The west's great museums should return their looted treasures.

Objects safely maintained where many people can see them in security should be moved to insecure, obscure surroundings in order to remain unseen? Who benefits from that? The potter who created a piece two or more thousand years ago would be delighted to think it were on display in one of the world's centers. Whatever milieu he/she existed in has disappeared and would mean nothing to him/her.

• Banned
image.jpeg

I guess the Australians should giver their island back to the aborigines, and the Americans their continent back to the Indians too. Libs can start first by moving off the land.

Last edited:
Nothing should be returned, and no apologies made.

Look what the Taliban did to the antiquities they had access to.

So you'll hang on to those artifacts down in Jamestown?

I’m not an archeologist or treasure hunter. I do believe that we’ve turned a corner in recent decades on tomb robbery and site desecration; but to expect institutions to return artifacts they paid to acquire decades ago without compensation is just silly and unreasonable.

The Elgin Marbles which once adorned the capitols of the Parthanon is an interesting case which to this day is an issue between Greece and the UK. Lord Elgin bought the marbles from the Ottoman pasha of Athens, packed them up and sent them to London. In doing so, they were legally purchased, technically. Naturally, Greece contends that said pasha had no right to sell its heritage, certainly nothing so significant. Britain contends that the marbles would probably not be preserved if they had remained on the Acropolis, and of course their purchase was legitimate.

The new Acropolis Museum has allotted space to display the marbles when and if they are returned.

Elgin Marbles - Wikipedia

The Elgin Marbles which once adorned the capitols of the Parthanon is an interesting case which to this day is an issue between Greece and the UK. Lord Elgin bought the marbles from the Ottoman pasha of Athens, packed them up and sent them to London. In doing so, they were legally purchased, technically. Naturally, Greece contends that said pasha had no right to sell its heritage, certainly nothing so significant. Britain contends that the marbles would probably not be preserved if they had remained on the Acropolis, and of course their purchase was legitimate.

The new Acropolis Museum has allotted space to display the marbles when and if they are returned.

Elgin Marbles - Wikipedia

I am delighted

Forum List

Back