The Physics Professor Poses Darwinian Question to Students

ChemEngineer

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2019
I met a physics professor and we had a cordial conversation regarding Darwin's Tautology: "Organisms survive because they're fit and they're fit because they survive." This isn't right. It isn't even wrong. - Wolfgang Pauli, Nobel Laureate in Physics

The physicist posed the question to every class: "How long would it take for a warehouse full of Tesla parts to assemble themselves?"

:::: crickets chirping ::::::::

It is of course a rhetorical question, because it is abundantly clear that no warehouse full of Tesla parts would ever assemble themselves. However there is a far more subtle point which I deduced and gave to the professor after giving his brilliant question a thorough analysis.

How long would it take for all of the parts to design themselves, gather the thousands of different raw materials, process and refine themselves so that they all conform perfectly in a finished product, and then transport themselves to the one warehouse in the world? THIS is a far more impossible task than the 10,000 different parts assembling themselves, which is of course impossible.

With the schematic plans for a Tesla, we can build one. With the schematic plans of a single-celled animal, we cannot. So much for Darwinian nonsense.

This is the schematic for a NEC monitor.

NEC Monitor

This monitor performs a valuable function and is clearly designed, that is to say, it did not develop itself.

This is the schematic for a single cell. Note the similarities of the two schematic designs.

Cell chemistry.jpg

However, unlike the NEC monitor schematic, the cell schematic:

1. Cannot be constructed by humans in a laboratory, but only by another living cell,
  2. Can feed (provide power) to itself,
  3. Can repair itself,
  4. Can reproduce itself,
  5. Can transport itself from place to place via chemical means,
  6. Can modify its own structure, as when muscles are developed through exercise.
To pretend that sophisticated electronics were designed by educated engineers, but far more sophisticated cells and animals made themselves, via absurd and statistically impossible syntheses is totally absurd.

The root word for science is “Scientia,” Latin for “truth,” not consensus. Scientific consensus has been wrong countless times over human history. The excuse given for all these errors is *science has a self-correcting mechanism.” Big deal. So does every living organism, viz., all plants and animals seek food, water, habitable space, and heal themselves when injured.

Truth will always be paucorem hominem*, (of few men) and must therefore quietly and modestly wait for the few whose unusual mode of thought may find it enjoyable. Life is short, but works far and lives long; let us speak the truth. – Arthur Schopenhauer

This is the schematic for a NEC monitor.

NEC Monitor

This monitor performs a valuable function and is clearly designed, that is to say, it did not develop itself.

This is the schematic for a single cell. Note the similarities of the two schematic designs.

Cell chemistry.jpg

However, unlike the NEC monitor schematic, the cell schematic:

1. Cannot be constructed by humans in a laboratory, but only by another living cell,
  2. Can feed (provide power) to itself,
  3. Can repair itself,
  4. Can reproduce itself,
  5. Can transport itself from place to place via chemical means,
  6. Can modify its own structure, as when muscles are developed through exercise.
To pretend that sophisticated electronics were designed by educated engineers, but far more sophisticated cells and animals made themselves, via absurd and statistically impossible syntheses is totally absurd.

The root word for science is “Scientia,” Latin for “truth,” not consensus. Scientific consensus has been wrong countless times over human history. The excuse given for all these errors is *science has a self-correcting mechanism.” Big deal. So does every living organism, viz., all plants and animals seek food, water, habitable space, and heal themselves when injured.

Truth will always be paucorem hominem*, (of few men) and must therefore quietly and modestly wait for the few whose unusual mode of thought may find it enjoyable. Life is short, but works far and lives long; let us speak the truth. – Arthur Schopenhauer
Why didn’t God build that stuff if he is a creator?

I love how people scrap the bottom of the barrel to certify their religious views but turn and run when you ask why their god created plants before the sun :lol:

I met a physics professor and we had a cordial conversation regarding Darwin's Tautology: "Organisms survive because they're fit and they're fit because they survive." This isn't right. It isn't even wrong. - Wolfgang Pauli, Nobel Laureate in Physics

The physicist posed the question to every class: "How long would it take for a warehouse full of Tesla parts to assemble themselves?"

It is of course a rhetorical question, because it is abundantly clear that no warehouse full of Tesla parts would ever assemble themselves. However there is a far more subtle point which I deduced and gave to the professor after giving his brilliant question a thorough analysis.

How long would it take for all of the parts to design themselves, gather the thousands of different raw materials, process and refine themselves so that they all conform perfectly in a finished product, and then transport themselves to the one warehouse in the world? THIS is a far more impossible task than the 10,000 different parts assembling themselves, which is of course impossible.

With the schematic plans for a Tesla, we can build one. With the schematic plans of a single-celled animal, we cannot. So much for Darwinian nonsense.
Both are possible. Look up automation and AI

A more honest question would be, how long would it take one Oxygen atom to combine with 2 Hydrogen atoms to form water?

So much for Darwinian nonsense.
The rhetorical question posed in the OP does not refute Darwinism.

"How long would it take for a warehouse full of Tesla parts to assemble themselves?"

Since the universe is believed to be some 14 billion years old, I suppose the answer is some 14 billion years. That's how long it took for our sun, solar system, and planet to come into existence and then how long it took for mankind to evolve, and then how long it took for mankind to learn how to make Tesla parts and then how long to assemble them. Not to mention the warehouse.

To deny Darwinism is I think ridiculous. Evolution is the overwhelming consensus as the explanation for how life evolves. It doesn't mean that God did or didn't create all life, if he did then maybe he used evolution as the means to allow life to adapt and change. It's still a theory, not proved. As such, it can be and maybe should be challenged. But the rhetorical question used in the OP is IMHO pretty dumb.

The rhetorical question posed in the OP does not refute Darwinism.

"How long would it take for a warehouse full of Tesla parts to assemble themselves?"

Since the universe is believed to be some 14 billion years old, I suppose the answer is some 14 billion years. That's how long it took for our sun, solar system, and planet to come into existence and then how long it took for mankind to evolve, and then how long it took for mankind to learn how to make Tesla parts and then how long to assemble them. Not to mention the warehouse.

To deny Darwinism is I think ridiculous. Evolution is the overwhelming consensus as the explanation for how life evolves. It doesn't mean that God did or didn't create all life, if he did then maybe he used evolution as the means to allow life to adapt and change. It's still a theory, not proved. As such, it can be and maybe should be challenged. But the rhetorical question used in the OP is IMHO pretty dumb.
believed to be doesnt mean it is,, and using time to justify it is the worst of excuses,,

That is some of the dumbest argument I have ever heard. Furthermore, It is unlikely I would consult a physics professor on Darwin, or a molecular biologist on Faraday's laws of electrolysis, electromagnetic spin or studies of electromagnetic field dynamics.
The idea of "just ask a smart person", they know about everything, don't work.

You reminded me of this tale:

Once a group of scientists confronted God and told him he was not the only one who could create life.

God listened patiently and said, “OK, show me.”

The scientists said, “First we need a wheelbarrow full of dirt.”

God smiled and replied, “Create your own dirt, boys.”

Forum List

Back