The price of "free electric"

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England

An "electrical spine" of pylons could take over Britain's countryside as experts warn that new plans could cost taxpayers £60billion.

National Grid announced plans on Tuesday about how 86GW of offshore turbines will be carried from Scotland

So to get the free electric around the place, the pylon infrastructure is estimated to be £60bn. Hmm, as always in the UK, the actual costs ends up over double.

Can folk afford free renewable electric?

An "electrical spine" of pylons could take over Britain's countryside as experts warn that new plans could cost taxpayers £60billion.

National Grid announced plans on Tuesday about how 86GW of offshore turbines will be carried from Scotland

So to get the free electric around the place, the pylon infrastructure is estimated to be £60bn. Hmm, as always in the UK, the actual costs ends up over double.

Some 75%-80% of electric costs is in the transmission and maintenance of that system, so even if the power generation is 100% free it would only result in maybe a 25% reduction in prices to consumers, and that is for nuclear power, the cheapest and most efficient generator.

Some 75%-80% of electric costs is in the transmission and maintenance of that system, so even if the power generation is 100% free it would only result in maybe a 25% reduction in prices to consumers, and that is for nuclear power, the cheapest and most efficient generator.
Unfortunately, renewables adds cost to electric, Germany being the shining example of the economics on that.

And as you mentioned about the maintenance of the grid, £60bn is a tiny fraction of the initial and future costs.

I'm in a position to buy a plot and build, the focus being on a suitable site to be off grid. I forsee the standing charge increasing exponentially, so being off grid will only increase. Hopefully I can get a place beside a stream for a hydro generator.

the focus being on a suitable site to be off grid

My brother went off grid; the upfront costs are high for the good stuff, and it takes about 20 years to break even at current prices, but those should come down, but they probably won't, as govt. protected monopolies are already dominating manufacture and wholesale distribution. If they continue, quality will also drop.

Back in the 80s they ran a powerline through one of our hunting leases into NOtVA.....Thirty years later they put another right next to it.

Like this X 2.....Looks like warmed over shit.

53e14540898661bbff5f61a38656694f--transmission-line-west-virginia.jpg

No. Nobody can. Time to build Nuclear Power Plants.

Everything the Brits do, costs a bloody fortune -

So I'm not surprised we're well down the list on electric cost.

I don't believe England will put up with such pellucidly deceptive language.

Forum List

Back