The religious right and social conservatism are going to destroy the Republicans.

How about this for a plan moving forward.

When religious people make a political statement or demand, you fight that demand, based on the merits on their argument, or lack there of, without resorting to marginalizing them, based on their being a member of a group.

What could be wrong with that?

All I need to do is sit back and watch your views become irrelevant. Nobody is silencing you. People just don't believe in it as much anymore. That trend won't stop. Belief in fairy tales will not be common in the distant future of humanity.

If that was true, you would not be here, starting threads discussing the need to get religious people OUT of politics.

What you are doing is actively injecting anti-religious bigotry into the system in order to marginalize and thus silence people who oppose you.

YOu are working to spread religious bigotry.
getting religion out of government is not the same as getting religious people out of government.

The thing is that the special tax status of religions violates the first amendment because churches are granted this special treatment by law.

But this special treatment comes with strings attached while other not for profit entities are not barred from an active role in politics or elections , religious organizations are.

So the solution is simple if churches want to be active in politics they can give up their special tax treatment.

getting religion out of government is not the same as getting religious people out of government.

The thing is that the special tax status of religions violates the first amendment because churches are granted this special treatment by law.

But this special treatment comes with strings attached while other not for profit entities are not barred from an active role in politics or elections , religious organizations are.

So the solution is simple if churches want to be active in politics they can give up their special tax treatment.

In the decades to come religion in first world politics won't even be a worry. This whole fuss and their angry chaos is happening because their ideology is dying. They're not really a threat anymore. Their downward trend will continue. They will never reattain the power they once had. They will fade away into history books that speak of humanity's primitive past.

Where would you suggest that Republicans look to find new voters to replace the Christians?

Once they abandon social conservatism a whole bunch of new people would be willing to vote for them, myself included. Either that or the Republican party will die and a new conservative party will replace them.

If that was true, you would not be here, starting threads discussing the need to get religious people OUT of politics.

I just think Republicans should stop pandering to them. They can go start their own party if they want to. I'm not trying to take their voice away. They're becoming irrelevant. Their views are losers at the polls.

Are you afraid of dealing with their ideas based on their actual merits?

In the decades to come religion in first world politics won't even be a worry. This whole fuss and their angry chaos is happening because their ideology is dying. They're not really a threat anymore. Their downward trend will continue.

I agree that eventually religion will decline to a point but I don't think it will disappear.

But it will and should become less of an issue in politics but I still have no hope that in the future our government will be guided by reason.

No. Feel free to scream your ideas from the rooftops. Going in circles with you isn't necessary. You're losing.

When you actively spread the idea that it is wrong for one group of people to engage in normal politics, and encourage the idea that they should not have a voice,

you are trying to take it from them.

The Republicans and conservatism do not owe them loyalty when their views don't win. They can make their own party to participate in the political process. The Republicans distancing themselves from losing opinions is not religious people having their voice taken away. It's just part of the process of becoming irrelevant.

I'm not threatened by your views. I don't want to take away your voice. I just think social conservatism is hurting the Republicans.

I said nothing about anyone owing them loyalty. You made that up.

You clearly do want to take away the voice of the religious right.

As technology advances, people in 1st world countries are becoming more miserable, not less. do you honestly believe America as a whole is happier today than it was 20 years ago?

I think we're in transition as a society. Change hurts. It will get better though.
Nah it was worse in the 60's and early 70's. We know that Religion and God is painful for the Marxist atheists but we will pray for you.

The U.S is less and less religious every generation and as time goes on religious traditionalism becomes more and more of a loser at the polls. The party either needs a tune up or it needs to disband and reform as a party more focused on true economic conservatism. I might actually vote for Republicans from time to time if they ditched the bigoted, science denying religious nuts that constantly make the party look toxic and ignorant.

Here's the problem. In many, if not most, states, religious conservatives control the primary process. What that means is that in these states, nobody but a religious conservative (or at least, a professed religious conservative) has a prayer of getting the nomination. No pun intended

How about this for a plan moving forward.

When religious people make a political statement or demand, you fight that demand, based on the merits on their argument, or lack there of, without resorting to marginalizing them, based on their being a member of a group.

What could be wrong with that?

All I need to do is sit back and watch your views become irrelevant. Nobody is silencing you. People just don't believe in it as much anymore. That trend won't stop. Belief in fairy tales will not be common in the distant future of humanity.

What you are doing is actively injecting anti-religious bigotry into the system in order to marginalize and thus silence people who oppose you.

YOu are working to spread religious bigotry.

Get back to me on that, when the dems are willing to go after black churches for engaging in politics.

Until then, I will just point out that the op wants both religion AND religious people out of government.

Keep digging, you'll get there. I have faith in you.

Which is the world's fastest growing major religion ...

Islam is growing faster than any other religion, according to a study by the Pew Research Center. In fact, most of the world's major religious groups are expected to rise in absolute numbers by 2050, the research finds, with Islam set to overtake Christianity and become the world’s dominant religion by 2070.

Those not affiliated with any religion, such as atheists and agnostics, will make up a declining share of the world’s total population by 2050, though their numbers are increasing in more secular nations such as France and the United States.
The increase in followers of major religions will be, in large part, due to fertility rates and the size of youth populations in less secular nations.

Until then, I will just point out that the op wants both religion AND religious people out of government.

Religious views are in decline. What I want is irrelevant. We're talking about what's happening. You will be abandoned by the most relevant parties when your views become too damaging to their ability to win.

Keep digging, you'll get there. I have faith in you.

Which is the world's fastest growing major religion ...

Islam is growing faster than any other religion, according to a study by the Pew Research Center. In fact, most of the world's major religious groups are expected to rise in absolute numbers by 2050, the research finds, with Islam set to overtake Christianity and become the world’s dominant religion by 2070.

Those not affiliated with any religion, such as atheists and agnostics, will make up a declining share of the world’s total population by 2050, though their numbers are increasing in more secular nations such as France and the United States.
The increase in followers of major religions will be, in large part, due to fertility rates and the size of youth populations in less secular nations.

I'm not talking about the world. I'm talking about the United States. As the rest of the world modernizes they will go through the same trends. It will happen first here and in Europe, then the rest of the world will follow. Your fairy tales will become nothing but part of history.

No. Feel free to scream your ideas from the rooftops. Going in circles with you isn't necessary. You're losing.

If you are not afraid, then what is the problem?

Some religious guy thinks that gay marriage is a bad idea, challenge him to defend his position. There is no reason to bring his religious beliefs into the discussion.

As technology advances, people in 1st world countries are becoming more miserable, not less. do you honestly believe America as a whole is happier today than it was 20 years ago?

I think we're in transition as a society. Change hurts. It will get better though.
Nah it was worse in the 60's and early 70's. We know that Religion and God is painful for the Marxist atheists but we will pray for you.

IF "for you" you mean pray they get what they deserve, then I am on board....

Forum List

Back