The Second Amendment Was A Failure From The Start, And Should Have Been Repealed 200 Years Ago

Does the releasing of felons early stop under a Republican President? Is there a link giving this data, seems interesting.
I doubt it.

Republicans are not likely desirous to increase taxes for new prisons.

Of course, it's not like we don't already have a lot of people locked up in a whole lot of cells. Isn't our incarceration rate one of the highest in the world? Makes you wonder, with all these guns in the public domain, all of the supposed heroic gunmen among us, why is our crime rate so high?

There’s maybe 3 cases in 50 years of a mass murderer NOT being stopped because he was confronted by a good guy with a gun.
No offense, but I can't respond to what you wrote because I can't put a precise meaning on what you are saying.

Can you re-word it?

I don't believe I've ever contested the natural right to which you refer. I simply reject that it is absolute.

Are you sure you've never contested it?

When I said the following.....

It exists independent of a militia. Independent of a constitution.

You said.....

Well, there we have it, what I bolded big.

Guns are your religion and we should take your instructions from God on faith. What a crock.

Makes me wonder, when guns were banned in Chicago, why did we have so much gun crime?
Because there were already too many guns in circulation?

Gun violence is the domain of criminals sprinkled with a little friendly fire. I'm not sure where to fit the suicides. Regardless, it is the insane proliferation of guns in this country along with the failure to properly regulate sale and security that has assisted criminals in well-arming themselves.

Are you sure you've never contested it?

When I said the following.....

It exists independent of a militia. Independent of a constitution.

You said.....

Well, there we have it, what I bolded big.

Guns are your religion and we should take your instructions from God on faith. What a crock.
I can't respond without some context.
Point me to where this was written, and I'll promise an honest answer.

The OP is correct in pointing out that contemporary interpretations of the 2nd Amendment as guaranteeing an almost absolute individual right to buy and bear modern firearms are in fact really extremely modern and problematic interpretations.

It is true that the 2nd Amendment was the special product of a special time in early American society. It was specifically premised on the assumption that “well regulated militia” — something now mostly replaced by police forces and the military and no longer existing independently — were absolutely necessary.

The historical development of our country was rather unique in this respect. Alternative interpretations of the 2nd are possible, and “originalist” interpretations of the 2nd Amendment’s meaning are certainly possible. Furthermore, the “right of the people” is not the same as “the right of every individual.” The history and scope of “incorporation” of the 2nd amendment is another area that may be open to challenge in the states, as traditionally wide discretion in regulating rights to carry were historically allowed.

The the right “to bear arms” does not now apply to bazookas and Stinger missiles. They are extremely regulated and “afringed” by law. My point is that different Supreme Court rulings (especially if society itself were less divided on this issue) might accept very different interpretations of the 2nd Amendment. Another interpretation might even limit civilians bearing arms to slow single shot or bolt action weapons.

I am not pushing any specific alternative interpretation; I could live with any if I thought our nation was more mature and less likely to tear itself apart over this and similar political “wedge” issues. I think the 2nd could be usefully amended so that at least registration and “regulation” were specifically encouraged. But for many reasons this will obviously not happen in the foreseeable future.

Meanwhile, we are stuck with a 2nd Amendment wording which was admirable in its original idealism, moving and under certain conditions potentially useful, is also clearly confusing … because it is the product of a very different time:

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
Well said, particularly your summation which I bolded in red.

I can't respond without some context.
Point me to where this was written, and I'll promise an honest answer.

Okay, I'll confess I butchered that one.

I was too in a hurry to condemn the faith element.

Stop being a commie gun banner. Come get us.
In good time, your sentiments will become just another turd amongst the rubble of backwards thinking.

Do you remember when the world was flat, when women were raped on pretense of finding the devil's mark, when libertarian nonsense permitted child labor, when women couldn't vote, when black people were chattels and beat like mules?

Btw, I don't ban guns, I simply propose that we handle them with respect.

As for your childish tough guy act, as one who did his time in hell, I'm not impressed. Quit showing your ass.

In good time, your sentiments will become just another turd amongst the rubble of backwards thinking.

Do you remember when the world was flat, when women were raped on pretense of finding the devil's mark, when libertarian nonsense permitted child labor, when women couldn't vote, when black people were chattels and beat like mules?

As for your childish tough guy act, as one who did his time in hell, I'm not impressed. Quit showing your ass.
I’m so old I remember when women were allowed to actually win in womens sporting events.

Commie babbling gun banner claims the world is flat and wants to rape women with birth marks.

Unfortunately, the founding fathers were very naive with their Right to Bear Arms intentions. They didn't bank on the the lack of brain power of future generations. What a cluster fuck the 2'nd Amendment has turned out to be. It's like the Right Wing want banned abortions to have more kids in schools to gun down.

Wrong....if the Founders knew that in a 6 year period, from 1939-1945 that you Europeans would slaughter 15 million innocent men, women and children...not collateral from combat actions, but people simply rounded up for murder......they would have written the 2nd Amendment as a mandate....that all homes have an arms room filled with rifles.......

The population of the 13 colonies was about 2.5 million....

You guys murdered 15 million in 6 years, and it only stopped because Americans with guns went over to Europe and stopped it....

We average about 10,000 gun murders a year......the majority of those murdered are not innocent human beings, but criminals engaged in the criminal lifestyle.......of the rest, the majority of those victims are family, and friends of criminals, hit in the crossfire of the criminals...

Over 83 years...from 1939 to 2022.....that would be 830,000 people murdered with guns....the majority of them criminals...

83 years, 830,000

You guys murdered 15 million....in 6 years....

The founders would have demanded guns in everyhome......

Forum List

Back