The VA "scandal" in context

As for funding, here is what I have posted in every thread I see on the same topic. Funding has increase for the last 10 years, and massively. I can't believe people just say BS without at least doing a google on the subject.

Fact check: Was Obama correct on VA funding increases?

Funding was as follows:

2009:$97.7 billion;

2010:$127.2 billion;

2011: $125.5 billion;

2012: $126.8 billion;

2013: $139.1 billion;

2014: $153.8 billion;

2015: $163.9 billion.

For once Obama was right, I think. This whole VA problem, in my opinion, is being blown out of proportion but if there is fault to be found it is clearly with the administration.

BOTTOM LINE: Obama was unclear about what he considers the "last" five years during which the country has made progress in VA funding. He may have meant 2009 through 2014, which would represent a $56.1billion increase,or 2010 through 2015, which would represent a $36.7billion bump, according to the VA's Fast Facts.

THE FINDING: Four stars: true.

Despite the uncertainty of whether Obama was referring to the five-year period ending in fiscal 2014 or fiscal 2015, he was right on both counts.

The VA's funding has risen by tens of billions of dollars, and it has reached record or historic levels.

I just started linking, and get some common sense.

that is just not true, you have been shown that funding has increased each year at record rate, at least according to statistics and Obama. You must know more then he does, everyone else seems to.
You do remember those little wars we've been fighting right, like the longest one in our entire history? I don't care that the budget increased, it hasn't been enough for decades.

How do you know that?

BTW folks, for those who never served, it is not exactly news that service men and women like to bitch.

"Vet Groups Say VA Budget Underfunds Construction

Military.com Mar 05, 2014 | by Bryant Jordan

Veterans groups say the proposed 2015 Department of Veterans Affairs budget fails to address construction and maintenance needs at VA facilities across the country.

A statement issued on Tuesday jointly by authors of the Independent Budget -- a shadow VA budget developed by veterans groups based on what they believe the agency needs -- said proposed 2015 increases in health care and benefits services are appreciated.

"[But] we have concerns that the serious lack of commitment to infrastructure funding to support the system will undermine the VA's ability to deliver those services," the statement said. "Of great concern to the veterans groups is the serious underfunding of VA construction accounts."

Released early last month, the Independent Budget, authored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, AMVETS, Disabled American Veterans and Paralyzed Veterans of America, said the VA manages and maintains more than 5,600 buildings and almost 34,000 acres of land with a facilities replacement value of approximately $45 billion.

While the VA has addressed a number of critical infrastructure gaps, more than 3,900 gaps remain that will cost between $54 and $66 billion to close, including $10 billion in activation costs, the group said.

The VA proposes to spend about $1.2 billion on construction projects next year, which is about $2.75 billion less than what the Independent Budget recommends.

Those same concerns are being voiced by The American Legion."
Vet Groups Say VA Budget Underfunds Construction | Military.com

Not relevant. The problems are with existing VA Hospitals. The care sucks. Building more facilities with shitty care solves nothing. There is a core quality of care issue at the VA.

It's not the healthcare that the vets have problems with. Over 90 percent of the vets who receive care at the VA say it's pretty decent.

The problem is with the bureaucracy that you have to go through to get that care, with waiting times to be seen not a the 2 week point like they are supposed to be, but anywhere from 2 to 6 MONTHS to wait to see the doctor.

When you finally do see him, the care is pretty good.

And yes.......................I have my healthcare with the VA since I am retired Navy.

He's trying to, but the funding has to come from Congress, and the GOP isn't going to do anything that may result in making PBO look good.

Lots of Republicans say they support the troops, but this is yet another example of Congress and the rabid right using political rhetoric to block yet something else Obama would like to fix.
Yeah, that's what we've been hearing for 6 years....."He's trying to, but.....". Maybe he should have used some of that money he's pissed away on failing solar energy companies or welfare for illegals.

What about the 24 BILLION that the GOP cost the nation when they shut down the government?

The Costs of the Government Shutdown - ABC News

The 16-day government shutdown is over, but the country has taken at least a $24 billion hit along the way.

The financial ratings agency Standard & Poor’s said Wednesday the shutdown “to date has taken $24 billion out of the economy,” equaling $1.5 billion dollars a day and “shaved at least 0.6 percent off annualized fourth-quarter 2013 GDP growth.”

These estimates are for the overall economy, taking into account not just federal wages and productivity, but all the ripple effects and costs as well.
I noticed the illegals didn't lose any of their welfare during the shutdown. Any more red herrings you would like to throw out there?

"Vet Groups Say VA Budget Underfunds Construction

Military.com Mar 05, 2014 | by Bryant Jordan

Veterans groups say the proposed 2015 Department of Veterans Affairs budget fails to address construction and maintenance needs at VA facilities across the country.

A statement issued on Tuesday jointly by authors of the Independent Budget -- a shadow VA budget developed by veterans groups based on what they believe the agency needs -- said proposed 2015 increases in health care and benefits services are appreciated.

"[But] we have concerns that the serious lack of commitment to infrastructure funding to support the system will undermine the VA's ability to deliver those services," the statement said. "Of great concern to the veterans groups is the serious underfunding of VA construction accounts."

Released early last month, the Independent Budget, authored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, AMVETS, Disabled American Veterans and Paralyzed Veterans of America, said the VA manages and maintains more than 5,600 buildings and almost 34,000 acres of land with a facilities replacement value of approximately $45 billion.

While the VA has addressed a number of critical infrastructure gaps, more than 3,900 gaps remain that will cost between $54 and $66 billion to close, including $10 billion in activation costs, the group said.

The VA proposes to spend about $1.2 billion on construction projects next year, which is about $2.75 billion less than what the Independent Budget recommends.

Those same concerns are being voiced by The American Legion."
Vet Groups Say VA Budget Underfunds Construction | Military.com

Not relevant. The problems are with existing VA Hospitals. The care sucks. Building more facilities with shitty care solves nothing. There is a core quality of care issue at the VA.

It's not the healthcare that the vets have problems with. Over 90 percent of the vets who receive care at the VA say it's pretty decent.

The problem is with the bureaucracy that you have to go through to get that care, with waiting times to be seen not a the 2 week point like they are supposed to be, but anywhere from 2 to 6 MONTHS to wait to see the doctor.

When you finally do see him, the care is pretty good.

And yes.......................I have my healthcare with the VA since I am retired Navy.

Two weeks would be damn quick to see my doctor on a scheduled appointment. He might fit me in if I were sick but for routine stuff I make appointments well in advance. And that is going to be the heritage of Obamacare. You may actually be lucky in the sense that Obamacare isn't going to throw a whole lot of people on the VA.

As for funding, here is what I have posted in every thread I see on the same topic. Funding has increase for the last 10 years, and massively. I can't believe people just say BS without at least doing a google on the subject.

Funding was as follows:

For once Obama was right, I think. This whole VA problem, in my opinion, is being blown out of proportion but if there is fault to be found it is clearly with the administration.

BOTTOM LINE: Obama was unclear about what he considers the "last" five years during which the country has made progress in VA funding. He may have meant 2009 through 2014, which would represent a $56.1billion increase,or 2010 through 2015, which would represent a $36.7billion bump, according to the VA's Fast Facts.

Despite the uncertainty of whether Obama was referring to the five-year period ending in fiscal 2014 or fiscal 2015, he was right on both counts.

The VA's funding has risen by tens of billions of dollars, and it has reached record or historic levels.

it just goes to show ya that Big Government can't run anything right.....in the free market you provide good service or die...all Government does is create big money pits....

Funding was as follows:

it just goes to show ya that Big Government can't run anything right.....in the free market you provide good service or die...all Government does is create big money pits....

As with education the liberals will tell you, all we need to do to fix the VA or anything else is spend more money, someone else's money preferably.

Funding was as follows:

so Freewill what is your solution?

Funding was as follows:

sure thats the issue....

Funding was as follows:

164 billion? Peanuts.

" President Barack Obama’s budget proposal for fiscal year 2015, which was unveiled Tuesday, includes $163.9 billion for the Department of Veterans Affairs — a $10.1 billion increase over current funding levels, officials said.

The budget features $59.1 billion for medical care, approximately $1.6 billion to prevent or reduce veterans’ homelessness and $312 million for burgeoning technologies that officials hope will address the claims backlog and help them meet 2015 elimination goals, according to a VA statement."
http://www.stripes.com/news/va-budget-to-get-10-1-billion-increase-under-white-house-plan-1.271196

Last edited:
that is just not true, you have been shown that funding has increased each year at record rate, at least according to statistics and Obama. You must know more then he does, everyone else seems to.
You do remember those little wars we've been fighting right, like the longest one in our entire history? I don't care that the budget increased, it hasn't been enough for decades.

How do you know that?

Because it has been found to be true, time and again.

Funding was as follows:

Find those responsible and make then accountable.

Funding was as follows:

So plasmaballs what is your solution?

Funding was as follows:

sure thats the issue....

Big Government will never run things as good as you libs claim it will...

How do you know that?

Because it has been found to be true, time and again.

I can't decide which logic fallacy you just posted, appeal to authority or just straight BS.

Neither.

"So why has President Obama failed to fix the backlog of veterans' disability claims after five years in office? More than 300,000 claims to the VA have been pending for 125 days or more, a time stamp that puts them in the agency's official definition of "backlogged."

And why did a long line of Obama's predecessors—Republican and Democratic alike—end their own tenures without fixing the problem?

In short, because fixing the VA backlog isn't just a question of putting the proper resources into an overwhelmed agency. Solving it would require not only untangling a Gordian knot of dysfunctional bureaucracy surrounding the VA claims system and decades of neglect, it would also mean overcoming a perfect storm of factors in the past few years that has made the problem much, much worse."
Obama Has Every Reason to Fix the VA. Why Hasn't He? - NationalJournal.com

Funding was as follows:

So plasmaballs what is your solution?

i asked first free....Ill answer you after..

"Dr. Sam Foote, the first whistleblower to come forward about the secret paper lists, said the hospital is understaffed and underfunded.

“The main problem in Phoenix is there’s a horrendous mismatch between demand for care and ability to provide it,” Foote said in an interview with the Washington Free Beacon.

Foote said that when Helman became the director of the Phoenix VA in 2013, the hospital had roughly 7,000 patients on wait lists."
Phoenix VA hospital destroying evidence, says whistleblower - Washington Times

Forum List

Back