautiful, especially since when we left home at 5 am. that morning, there was two feet of snow on the ground.

I bet that was stunning. Yellow flowers are my favorite, very cheery and friendly. The yellow Louisiana Iris tops my list of native wildflowers. They grow like weeds.

Google Image Result for https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1725/7713/products/Fortune_Finder_Iris_Yellow_Pond_Megastore_Louisiaina_8.jpg?v=1527341470
Up here, the wild Iris is jet blue--blue flag, they call it.
View attachment 213249

We have a blue variety but it is not as vivid as yours. I am going to plant them around my oaks. Live Oaks' have roots above the surface as well as below, and you can't get a lawnmower around them to get the grass/weeds. It is common to plant flowers around them.

I want this

View attachment 213274

View attachment 213275
To look like this except with irises...a lot of them (5 feet deep to surround roots)

View attachment 213276

This one didn't turn out very pretty so I've got 4 more trees like that. Maybe I'll get it right lol.

It is impossible to have such an oak in the course of life.
I planted an oak from an acorn in 2002
Now it looks like this:

31454.jpg

Spruce, which is nearby, has grown since 2007.

I bet that was stunning. Yellow flowers are my favorite, very cheery and friendly. The yellow Louisiana Iris tops my list of native wildflowers. They grow like weeds.

Google Image Result for https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1725/7713/products/Fortune_Finder_Iris_Yellow_Pond_Megastore_Louisiaina_8.jpg?v=1527341470
View attachment 213249

We have a blue variety but it is not as vivid as yours. I am going to plant them around my oaks. Live Oaks' have roots above the surface as well as below, and you can't get a lawnmower around them to get the grass/weeds. It is common to plant flowers around them.

I want this

View attachment 213274

View attachment 213275
To look like this except with irises...a lot of them (5 feet deep to surround roots)

View attachment 213276

This one didn't turn out very pretty so I've got 4 more trees like that. Maybe I'll get it right lol.
I fell in LOVE with live oaks when I visited the south. I'm spiritually partial to trees, anyway, but man o man, those are Trees with a capital T.

Yes! There's nothing like sitting under a 200-year old Oak to ground you. If your ever back this way, give me a shout. I'll show you Oak Alley Plantation.

Google Image Result for http://fourniercustombuilding.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/oaks-spring-blog-march-21-2016.jpg

Google Image Result for https://www.neworleanspass.com/images_lib/431807352_Oak3.jpg

Theirs were planted in 1710!
Wow those are absolutely beautiful! Thank you.

Oak Alley is the best outdoor wedding venue. The photos are amazing.

Google Image Result for https://cdn.goodgallery.com/8fc21984-d103-4d4f-b3ef-f962407b5f55/r/0300/26h063vf/oak-alley-wedding.jpg

Google Image Result for https://www.oakalleyplantation.org/sites/oakalleyplantation.com/files/styles/flexslider_full/public/images/carmonwed190sm.jpg?itok=ZeDvaqr7

Wow!
I saw a mass planting of daffodils like that once on the highway in ..St. Louis, I think. It's so beautiful, especially since when we left home at 5 am. that morning, there was two feet of snow on the ground.

View attachment 213249

I want this

View attachment 213274

View attachment 213275

View attachment 213276

Now it looks like this:

View attachment 213402

She's growing well. Consider it your gift to future generations. A couple on my property are over 150. This is my eldest, and I say thank you to whomever (or whatever) planted her. This is my eldest, around 200.
20180828_120107.jpg

did you eat the lettuce?
Funny you should ask, because once I knew what it was, I looked at it again and said "in what way does this resemble lettuce?"
It was a scrawny, slender little weed about a foot tall, leaves to match, resembling no lettuce I've ever seen. Lobed like a dandelion leaf, but no basal leaves.

I have some lettuce in my garden that I've left to go to seed... and yes, it does have yellow flowers that turn to puffs, just like a dandelion

Yellow flowers in my dacha- country house.
I do not know what they are called, they are grown by my Mom

View attachment 213232

View attachment 213233

View attachment 213234

Top is lily, middle is marigold that is great in a vegetable garden because it keeps many of the bad bugs away and the bottom pic is calendula

My Мama, favorite flowers are in my log house in the Dacha
View attachment 213400

These look like peonies, beautiful flowers

Wow!

View attachment 213249

I want this

View attachment 213274

View attachment 213275

View attachment 213276

You should really get rid of those vines crawling up your Live Oak.

Wow!

View attachment 213249

I want this

View attachment 213274

View attachment 213275

View attachment 213276

Now it looks like this:

View attachment 213402

Only in Russia, guy.

This is my Oak (One of them): See the lightning strike?
3f9dba18-6bb7-4e81-ac53-7d7f6f950665
DSCF1704.JPG

Last edited:
Wow!

View attachment 213249

I want this

View attachment 213274

View attachment 213275

View attachment 213276

Now it looks like this:

View attachment 213402

Only in Russia, guy.

This is my Oak (One of them): See the lightning strike?
3f9dba18-6bb7-4e81-ac53-7d7f6f950665
View attachment 214253

Battle scars add character!

…………………Chamaenerion angustifolium………………….

mendenhall-glacier-mountains-and-fireweed-near-juneau-alaska-ak-mountains-ABXE92.jpg
Looks a lot like what we call fireweed.

It is fireweed... Chamaenerion angustifolium is the proper scientific Latin name. There are other names as well

Chamaenerion angustifolium - Wikipedia

Did you know it's actually edible??? I didn't until doing a search.....

Raw Edible Plants: Rosebay willowherb (Chamaenerion angustifolium)

Edible parts

The young shoots and young leaves can be used raw in a salad. The older leaves become tough and bitter. Cut the young plant down (at about 20-30cms) and it will sprout up again with plenty of side shoots, usually once or twice within the same season

The flower stalks can be eaten raw but make sure the flowers are still in bud. The pith of the red stems can be scraped out and eaten raw. You can remove it with a finger nail on the younger plants. You'll need a sharp knife for the older stems which are very tough. It is similar to cucumber and astringent in nature but there is not much of it. The leaves can be used as a tea substitute. Green tea made from rosebay willowherb leaves taste very similar to nettle tea. The leaves can also be made into a black tea by fermenting and drying. The root can be eaten raw but we found it to be bitter. The root is fairly shallow rooted so easy to dig out of the soil but will also break easily.

The older leaves, flower stalks with buds and root can be cooked by steaming or boiling. Boiling the root may reduce or remove the bitterness.

My infatuation with the Fireweed comes from short spell I spent in Alaska... My first introduction to the weed came from the Flophouse I was staying in... The Fireweed Hotel... 3 Story building with 10 rooms per floor sharing 1 communal toilet per floor...

Then on a excursion up into the Matanuska Valley I learned why they were called the Fireweed... Holy shit Batman that was almost 40 years ago...

My infatuation with the Fireweed comes from short spell I spent in Alaska... My first introduction to the weed came from the Flophouse I was staying in... The Fireweed Hotel... 3 Story building with 10 rooms per floor sharing 1 communal toilet per floor...

Then on a excursion up into the Matanuska Valley I learned why they were called the Fireweed... Holy shit Batman that was almost 40 years ago...
I had heard it is called that because it tends to grow in newly cleared areas like where there has been a wildfire. I've seen pictures of the "year after the fire" that was covered in fireweed. But we have stands of it here that have been growing for years and years, and there was no fire there. So I always wondered.

Forum List

Back