The Supposed Virgin Birth

32. Isaiah tells of the mystery of our faith and hope:4478“Behold a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Emmanuel.” I know that the Jews are accustomed to meet us with the objection that in Hebrew the word Almah does not mean a virgin, but a young woman. And, to speak truth, a virgin is properly called Bethulah, but a young woman, or a girl, is not Almah, but Naarah!4479What then is the meaning of Almah? A hidden virgin, that is, not merely virgin, but a virgin and something more, because not every virgin is hidden, shut off from the occasional sight of men.
NPNF2-06. Jerome The Principal Works of St. Jerome - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

That's St. Jerome confessing that he knows it wasn't a virgin birth. He knows that his translation is wrong but carries on. Otherwise, they can't use Isaiah 7:14.

Last edited:
Satan isn't the devil you ignorant girl. Satan's first mention is in Tanach, as an angel of God's. Hell's first mention is in the New Testament. There is zero mention of hell or anything remotely akin to hell in Judaism, and certainly no indication Satan rules hell until Christianity came along and perverted a Jewish text.

...One of the things I have against Christianity referencing another thread. :)

The Hebrew says what it says. Therefore you can look at it as Jesus defined sheol as hell or the Jews redefined it as the "nether-world".

Yes, and the netherworld is the realm of the dead, a state of conscious existence marked by confusion, the absence of intelligent life, and a complete detachment from reality that many devout believers here demonstrate perfectly.

And in Judaism a choice between life and death was given. The long list of maledictions promised by Moses for those who do not comply with the laws demands sure sounds like hell to me.

Forum List

Back