The Origins and Causes of the U.S. Civil War

Status
Not open for further replies.
. The Slave Power had to go.
pure idiotic lunacy!! Slavery had been around for 20,000 years. It did not have to go in 1863 as if that was some sort of deadline, and it certainly did not have to go at the cost of 800,000 lives!!

Do you realize 800,000 human beings is a lot of human beings? Do you realize most died very very slowly in great agony?? What is wrong with your ability to think?
Just say it outright Eddy boy - you'd be quite content if slavery was still around.

. The Slave Power had to go.
pure idiotic lunacy!! Slavery had been around for 20,000 years. It did not have to go in 1863 as if that was some sort of deadline, and it certainly did not have to go at the cost of 800,000 lives!!

Do you realize 800,000 human beings is a lot of human beings? Do you realize most died very very slowly in great agony?? What is wrong with your ability to think?
Just say it outright Eddy boy - you'd be quite content if slavery was still around.
if you have evidence of that I'll pay you $10,000. Bet or admit to being a liar.

The inability of the Articles Congress to enforce the terms of the treaty was grounds for a lot of foreign tension in the years immediately after the war.

do you have any idea what your subject is?? This is supposed to be about Civil War causes. Do you have any idea what caused the civil war?
Yes, I do know what my subject is. The point is to establish that the men who wrote the Constitution (George Washington chaired the Constitutional Convention the year after writing that) did not intend for the Union to be broken up. As you may or may not have noticed, the subject of the thread kind of got changed back on page 3.

and so is the subject as the title implies: causes of civil war? Do you know the causes?
Yes. Read the OP, I assure you it's quite thorough, though not as thorough as it could be because I ran into the character limit in the place it was originally posted.
The op is a piece of crap, it makes incorrect assertions, and never addresses the legality of secession.

I can address that issue for you right now: There never was any legal basis for secession.

do you have any idea what your subject is?? This is supposed to be about Civil War causes. Do you have any idea what caused the civil war?
Yes, I do know what my subject is. The point is to establish that the men who wrote the Constitution (George Washington chaired the Constitutional Convention the year after writing that) did not intend for the Union to be broken up. As you may or may not have noticed, the subject of the thread kind of got changed back on page 3.

and so is the subject as the title implies: causes of civil war? Do you know the causes?
Yes. Read the OP, I assure you it's quite thorough, though not as thorough as it could be because I ran into the character limit in the place it was originally posted.
The op is a piece of crap, it makes incorrect assertions, and never addresses the legality of secession.

I can address that issue for you right now: There never was any legal basis for secession.

most importantly, was the rapid liberal change of the war worth 800,000 lives 100 years of Jim Crow and 40 years of hip hop culture?

most importantly, was the rapid liberal change of the war worth 800,000 lives 100 years of Jim Crow and 40 years of hip hop culture?

Most importantly to who?

Discombobulated, there is no legal basis to stop a state from seceding, that's the point. If there is no law established making something illegal, then it is most certainly legal. The tenth amendment covers that issue.

It was always unconstitutional.

Post the article and section/paragraph, then.
Your opinion doesn't matter here.

America lost what? The "right" to enslave black people?

america lost when the government decided to invade, murder/rape/rob civilians (fellow americans, mind you), steal their property, burn their homes and businesses and wreck their infrastructure because they want to legally and peacefully withdraw from the union.

Why exactly is it so important to you that people trying to exercise their legal rights to withdraw and form their own government should be violently subdued and brought under domination?

Was king george correct to invade the colonies and murder civilians because the colonists wanted to withdraw from england?

Apparently, using your logic, if your wife asks for a divorce, you believe it's ok to beat her for it.

We send troops around the world to help other nations form their own democratic governments...but you think it's ok to murder fellow citizens who wanted the same things...Hypocrisy much?

Regardless..this country is finished anyway...and the next time a group of states decide to withdraw (and it's coming...probably in the west. Most Southern states would likely join them, too)....there's nothing your gvmt will be able to do about it...so laugh it up, sweetie...

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Oh..you don't want to talk about the war of northern aggression any more...now you want to quote the preamble....
Collapse, partitioning and reconstruction, ravi.
Corrections will be made.
You asked a question and didn't like the answer. The South got what it deserved.

Not quite. If they had gotten what they deserved the leaders of the Confederacy would have all been hanged as traitors.
Good point.

I am rethinking my stance on southern secession in 1861. They had a right to succeed, and, given the reasons, they would have rued the day. And on top of that, Slavery was doomed to fail because of the industrial revolution, let alone Christian values would have led the south to eventually relent and abandon slavery. And it would have saved lives, maybe even Lincoln's. If you love something let it go... The southern states would have sued to get back in the union years later after this hiccup.

The Southern leaders would not accept constitutional, electoral procedure.

South Carolina had seceded months before Lincoln was inaugurated.

The CSA fired on US ships under Buchanan and Lincoln's administrations.

No where does the 10th Amendment, much less the Constitution, permit states to secede.

Slavery was well off and protected, with 90% of the economy vested directed and indirectly in the cotton empire.

Southerners could (1) no longer stand being called immoral, and (2) not live on an equal basis with the slaves. They are much like our far right conservatives.

The Old South deserved to die.

Discombobulated, there is no legal basis to stop a state from seceding, that's the point. If there is no law established making something illegal, then it is most certainly legal. The tenth amendment covers that issue.

Wrong again......or rather still.

I am rethinking my stance on southern secession in 1861. They had a right to succeed, and, given the reasons, they would have rued the day. And on top of that, Slavery was doomed to fail because of the industrial revolution, let alone Christian values would have led the south to eventually relent and abandon slavery. And it would have saved lives, maybe even Lincoln's. If you love something let it go... The southern states would have sued to get back in the union years later after this hiccup.

Just plain silly.

Post the article and section/paragraph, then.
Your opinion doesn't matter here.

america lost when the government decided to invade, murder/rape/rob civilians (fellow americans, mind you), steal their property, burn their homes and businesses and wreck their infrastructure because they want to legally and peacefully withdraw from the union.

Why exactly is it so important to you that people trying to exercise their legal rights to withdraw and form their own government should be violently subdued and brought under domination?

Was king george correct to invade the colonies and murder civilians because the colonists wanted to withdraw from england?

Apparently, using your logic, if your wife asks for a divorce, you believe it's ok to beat her for it.

We send troops around the world to help other nations form their own democratic governments...but you think it's ok to murder fellow citizens who wanted the same things...Hypocrisy much?

Regardless..this country is finished anyway...and the next time a group of states decide to withdraw (and it's coming...probably in the west. Most Southern states would likely join them, too)....there's nothing your gvmt will be able to do about it...so laugh it up, sweetie...

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Oh..you don't want to talk about the war of northern aggression any more...now you want to quote the preamble....
Collapse, partitioning and reconstruction, ravi.
Corrections will be made.
You asked a question and didn't like the answer. The South got what it deserved.

Not quite. If they had gotten what they deserved the leaders of the Confederacy would have all been hanged as traitors.
Good point.

Many southern folks learned the wrong lessons from the Civil War. Had we hanged the leaders as traitors then they might have understood that the question of secession is settled.

Just plain silly.
No facts or anything, No argument. Great response, well thought out.

Just plain silly.
No facts or anything, No argument. Great response, well thought out.
Did you bother reading the thread?

Exactly wrong and completely stupid. Slavery became much more important as a direct result of the industrial revolution making cotton production the most important export from the south. Which made slaves their most important financial investment, worth more than all the factories and foundries of the north. And Christian values were used to justify slavery as often as not. So where are your alleged facts? I don't see any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back