The real 'third rail' of politics.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Social Security has been the traditional third rail, but any controversial policy proposal can also be. I believe the enduring third rail, one that is never mentioned, is criticizing the electorate of either or both parties. The people are to be held blameless, even though most of the problems government attempts to deal with stem from an irresponsible populace. This will never be addressed by any sane politician who seeks, or wants to maintain, an office in the government.

Leadership requires 'followship' if we are to solve our problems and move ahead. Sadly, we are a stubborn, thoughtless, visionless people who think only of ourselves.

we are a stubborn, thoughtless, visionless people who think only of ourselves.

Thinking about ourselves IS a vision. A vision of a world built by strong-willed individualists that benefits even the weak-willed.

Government has already spent every last dime of my SS contributions...pretty sure I'm going to get screwed.
The only way you won’t get to collect SS is if Republican lawmakers decide not to let you

Government has already spent every last dime of my SS contributions...pretty sure I'm going to get screwed.
The government borrows from the SS Trust Fund and repays it with interest. SS Trust Fund is probably high on the chart of debt repayment hierarchy as well.

Last edited:
“The right of nature... is the liberty each man hath to use his own power, as he will himself, for the preservation of his own nature; that is to say, of his own life.”

Thomas Hobbes

The only way you won’t get to collect SS is if Republican lawmakers decide not to let you
Or if you have defaulted on student loan debt (many seniors have and are suffering reduced SS payments to make up for it).

“The right of nature... is the liberty each man hath to use his own power, as he will himself, for the preservation of his own nature; that is to say, of his own life.”

Thomas Hobbes
And with such liberty, destroys himself. :(

Last edited:
Social Security has been the traditional third rail, but any controversial policy proposal can also be. I believe the enduring third rail, one that is never mentioned, is criticizing the electorate of either or both parties. The people are to be held blameless, even though most of the problems government attempts to deal with stem from an irresponsible populace. This will never be addressed by any sane politician who seeks, or wants to maintain, an office in the government.

Leadership requires 'followship' if we are to solve our problems and move ahead. Sadly, we are a stubborn, thoughtless, visionless people who think only of ourselves.
And here is one of the main drawbacks of democracy... that it is impossible to tell the majority they are wrong.

And here is one of the main drawbacks of democracy... that it is impossible to tell the majority they are wrong.
True, the majority (the crowd) is usually wrong.

The Poem, "The People" cites both the strength and the weakness of the masses.

By Tommaso Campanella​

The People

THE PEOPLE is a beast of muddy brain
That knows not its own strength, and therefore stands
Loaded with wood and stone; the powerless hands
Of a mere child guide it with bit and rein;
One kick would be enough to break the chain,
But the beast fears, and what the child demands
It does; nor its own terror understands,
Confused and stupefied by bugbears vain.
Most wonderful! With its own hand it ties
And gags itself—gives itself death and war
For pence doled out by kings from its own store.
Its own are all things between earth and heaven;
But this it knows not; and if one arise
To tell this truth, it kills him unforgiven.

Last edited:
This is why America retained its republicanism when declaring its independence. Democracy be damned.

Because the ignorant masses are . . . well . . . ignorant.
Take heart. Republicanism (conservatism) is declining in America. :omg:

Forum List

Back