"The Out of Towners" puts current events in perspective.

fncceo

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2016
In 1970 a little comedy gem from Niel Simon called the "Out of Towners" came out. Starring Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis, its the story of a man and his wife from Ohio coming to New York for a job interview which means a big promotion.

MV5BN2ExYTE1YTYtYzQxNi00NjNkLWI3OWMtZjY5NTU0MTViN2U1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MjU0Ng@@._V1_UX182_CR0...jpg

In the movie, their flight is stuck in a holding pattern over New York for hours, the flight diverted to Boston. They miss the train back and by the time they get back to New York, the hotel has given away their room. New York is mired in a transit strike, a sanitation strike with no buses or taxis and huge mountains of garbage on every street. Their luggage is lost, they are mugged, hijacked in a stolen police car, forced to sleep in the park, attacked by a dog, caught in a protest riot, and thrown out of church. Eventually, on the return flight to Ohio, they are hijacked to Cuba.

"Gwen Kellerman: I don't know, George. I was hoping you would say no. I was hoping you would say that you and your wife don't really belong in New York. That you wanted to live the rest of your life in Ohio. That you never wanted to see a big city again as long as you live. That you didn't want to live here or in, uh, Chicago, or San Francisco, or New Orleans or Paris or any other place where people have to live on top of each other, and they don't have enough room to walk or to breathe or to smile at each other. That you don't want to step on garbage in the streets, or be attacked by dogs or have to give away watches in the middle of your sleep to men in black capes. That you were through traveling on trains that had no place to sit & no food to eat. And you didn't want to fly in airplanes that have no place to land, and no luggage for you when you land there. That you wish you never came here, and the only thing in the world you really wanted was to pick up your wife and carry her to the airport and fly home... and live happily ever after. That's what I was hoping you would say, George.

George Kellerman: That's funny... that's what I told him, word for word."

While it was ridiculous and hilarious that so many things would happen to a couple in a 48 hour period, it was a very plausible to audiences in the '70s because airport plane stacking, strikes, garbage in the streets, muggings, riots, were in the news every day. Americans were so accustomed to these things as part of every day life, they were able to see them as funny.

Even plane hijackings were relatively common place, with 22 international hijackings in 1970 and 1971 alone.

When I think of things today, I often look back to the more turbulent '60s and '70s and breathe a sigh over how much better things are so much better today.

its happening
In 1970 a little comedy gem from Niel Simon called the "Out of Towners" came out. Starring Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis, its the story of a man and his wife from Ohio coming to New York for a job interview which means a big promotion.

View attachment 358103

In the movie, their flight is stuck in a holding pattern over New York for hours, the flight diverted to Boston. They miss the train back and by the time they get back to New York, the hotel has given away their room. New York is mired in a transit strike, a sanitation strike with no buses or taxis and huge mountains of garbage on every street. Their luggage is lost, they are mugged, hijacked in a stolen police car, forced to sleep in the park, attacked by a dog, caught in a protest riot, and thrown out of church. Eventually, on the return flight to Ohio, they are hijacked to Cuba.

"Gwen Kellerman: I don't know, George. I was hoping you would say no. I was hoping you would say that you and your wife don't really belong in New York. That you wanted to live the rest of your life in Ohio. That you never wanted to see a big city again as long as you live. That you didn't want to live here or in, uh, Chicago, or San Francisco, or New Orleans or Paris or any other place where people have to live on top of each other, and they don't have enough room to walk or to breathe or to smile at each other. That you don't want to step on garbage in the streets, or be attacked by dogs or have to give away watches in the middle of your sleep to men in black capes. That you were through traveling on trains that had no place to sit & no food to eat. And you didn't want to fly in airplanes that have no place to land, and no luggage for you when you land there. That you wish you never came here, and the only thing in the world you really wanted was to pick up your wife and carry her to the airport and fly home... and live happily ever after. That's what I was hoping you would say, George.

While it was ridiculous and hilarious that so many things would happen to a couple in a 48 hour period, it was a very plausible to audiences in the '70s because airport plane stacking, strikes, garbage in the streets, muggings, riots, were in the news every day. Americans were so accustomed to these things as part of every day life, they were able to see them as funny.

Even plane hijackings were relatively common place, with 22 international hijackings in 1970 and 1971 alone.

When I think of things today, I often look back to the more turbulent '60s and '70s and breathe a sigh over how much better things are so much better today.

it's happening again-----remember the songs
~~~~~~ summer-time-summer-time-summer-time........

its happening

View attachment 358103

In 1969, the Summer of Love, the Summer of the counter culture, Haight-Ashbury, the Manson Family. The year the cities and campuses burned across the nation ... this was the Number One SONG OF THAT YEAR!

By a freaking CARTOON BAND!

yeah----I remember that year. I AM STAYING IN MY TINY LITTLE PLACE----with my computer

In 1969, the Summer of Love, the Summer of the counter culture, Haight-Ashbury, the Manson Family. The year the cities and campuses burned across the nation.
'67 was the Summer of Love and '68 was a lot more chaotic than '69.

I'll always remember The Out of Towners as the last movie we walked in midstream and staying for the next showing until we reached the part where we came in on. Life with the parents in those days.

its happening

View attachment 358103

In 1969, the Summer of Love, the Summer of the counter culture, Haight-Ashbury, the Manson Family. The year the cities and campuses burned across the nation ... this was the Number One SONG OF THAT YEAR!

By a freaking CARTOON BAND!

I kinda like this cartoon band.

1969 was a killer year I got to grow my hair long for the first time no more flat tops or burr haircut fer me..

Forum List

Back