The origin of cowboy culture.

longhorn cattle
This is also in favor of the proto-Aryan version of the origin, because the ancient bull Tur was long-horned

275px-Copenhagen_Aurochse.jpg

In Eurasia, it was exterminated in the 17th century

The whole premise of this thread confuses me. It feels like a non-European person trying to state that a centerpiece of American culture is itself non-European.

Humans have always live among bovines and horses. There are bull-worshiping religions and bull-headed monsters in just about every mythology (they are both powerful and scary, and provide food, so of course), and there was definitely a lot of culture around riding horses and raising cattle all over medieval Europe. Then, there was a lot of land in America and a lot of people to be fed, so we developed a mishmash of European, indigenous, and invented customs, with probably bits of African and Asian culture in there as well. What's the issue?

As for where our modern image of the "traditional cowboy" comes from, I think it's probably more Tom Mix and Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show than anything else. Not a lot of actual cowboys wore ten-gallon hats, for example.

There were cattle drives through Arkansas in the 1840's and after; not as large as the ones from New Mexico and Texas for a few years after the Civil War, of course. The market tanking twice, once in the 1870's and again in the early 1880's, helped end them along with the railroads reaching Ft.Worth and Kansas. Barbed wire made the Plains viable for both some farming and better breeding control for livestock of all kinds further north, no need for long drives and better beef stock than longhorns to feed the Armour meat packing operations in Chicago, and refrigerated rail cars all contributed as well. The whole 'cowboy' era was maybe 20 years or so.

But we still have cowboys even today

There are vast ranches that still manage cows from horseback

More and more of them are being swallowed up by Big Ag. They use helicopters and trail bikes now mostly. I always hated horses, myself, they're stupid and dangerous. We made granpa get a couple of trail bikes to work his place with, he kept his horses. We got three times more done than he did moving them around from pasture to pasture. lol

Horses were shipped over by the Spanish. American Indians took them from the Spanish and made a part of their culture. The cattle drives resulted from the large number of feral cattle in the West which were rounded up and taken to railheads to be meat for hungry Easterners.

Lots of wild horses around back then as well due to the Spanish. Still are in a few places.

Humans have always live among bovines and horses. There are bull-worshiping religions and bull-headed monsters in just about every mythology
Not everywhere, this only applies to Aryan / Indo-European mythology. Everything that is in the myths of other peoples was borrowed from the same source. In particular, in Europe there was a cult of the horned god Samana, a borrowing from the Celts who came from the Asian steppe. Etc.

In general, primordial European cultures are chthonic. They worshiped reptiles and especially snakes

More and more of them are being swallowed up by Big Ag. They use helicopters and trail bikes now mostly. I always hated horses, myself, they're stupid and dangerous. We made granpa get a couple of trail bikes to work his place with, he kept his horses. We got three times more done than he did moving them around from pasture to pasture. lol
It is unlikely that horses were used for labor before. They were very valuable as a military force.

Before what?
Probably until the last century. In the 19th century, they are still a formidable military force. In the 17th century, Polish cavalry liberated Europe from the Ottoman invasion, ending a war of about a century. During World War II, cavalry was still in use

And as a matter of fact, it can be used effectively even now. The rejection of cavalry in military affairs is not practical but ideological in nature.

Equestrian peoples were very fond of their horses. They considered them not slaves but brothers, buried them with themself.
One Cossack song from the times of the civil war in the USSR contains the following words: How many times did we wait for one grave in battle? The plot of this song is about how an officer sailed from the Crimea to emigration, and he had to leave his horse on the shore, but the horse did not stay and swam after him. He had to shoot him, but he could not hit. As a result, the orderly shot the horse. I cannot listen to this song without tears.

Last edited:
wtf??????????????????

I have been reading Ru-Paul's postings more and more, and it is all gibberish.

Racist and semi-illiterate postings full of pseudoscience. And yet another agenda that is being hinted at, but nothing I have seen yet.

I would suggest just ignoring them, it is what I am doing about now. This one was the final straw, I only read a dozen or so posts, and almost every one he is making is in direct conflict with all archaeological and paleontological evidence. Then throwing in constant references to "Aryans", I think now why they are so disjointed.

There are reasons why there are laws about marriage between siblings. And after several generations of that, certain defects start to accumulate. And sometimes these defects are obvious to all. We might be seeing something like that here.

A cow and a horse live in the steppe and it is impossible to feed herds in a hungry semi-desert or forest.

Wow, you had better not tell the Mongols that. I guess those were not really horses they were riding on, but on the shoulders of people dressed up to look like horses.

Especially in this thread, you keep proving over and over again that you have absolutely no idea what you are saying.

The Cossacks and Hussars had a lot of songs about horses. Almost in every songs there is a horse

Wow, you had better not tell the Mongols that
The modern name of the Mongols refers to the Tungus of Transbaikalia, they have nothing to do with the real historical Mongols, and in their area there was not and is not horse breeding. The real Mongols were steppe dwellers of Central Asia, northern Afghanistan and India, it was the Mughal empire, and Moghulistan is modern Uyguristan (East Turkestan).

This is Bogatyr Yesugei, the father of Genghis Khan.

pochemu-vo-vremya-pravleniya-chingishana-za-myte-posudy-mogli-kaznit-1.jpg

There is no archaeological evidence that the Tungus adopted horse breeding from the Aryans, Huns or Mongols. They didn't have horse breeding
Nobody knows when this could have happened.

There were many horse-breeding peoples, known by the names of Tatars, Khazars, Dzungars, Oirats, Katai, Bulgars, Avars, Sabirs, Kipchaks, and so on, none of them belong to Tuggus

Forum List

Back