The Sordid Underbelly Of Christmas Past

View attachment 579690

When English Puritans outlawed Christmas in 1647, it was not without good reason. When American Puritans, in turn, outlawed Christmas in Massachusetts between 1659 and 1681, it too was not without good reason.

It was not until the 4th century that the Church of Rome recognised December 25 as the date to celebrate the birth of the messiah. And it did so knowing well that there were no biblical or historical reasons to place Christ’s birth on that day.

There is some evidence the Romans worshipped Sol Invictus, their sun god, on December 25. But what the Romans really celebrated during the month of December was Saturnalia, an end of harvest festival that concluded with the winter solstice. As historian Stephen Nissenbaum pointed out in his acclaimed The Battle for Christmas, the early Church entered into a compromise: in exchange for widespread celebration of the birth of Christ, it permitted the traditions of Saturnalia to continue in the name of the saviour.

Happy Holidays

You just had to do this, didn't you!

I dont know what day in the Roman calender Jesus was born on

but if wholesome Christianity has replaced a pagan ritual of drunken debauchery that sounds like a good thing to me
Wholesome Christian Christmases are only fun for children and church ladies that like to see people suffer. The kind of gathering that will make your married to Jesus maiden aunt happy is over way early. Afterward normal people go elsewhere and crack a bottle.

It sounds like you dont need an excuse to get drunk and wallow in the mud
I rarely drink but alcohol makes any social gathering way better. Trying to have a sober good time requires work and planning and it's still a contradiction in terms. Regular people just poor booze on whatever they are doing anyway and call it fun.

View attachment 579690

When English Puritans outlawed Christmas in 1647, it was not without good reason. When American Puritans, in turn, outlawed Christmas in Massachusetts between 1659 and 1681, it too was not without good reason.

It was not until the 4th century that the Church of Rome recognised December 25 as the date to celebrate the birth of the messiah. And it did so knowing well that there were no biblical or historical reasons to place Christ’s birth on that day.

There is some evidence the Romans worshipped Sol Invictus, their sun god, on December 25. But what the Romans really celebrated during the month of December was Saturnalia, an end of harvest festival that concluded with the winter solstice. As historian Stephen Nissenbaum pointed out in his acclaimed The Battle for Christmas, the early Church entered into a compromise: in exchange for widespread celebration of the birth of Christ, it permitted the traditions of Saturnalia to continue in the name of the saviour.

Happy Holidays

What is it with you people always trying to disparage every single little tradition America either created or takes part in? It's like you aren't happy unless you try to ruin everything that others take joy in.

And regardless of it's past it has absolutely nothing in any way, shape, or form to today.

It's as stupid as trying to ruin cotton clothing for people by pointing out hundreds of years ago cotton was picked by slaves. As if the current cotton industry still operates exactly the same way right as it did way back when.

I’ve never experienced anyone having a problem with me saying Merry Christmas. Is that even a thing?

Forum List

Back