Zone1 The Problem with ExNihilo Creation video series

onefour1

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2014
In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we do not believe that God creates things out of nothing. We believe that creating something from nothing is an eternal impossibility. I found the follow video series on youtube regarding the problems with Exnihilo Creation (creating out of nothing).

There are 16 videos in this video series. I find no evidence in the Bible that God creates out of nothing.

The Bible isn't evidence of anything. It's a book about stuff that did or didn't happen in the life time of anyone alive in many hundreds of years. Some of it may be true and some not. No one today knows for sure and is simply boxing themselves in with theory, and actually is playing God themselves thinking they actually know.

By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible (HEBREWS 11:3).

By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible (HEBREWS 11:3).
Spirits are not visible to us and do not appear to us but are not made from nothing. The wind is not visible to us yet it is made of something. This is not a proof that things are made from nothing.

oh. then what is the wind made of?
Wind consists of air which consists of the following:

The Chemical Composition of Air​

• The primary component of air is nitrogen gas.
  • Nitrogen, oxygen, water vapor, argon, and carbon dioxide account for about 99% of the composition of air.
  • Trace gases include neon, methane, helium, krypton, hydrogen, xenon, ozone, and many other elements and compounds.
  • The composition of air varies from one place to the next and even varies depending on whether it is day or night.
The molecules that make up air do exist.

you can't see it. Who do you credit with making it. Do you think WE created those chemicals and gases?

Amos 4:13
For, see, he that forms the mountains, and creates the wind, and declares to man what is his thought, that makes the morning darkness, and treads on the high places of the earth, The LORD, The God of hosts, is his name.

you can't see it. Who do you credit with making it. Do you think WE created those chemicals and gases?

Amos 4:13
For, see, he that forms the mountains, and creates the wind, and declares to man what is his thought, that makes the morning darkness, and treads on the high places of the earth, The LORD, The God of hosts, is his name.
what makes you think everything is created? How do you know that God doesn't create things from what already exists?

God's word. He was there. Charles Darwin wasn't. Darwin is dead. God isn't.
Yes, and I believe God does create. I just don't think He creates out of nothing. The problem people have is that they think the word "create" implies that things are created from nothing as opposed to being created from things that have always existed.

So don't believe it.
I don't. I believe God revealed the following:

Doctrine and Covenants 93:29, 33
29 Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be.

33 For man is spirit. The elements are eternal, and spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy;

Doctrine and Covenants 131:7-8
7 There is no such thing as immaterial matter. All spirit is matter, but it is more fine or pure, and can only be discerned by purer eyes;

8 We cannot see it; but when our bodies are purified we shall see that it is all matter.

In other words, the intelligence of all intelligent beings is eternal and have always existed. Before coming to this earth, God created spirit bodies out of spirit matter, which also has always existed, for these intelligences. Upon coming to this earth we then receive a more coarse matter, which also is eternal and was not created, that makes up our physical bodies on this earth.

If you read the first chapter of Genesis, you will see the words “God said” eight times, this explains how God created by His great power. God said, “Let there be lights in the heavens?” The stars, sun, and moon appeared God spoke and it WAS.

His thoughts are not our thoughts, his ways are not our ways.

Isaiah 55:8-
8“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD. 9“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so My ways are higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.…

“The heavens are Yours, the earth also is Yours; The world and all it contains, You have founded them. The north and the south, You have created them” (Psalm 89:11-12).

And that this was done merely by God’s almighty Word:

“By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, And by the breath of His mouth all their host,” (Psalm 33:6).

Last edited:
If you read the first chapter of Genesis, you will see the words “God said” eight times, this explains how God created by His great power. God said, “Let there be lights in the heavens?” The stars, sun, and moon appeared God spoke and it WAS.

His thoughts are not our thoughts, his ways are not our ways.

Isaiah 55:8-
8“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD. 9“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so My ways are higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.…

“The heavens are Yours, the earth also is Yours; The world and all it contains, You have founded them. The north and the south, You have created them” (Psalm 89:11-12).

And that this was done merely by God’s almighty Word:

“By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, And by the breath of His mouth all their host,” (Psalm 33:6).
God commands and the elements obey him. This is why God's ways are not our ways. We do not have power to command the elements. Simply by his word the heavens were made because the elements of the universe obey his voice and come together at his command to form what God would have them form into.

I don't. I believe God revealed the following:

Doctrine and Covenants 93:29, 33
29 Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be.

33 For man is spirit. The elements are eternal, and spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy;

Doctrine and Covenants 131:7-8
7 There is no such thing as immaterial matter. All spirit is matter, but it is more fine or pure, and can only be discerned by purer eyes;

8 We cannot see it; but when our bodies are purified we shall see that it is all matter.

In other words, the intelligence of all intelligent beings is eternal and have always existed. Before coming to this earth, God created spirit bodies out of spirit matter, which also has always existed, for these intelligences. Upon coming to this earth we then receive a more coarse matter, which also is eternal and was not created, that makes up our physical bodies on this earth.
That's nice.

2 Maccabees 7:28
I beseech you, my child, to look at the heaven and the earth and see everything that is in them, and recognize that God did not make them out of things that existed.

I beseech you, my child, to look at the heaven and the earth and see everything that is in them, and recognize that God did not make them out of things that existed.
I suggest you watch the video below to understand what was meant by existing or non-existing in old testament times. Here is another rendering of 2 Maccabees 7:28

I beseech thee, my son, look upon the heaven and the earth, and all that is therein, and consider that God made them of things that were not; and so was mankind made likewise.

Forum List

Back