The Stages of Moral Development

ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
Houston
Only a fool would argue that there are no moral developmental stages as we go through life.

Stage one (obedience and punishment driven), individuals focus on the direct consequences of their actions on themselves

Stage two (self-interest driven) expresses the "what's in it for me" position, in which right behavior is defined by whatever the individual believes to be in their best interest but understood in a narrow way which does not consider one's reputation or relationships to groups of people

Stage three (good intentions as determined by social consensus), the self enters society by conforming to social standards. Individuals are receptive to approval or disapproval from others as it reflects society's views.

Stage four (authority and social order obedience driven), it is important to obey laws, dictums, and social conventions because of their importance in maintaining a functioning society.

Stage five (social contract driven), the world is viewed as holding different opinions, rights, and values.

Stage six (universal ethical principles driven), moral reasoning is based on abstract reasoning using universal ethical principles.

Lawrence Kohlberg's stages of moral development - Wikipedia

The process of moral development is principally concerned with justice, and that the pursuit of justice continues throughout the individual's lifetime.

I don't hang around showers of other men.

But if that's what you do, who am I to judge?
I believe you are quite familiar with judging. Besides, other than you, who said anything about showers? Was that a Freudian slip?

Forum List

Back