The Paranoid Delusion of White Evangelical "Christians"

Who is it that does not believe in getting vaccinated? Who is it that denies climate change? Who is it that is consistently bigoted, homophobic and hate filled? Who is it that lacks formal education beyond high school? Who is it that centers their belief system around what a televangelist is telling them (often to send more money so he can upgrade his Learjet?)

I remember these people well during the W. Bush years, but they are morphing into something even more sinister and grotesque than they were.

In addition to shrinking as a share of the population, white evangelicals were also the oldest religious group in the United States, with a median age of 56. “It’s not just that they are dying off, but it is that they’re losing younger members,” Jones told me. As the group has become older and smaller, Jones said, “a real visceral sense of loss of cultural dominance” has set in.

White evangelicals once saw themselves “as the owners of mainstream American culture and morality and values,” said Jones. Now they are just another subculture.

From this fact derives much of our country’s cultural conflict. It helps explain not just the rise of Donald Trump, but also the growth of QAnon and even the escalating conflagration over critical race theory. “It’s hard to overstate the strength of this feeling, among white evangelicals in particular, of America being a white Christian country,” said Jones. “This sense of ownership of America just runs so deep in white evangelical circles.” The feeling that it’s slipping away has created an atmosphere of rage, resentment and paranoia.

QAnon is essentially a millenarian movement, with Trump taking the place of Jesus. Adherents dream of the coming of what they call the storm, when the enemies of the MAGA movement will be rounded up and executed, and Trump restored to his rightful place of leadership.

“It’s not unlike a belief in the second coming of Christ,” said Jones. “That at some point God will reorder society and set things right. I think that when a community feels itself in crisis, it does become more susceptible to conspiracy theories and other things that tell them that what they’re experiencing is not ultimately what’s going to happen.”

The current fundie movement has its roots in the schism of the Baptist Church and the formation of the Southern Baptist Church which was expressly split off over the issue of the promotion of slavery.

Who is it that does not believe in getting vaccinated? Who is it that denies climate change? Who is it that is consistently bigoted, homophobic and hate filled? Who is it that lacks formal education beyond high school? Who is it that centers their belief system around what a televangelist is telling them (often to send more money so he can upgrade his Learjet?)

I remember these people well during the W. Bush years, but they are morphing into something even more sinister and grotesque than they were.

In addition to shrinking as a share of the population, white evangelicals were also the oldest religious group in the United States, with a median age of 56. “It’s not just that they are dying off, but it is that they’re losing younger members,” Jones told me. As the group has become older and smaller, Jones said, “a real visceral sense of loss of cultural dominance” has set in.

White evangelicals once saw themselves “as the owners of mainstream American culture and morality and values,” said Jones. Now they are just another subculture.

From this fact derives much of our country’s cultural conflict. It helps explain not just the rise of Donald Trump, but also the growth of QAnon and even the escalating conflagration over critical race theory. “It’s hard to overstate the strength of this feeling, among white evangelicals in particular, of America being a white Christian country,” said Jones. “This sense of ownership of America just runs so deep in white evangelical circles.” The feeling that it’s slipping away has created an atmosphere of rage, resentment and paranoia.

QAnon is essentially a millenarian movement, with Trump taking the place of Jesus. Adherents dream of the coming of what they call the storm, when the enemies of the MAGA movement will be rounded up and executed, and Trump restored to his rightful place of leadership.

“It’s not unlike a belief in the second coming of Christ,” said Jones. “That at some point God will reorder society and set things right. I think that when a community feels itself in crisis, it does become more susceptible to conspiracy theories and other things that tell them that what they’re experiencing is not ultimately what’s going to happen.”

The current fundie movement has its roots in the schism of the Baptist Church and the formation of the Southern Baptist Church which was expressly split off over the issue of the promotion of slavery.

They organized in 1909 in Philadelphia in reaction to science and modernity. Its quite an interesting story.
Yes, any religious group from 1909 is directly comparable to fundamentalists today, just like if you are white today you should pay reparations for what whites did hundreds of years ago.

Very sell said.

What are you talking about? They decided the Bible was to be studied literally, they embraced the Scofield heresy and Christian Zionism... and fostered the Scopes Monkey Trial. It was a reactionary period against science and modernity.

Evangelicals still reject science and education.
I'm an Evangelical and I don't reject science or education.

But you flat our reject stories like the Garden of Eden, even though such stories reveal a troubling truth today. For you see, Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge which was forbidden to them. Now why do you suppose that was? Does it seem odd that the tree was so named?

But looking at the world today, what is most threatening? Is it not a virus manufactured in a lab? What could completely wipe out all life from the earth? Are they not WMD's created by scientists.

Evangelicals don't threaten all life on earth, but people like yourself do.

The message of the Garden is simple, knowledge without wisdom brings death.

As the scientist Oppenheimer said after creating the A-bomb that destroyed two Japanese cities "I have become death"

Just about every culture has aa tree of life and a tree of knowledge. .. and knowledge without wisdom is obviously not helpful

Genesis answers a lot of questions for Bronze Age people but those stories are neither science nor history. They are morality tales and teaching narratives.

I am not surprise you think Covid was manufactured in a lab.
The Bible is the only religious book I know of that is used by scientists, that is, Biblical Archeologists.

These are not religious zealots, rather, they simply respect the text in terms of its historical veracity because reading it has helped them find digs.

For example, the only historical reference to the Philistines is in the Bible. They found them in digs by simply following the text.

But being a science hater you totally disregard such findings.

Bible archaeology is deeply flawed because their intention is to PROVE scripture. Modern Archaeologists do the work and let the work speak for itself. Israel has some excellent ones. .. So does Egypt..

Then you have frauds like Yigal Yadim or Ron Wyatt or Hayseed Stevens who use archaeology for their political agendas or to take money from believers.
Mainstream archeology is a fraud. It all seeks to prove existing theories as historical fact. Anytime a researcher uncovers proof or evidence that the current stated history of man is wrong that person is IMMEDIATELY labeled a crackpot.

Do not believe ANYTHING you have learned as gospel. Question EVERYTHING and do your research.
Both the biblical history and modern taught history are wrong about our past.
In your view what are the flaws of both?
Unwillingness to accept new evidence or theories. To do so could dismiss entrenched interests that could upend current teachings, invalidate textbooks & and other forms of archeology which would both cost money to correct current dogma as well as cut off the power of the establishment as it pertains to archeology
I think you will find that it is human nature to want to dismiss things that counter your beliefs. It has little to do with religion specifically. Science has a myriad of stories of other scientists being thrown to the dogs for a different view on what is accepted, only to be proven right years later.

It is because we are unable to prove precious little so we are left with belief to try and piece together reality in order to try and make sense of the world around us. Then when those beliefs are threatened, our ability to make sense of the world is subsequently threatened.

Granted, some beliefs threaten us more than others. Some can be discarded

with less anxiety while others are cornerstones that would force us to start over again.

As for myself, I grew up being told that science and the Bible were mutually exclusive. One was right while the other lying. I was told this from both sides

But as I matured and began investigating how both might be correct about such things as the age of the earth, I began to understand I was sold a bunch of crap from both those of faith and atheists.

They organized in 1909 in Philadelphia in reaction to science and modernity. Its quite an interesting story.
Yes, any religious group from 1909 is directly comparable to fundamentalists today, just like if you are white today you should pay reparations for what whites did hundreds of years ago.

Very sell said.

What are you talking about? They decided the Bible was to be studied literally, they embraced the Scofield heresy and Christian Zionism... and fostered the Scopes Monkey Trial. It was a reactionary period against science and modernity.

But you flat our reject stories like the Garden of Eden, even though such stories reveal a troubling truth today. For you see, Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge which was forbidden to them. Now why do you suppose that was? Does it seem odd that the tree was so named?

But looking at the world today, what is most threatening? Is it not a virus manufactured in a lab? What could completely wipe out all life from the earth? Are they not WMD's created by scientists.

As the scientist Oppenheimer said after creating the A-bomb that destroyed two Japanese cities "I have become death"

Just about every culture has aa tree of life and a tree of knowledge. .. and knowledge without wisdom is obviously not helpful

Genesis answers a lot of questions for Bronze Age people but those stories are neither science nor history. They are morality tales and teaching narratives.

The Bible is the only religious book I know of that is used by scientists, that is, Biblical Archeologists.

These are not religious zealots, rather, they simply respect the text in terms of its historical veracity because reading it has helped them find digs.

For example, the only historical reference to the Philistines is in the Bible. They found them in digs by simply following the text.

Bible archaeology is deeply flawed because their intention is to PROVE scripture. Modern Archaeologists do the work and let the work speak for itself. Israel has some excellent ones. .. So does Egypt..

Then you have frauds like Yigal Yadim or Ron Wyatt or Hayseed Stevens who use archaeology for their political agendas or to take money from believers.
Mainstream archeology is a fraud. It all seeks to prove existing theories as historical fact. Anytime a researcher uncovers proof or evidence that the current stated history of man is wrong that person is IMMEDIATELY labeled a crackpot.

Do not believe ANYTHING you have learned as gospel. Question EVERYTHING and do your research.
Unwillingness to accept new evidence or theories. To do so could dismiss entrenched interests that could upend current teachings, invalidate textbooks & and other forms of archeology which would both cost money to correct current dogma as well as cut off the power of the establishment as it pertains to archeology
I think you will find that it is human nature to want to dismiss things that counter your beliefs. It has little to do with religion specifically. Science has a myriad of stories of other scientists being thrown to the dogs for a different view on what is accepted, only to be proven right years later.

It is because we are unable to prove precious little so we are left with belief to try and piece together reality in order to try and make sense of the world around us. Then when those beliefs are threatened, our ability to make sense of the world is subsequently threatened.

with less anxiety while others are cornerstones that would force us to start over again.

As for myself, I grew up being told that science and the Bible were mutually exclusive. One was right while the other lying. I was told this from both sides

But as I matured and began investigating how both might be correct about such things as the age of the earth, I began to understand I was sold a bunch of crap from both those of faith and atheists.

Apples and oranges. Religion is spiritual.

The Left's obsession with the Evangelicals is a lot like the Nazi's obsession with the Jews.

That's because they've been taught that white Christians represent everything they're 'against', and since they're also the majority it's an easy way for them to pick a target that is hindering their movement and try to marginalize them. It's been the same old story for 40 years now by the 'progressives', while supposedly supporting love, tolerance, and peace, they've set out to destroy Christianity and blame them for all of the world's ills. Who else also would like to see that happen, it's an easy and simple answer, and if you're a scholar of the Bible, you can clearly see what is going on and will continue to go on who knows how far into the future. But in the end, God wins, and that's good enough for me.

The Left's obsession with the Evangelicals is a lot like the Nazi's obsession with the Jews.

That's because they've been taught that white Christians represent everything they're 'against', and since they're also the majority it's an easy way for them to pick a target that is hindering their movement and try to marginalize them. It's been the same old story for 40 years now by the 'progressives', while supposedly supporting love, tolerance, and peace, they've set out to destroy Christianity and blame them for all of the world's ills. Who else also would like to see that happen, it's an easy and simple answer, and if you're a scholar of the Bible, you can clearly see what is going on and will continue to go on who knows how far into the future. But in the end, God wins, and that's good enough for me.

As a Bible scholar what do you think of the Ugarit texts?

If they are all dying off then why do you seem so irritated by them?

Because I'm a Christian and they make me look bad.
If you are a Christian, then the telling people the truth will make you look bad because the truth hurts us all to some extent.

So you follow someone who was nailed to a cross for telling the truth by the masses with everyone abandoning him, and you are worried about what people think of you?

LOL

Someone named Robert P. Jones is supported by an organization founded by Robert P. Jones
and he uses himself as an echo chamber of justification for everything he claims as stated in the
many books written by Robert P. Jones.

Evangelicals may or may not be right about much of what they claim but this cushy little cottage industry
set up by Robert P. Jones seems essentially dishonest and self serving.

Just like almost all of your post and threads and I will leave this little window of doubt left open
purely as a courtesy and not because I don't think all your posts are indeed bullshit, because I do.

Last edited:

Very sell said.

Bull

The reason those of faith often have such little regard for science is the same reason those of science has such little regard for theology.

As a result, you have scientists laughing at such places as the Creation museum showing the earth only 6000 years old and scientists attempting theology such as Dawkins with his book "The God Delusion"

Both provide hours of comical entertainment because people have little respect for what they don't understand or bother to study.

i predicted that the left will start going after white Christians ..... are yall going to start storming into and interrupting church services next ?

We have hoards of diseased illegals who never saw a vaccination in their lives infiltrating the borders every day but the (bigoted) angry left worries about evangelical Christians. Talk about paranoid.
evangelicals are the next target in line for the evil marxist left ....

i predicted that the left will start going after white Christians ..... are yall going to start storming into and interrupting church services next ?

Lefty fascists have been doing that for years. The left's next step will be burning churches and publicly executing Christians like their colleagues in the middle east and Africa have been doing.

Very sell said.

Bull

The reason those of faith often have such little regard for science is the same reason those of science has such little regard for theology.

As a result, you have scientists laughing at such places as the Creation museum showing the earth only 6000 years old and scientists attempting theology such as Dawkins with his book "The God Delusion"

Both provide hours of comical entertainment because people have little respect for what they don't understand or bother to study.

They are completely different disciplines. You think there was a worldwide flood or humans lived alongside dinosaurs? Really? You want to challenge science with such mythos?

We have hoards of diseased illegals who never saw a vaccination in their lives infiltrating the borders every day but the (bigoted) angry left worries about evangelical Christians. Talk about paranoid.
evangelicals are the next target in line for the evil marxist left ....
Well if Revelations is right, they are just getting warmed up.

But really, any ideology or authority that challenges the Left must be destroyed.

It matters little what it is.

Lefty fascists have been doing that for years. The left's next step will be burning churches and publicly executing Christians like their colleagues in the middle east and Africa have been doing.

The SPLA and the LRA have killed a lot of Muslims .. The SPLA kidnapped Muslim and Dinka children as slaves and conscripts.

And then there are the American missionary campaigns to inforce the death penalty for homosexuals in Nigeria.

Very sell said.

Bull

They are completely different disciplines. You think there was a worldwide flood or humans lived alongside dinosaurs? Really? You want to challenge science with such mythos?
My views can be labeled Old Earth Creationism. There are a myriad of theories floating out there if interested.

So if you are I will share. If not, then bugger off.

As for the flood, to even know what a flood is one would have to experience it. And all ancient cultures in Mesopotamia have a great flood story.

But from your perspective, its just all rubbish even though the mere fact of the evidence that a great flood actually happened is present in all those cultures

Forum List

Back