The Scars of Christ

Yes, and I should have taken the 'scars' literally.
You're not answering my questions and so I'll leave it at that unless you do.

The reason why I was curious is because his body would have been made whole or not according to his preference, and so would be of little concern to him personally.

But that's getting a little too far into the story for an atheist and so I don't seen any reason to pursue the issue any further. But thanks for taking what I've said seriously.
It wouldnt necessarily be according to his preference. God resurrected him, right? If it was to anyone's preference, it would be to God's preference, assuming had had one, or even the ability to control the resurrection that completely.

I believe the Gospel accounts reported wounds. I would also keep in mind this was before his ascension to the Father.
Yeah, that's a factor too. He may have just allowed the wounds to be displayed temporarily for some reason.

I have to assume that all 4 stories are consistent on that?

It wouldnt necessarily be according to his preference. God resurrected him, right? If it was to anyone's preference, it would be to God's preference, assuming had had one, or even the ability to control the resurrection that absolutely.
Well, technically no. He was the god after his death if I understand correctly. Or was there any particular point in time when he became the god, that is consistent with all 4 stories?

For the purpose of this discussion, I won't be accepting any suppositions that differ with the 4 stories.

I'm trying to be respectful here, but that made me legitimately lol. :laugh:
I don't understand what point you're making, and that's because I'm not aware of all the contradictory points in the 4 stories.
I only assume that most informed Christians understand there are differences to perhaps be reconciled.

It wouldnt necessarily be according to his preference. God resurrected him, right? If it was to anyone's preference, it would be to God's preference, assuming had had one, or even the ability to control the resurrection that completely.
Him being the god from that point forward, wouldn't it be likely he would choose the scars or not?
At what point would he have become the god?
For all I know, he always was the god? He didn't have any other father.

I don't understand what point you're making, and that's because I'm not aware of all the contradictory points in the 4 stories.
I only assume that most informed Christians understand there are differences to perhaps be reconciled.
I dont have a point. Im just here to answer the question in the OP, going under the assumption that it actually happened. An atheist can impart a different perspective that is even useful for religious people, if that atheist is open to theorizing.

I have to assume that all 4 stories are consistent on that?
Luke and John only mention this. Interesting that Luke's account is that he showed the Apostles his hands and his feet. John's account is that Jesus showed them his hands and his side. Only in John's Gospel is there the account of one Apostle closely examining the wounds--again hands and side.

I dont have a point. Im just here to answer the question in the OP, going under the assumption that it actually happened. An atheist can impart a different perspective that is even useful for religious people.
If you or anyone else is interested in talking about the contradictions in the 4 stories, I'll be interested in hearing it.

Luke and John only mention this. Interesting that Luke's account is that he showed the Apostles his hands and his feet. John's account is that Jesus showed them his hands and his side. Only in John's Gospel is there the account of one Apostle closely examining the wounds--again hands and side.
It not being mentioned by the other two, and the differences in the Luke and John stories pretty much answer my question.
And yes, I would agree that Christians would say that he always was the god. Thereby choosing to go with the scars or not.
And either way, not in my opinion saying that he wasn't make whole.

Have you a specific contradiction that interests you?
I've actually answered that question already when I said that I'm not aware of all the contradictions.
If you're interested in listing them all then go ahead. I suppose I could do a search and find the answers myself if I became interested enough. But for now I'll leave it to you.

I've actually answered that question already when I said that I'm not aware of all the contradictions.
If you're interested in listing them all then go ahead. I suppose I could do a search and find the answers myself if I became interested enough. But for now I'll leave it to you.
I teach English. Anyone who has ever asked a class to write an account on the same event knows that perspectives vary. I understand lawyers and law enforcement encounter that same phenomenon--and therefore find it suspicious when accounts match exactly. As an English teacher, it simply tells me what is most important to each individual student--and which student(s) weren't paying much attention.

I teach English. Anyone who has ever asked a class to write an account on the same event knows that perspectives vary. I understand lawyers and law enforcement encounter that same phenomenon--and therefore find it suspicious when accounts match exactly. As an English teacher, it simply tells me what is most important to each individual student--and which student(s) weren't paying much attention.
I can't and won't buy into what I see as an attempt to dodge the facts on the 4 stories containing real contradictions that can't be reconciled. But I didn't come here to argue an atheist POV.

As opposed to some students not paying much attention, you're faced with some rational people paying too much attention.
However, I do get your point on how accounts differ on minor details. You're just not very convincing on what you're attempting to make into minor details.

The catholic church link does as good a job as is possible, but fails miserably in my opinion.

You're just not very convincing on what you're attempting to make into minor details.
Ah, but I am not trying, and have no wish, to be convincing. Differences matter naught to me. The accounts stand on their own merits. Another thing to keep in mind is that The Gospels were written over a span of thirty years, in different countries.

Ah, but I am not trying, and have no wish, to be convincing. Differences matter naught to me. The accounts stand on their own merits. Another thing to keep in mind is that The Gospels were written over a span of thirty years, in different countries.
Well no, they weren't written over a period of 30 years in different countries.

You can start it at about the 4 minute mark.

What am I not answering?
Never mind, there's already been an attempt to answer the contradictions in the gospels See my link to Dillihunty.
Otherwise, I don't think the question of the scars is of any importance to the bigger picture. If you care to mae use of your thread to discus the gospel contradictions then you can bealbour the topic further.

Forum List

Back