The NIH director on why Americans aren't getting healthier, despite medical advances

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Interesting interview..it seems that for some..good health takes a back seat to politics and tribalism.

It's Dr. Francis Collins' last few weeks as director of National Institutes of Health after 12 years, serving three presidents. Collins made his name doing the kind of biomedical research NIH is famous for, especially running The Human Genome Project, which fully sequenced the human genetic code. The focus on biomedicine and cures has helped him grow the agency's budget to over $40 billion a year and win allies in both political parties.
Still, in a broad sense, Americans' health hasn't improved much in those 12 years, especially compared to people in peer countries, and some have argued the agency hasn't done enough to try to turn these trends around. One recently retired NIH division director has quipped that one way to increase funding for this line of research would be if "out of every $100 dollars, $1 would be put into the 'Hey, how come nobody's healthy?' fund."
In a wide-ranging conversation, Collins answers NPR's questions as to why — for all the taxpayer dollars going to NIH research — there haven't been more gains when it comes to Americans' overall health. He also talks about how tribalism in American culture has fueled vaccine hesitancy, and he advises his successor on how to persevere on research of politically charged topics — like guns and obesity and maternal health — even if powerful lobbies might want that research not to get done.

Selena Simmons-Duffin: After you announced you'd be stepping down from the director role, you told the New York Times that one of your "chief regrets" was the persistence of vaccine hesitancy during the pandemic. How are you thinking about the role NIH could play in understanding this problem?

Francis Collins: I do think we need to understand better how — in the current climate — people make decisions. I don't think I anticipated the degree to which the tribalism of our current society would actually interfere with abilities to size up medical information and make the kinds of decisions that were going to help people.
To have now 60 million people still holding off of taking advantage of life saving vaccines is pretty unexpected. It does make me, at least, realize, boy, there are things about human behavior that I don't think we had invested enough into understanding. We basically have seen accurate medical information overtaken, all too often, by the inaccurate conspiracies and false information on social media. It's a whole other world out there. We used to think that if knowledge was made available from credible sources, it would win the day. That's not happening now.

We basically have seen accurate medical information overtaken, all too often, by the inaccurate conspiracies and false information on social media.
bullsh*t! :dev2:

The FDA has asked a federal judge to make the public wait until the year 2076 to disclose all of the data and information it relied upon to license Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine. That is not a typo. It wants 55 years to produce this information to the public.

~S~

NIH is famous for, especially running The Human Genome Project, which fully sequenced the human genetic code. The focus on biomedicine and cures has helped him grow the agency's budget to over $40 billion a year and win allies in both political parties.
1638875757867.png

~S~

As I grow older and hopefully wiser, I've become far more critical of systems. The more established and entrenched, the more I question and look around it. This includes healthcare/medicine.

Conspiracy isn't the right word, I don't buy from snake oil salesman. I do however, research multiple sources, especially as it related to health. I've shifted my views on particular subjects. I will listen to anyone, but I will confirm, search and experiment.

A prime example, growing up and consuming copious amounts of "muscle mags" and body building related literature, the common theme to put on quality mass was "many small, high protein meals throughout the day". The theory was it kept your bodies metabolism constantly working and wouldn't allow your body to go into a catabolic state and thus eat your hard earned muscle gains.

I've changed that thinking drastically, much of this due to aging and not being a gym rat anymore. Fasting is a regular activity for me and I eat larger meals less frequently. I don't stick to a strict 16/8 fasting diet as I understand how the body adapts, so I constantly alter this fasting state, number of hours, timing of meals etc.

Anyways, long as usual. Bottom line, the more ignorant or rigid people become, the more they will simply rely on the orthodoxy of the day. This may not always be the best advice for each individual.

It's completely obvious. What's making people fat is all of the food with added sugars. You know, all that crap people think is good for them because they have no idea how to read a health label. If you actually want to eat healthy you'll have to actually have discipline and make some diet sacrifices.

It's completely obvious. What's making people fat is all of the food with added sugars. You know, all that crap people think is good for them because they have no idea how to read a health label. If you actually want to eat healthy you'll have to actually have discipline and make some diet sacrifices.

The problem is marketing and processing of food. "Low fat" attracts peoples attention as it is a popular approach, not knowing that fat is just replaced with 40g of sugar.

Fat has been the dirty word for years in the health industry. Upon deeper dive and research, there are many "good fats", such as olive oil etc, but, the experts just repeat the same message.

Reading labels is important yes, but the convience of food, price restrictions and how it is all processed is a major hurdle which is very difficult to overcome.

The problem is marketing and processing of food. "Low fat" attracts peoples attention as it is a popular approach, not knowing that fat is just replaced with 40g of sugar.

Fat has been the dirty word for years in the health industry. Upon deeper dive and research, there are many "good fats", such as olive oil etc, but, the experts just repeat the same message.

Reading labels is important yes, but the convience of food, price restrictions and how it is all processed is a major hurdle which is very difficult to overcome.
When we have these conversations we need to do a better job of holding individuals accountable for themselves. Yes there are hurdles and obstacles, but it's well within any one person's power to lose weight if they have some discipline. The reality that people don't want to admit is that most of the time it's a personal failing and a lot of excuses that lead to somebody being very overweight.

Interesting interview..it seems that for some..good health takes a back seat to politics and tribalism.

It's Dr. Francis Collins' last few weeks as director of National Institutes of Health after 12 years, serving three presidents. Collins made his name doing the kind of biomedical research NIH is famous for, especially running The Human Genome Project, which fully sequenced the human genetic code. The focus on biomedicine and cures has helped him grow the agency's budget to over $40 billion a year and win allies in both political parties.
Still, in a broad sense, Americans' health hasn't improved much in those 12 years, especially compared to people in peer countries, and some have argued the agency hasn't done enough to try to turn these trends around. One recently retired NIH division director has quipped that one way to increase funding for this line of research would be if "out of every $100 dollars, $1 would be put into the 'Hey, how come nobody's healthy?' fund."
In a wide-ranging conversation, Collins answers NPR's questions as to why — for all the taxpayer dollars going to NIH research — there haven't been more gains when it comes to Americans' overall health. He also talks about how tribalism in American culture has fueled vaccine hesitancy, and he advises his successor on how to persevere on research of politically charged topics — like guns and obesity and maternal health — even if powerful lobbies might want that research not to get done.

Selena Simmons-Duffin: After you announced you'd be stepping down from the director role, you told the New York Times that one of your "chief regrets" was the persistence of vaccine hesitancy during the pandemic. How are you thinking about the role NIH could play in understanding this problem?

Francis Collins: I do think we need to understand better how — in the current climate — people make decisions. I don't think I anticipated the degree to which the tribalism of our current society would actually interfere with abilities to size up medical information and make the kinds of decisions that were going to help people.
To have now 60 million people still holding off of taking advantage of life saving vaccines is pretty unexpected. It does make me, at least, realize, boy, there are things about human behavior that I don't think we had invested enough into understanding. We basically have seen accurate medical information overtaken, all too often, by the inaccurate conspiracies and false information on social media. It's a whole other world out there. We used to think that if knowledge was made available from credible sources, it would win the day. That's not happening now.
So American are getting sicker because they have Vaccine Deficiency.

Interesting.............................

Has nothing to do with the fact that Americans eat shit tons of substances that are not even food, take shit tons of pHARMa drugs that are petroleum based and drink shit tons of water poisoned with chloramine.

It's Vaccine Deficiency.

Life and health underwriter designate here says that the life expectancy of the people born the last 5 years will be lowered. Which is a first in probably history by natural causes

This all has to do with weight weight weight....................Go to the mall and count 50 people and I guarantee you..................10 will be enormous..................15 will be huge.......15 will be hefty.......10 will have a BMI of normal

Doctors are alarmed at the rate of Type 2 diabetes and hypertension in people 19 and under and it is very troubling and problematic

Were you the one I talked about Medicare Advantage a bit ago?

I had no idea there were that many undiagnosed retards in the US.

We are simply stuffing our pie holes with a bunch of artery clogging Criscoed goo.

Then add all the alkihol and drugs in the soup

Then add all the stress that GD libturds have put on us the last 10 yrs or so, especially the mental and emotional bullshit of Covid

And there you have it, Bat Soup.

That’s hilarious. Yet another shill for big pharma.

Did he bother to mention the fact that millions of Americans eat shitty food? Food load down with sugar, chemicals, and other nefarious products. All of this is allowed by our corrupt government that not only doesn’t protect the people and the nation’s food supply, but in fact protects the food industry that is sickening Americans.

Did he bother to mention that life expectancy in the US has been falling for many years, yet we have by far the most expensive HC system in the world?

Did he bother to mention the many other treatments for curing or preventing viral infections?

Bull, the FDA is trying to hide phizers data for 55 years. Why are they so afraid for the public to look at whats in that mRNA shot? And they have the gall to complain about misinfo when they buy off all the networks to pump out a 24 hour propaganada narrative and censor debate about the the hundreds of thousands who have died and millions who have been injured. No, if people ate a good diet, they wouldn't be held hostage by these corrupt pharmas. A healthy immune system doesn't need to be pumped full of drugs.

Bull, the FDA is trying to hide phizers data for 55 years. Why are they so afraid for the public to look at whats in that mRNA shot? And they have the gall to complain about misinfo when they buy off all the networks to pump out a 24 hour propaganada narrative and censor debate about the the hundreds of thousands who have died and millions who have been injured. No, if people ate a good diet, they wouldn't be held hostage by these corrupt pharmas. A healthy immune system doesn't need to be pumped full of drugs.
The FDA wants to withhold the data from the American people for 55 years, yet they approved the Pfizer jab in 108 days. They reviewed 329,000 pages of data. “The fact that they were able to read, analyze and draw conclusions about its safety and effectiveness in just 108 days — about 80,000 pages a month — is no small miracle. They must employ some very efficient speed readers.”

You’d think more Americans would see the scam being perpetrated on them. It’s so damn obvious.

FDA Wants 55 Years To Release Covid Jab Reaction Data - LewRockwell

The FDA has asked a federal judge to make the public wait until the year 2076 to disclose all of the data and information it relied upon to license Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine. That is not a typo. It wants 55 years to produce this information to the public.

~S~

Average male life expectancy:

Japan 84 years

America 79 years

5 years ain't that much.

Vaccine hesitancy? What an arrogant little prick! Americans cannot get a vaccine made traditionally from the entire, SARS-CoV-2 virus, while Big Pharma Gestapo injects eternally-producing Chinese communist virus parts into the prisoners. A blatant disregard for the Homo sapiens genome that has not had to deal with the collective psychopathologies of vaccine-lobby-owned NIH.

‘Under Dr. Fauci’s leadership, the allergic, autoimmune, and chronic illnesses which Congress specifically charged NIAID to investigate and prevent, have mushroomed to afflict 54 percent of children, up from 12.8 percent when he too over NIAID in 1984. Dr. Fauci has offered no explanation as to why allergic diseases like asthma, eczema, food allergies, allergic rhinitis, and anaphylaxis suddenly exploded beginning in 1989, five years after he came to power.

On its website, NIAID boasts that autoimmune disease is one of the agency’s top priorities. Some 80 autoimmune diseases, including juvenile diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis, Grave’s disease and Cohn’s disease, which were practically unknown prior to 1984, suddenly became epidemic under his watch. Autism, which many scientists now consider an autoimmune disease, exploded from between 2/10,000 and 4/10,000 Americans when Tony Fauci joined NIAID, to one in thirty-four today....The human, health, and economic costs of chronic disease dwarf the costs of all infectious diseases in the United States.’
(Kennedy, The Real Anthony Fauci, pp. xxi-xxii)

Vaccine hesitancy? What an arrogant little prick! Americans cannot get a vaccine made traditionally from the entire, SARS-CoV-2 virus, while Big Pharma Gestapo injects eternally-producing Chinese communist virus parts into the prisoners. A blatant disregard for the Homo sapiens genome that has not had to deal with the collective psychopathologies of vaccine-lobby-owned NIH.

‘Under Dr. Fauci’s leadership, the allergic, autoimmune, and chronic illnesses which Congress specifically charged NIAID to investigate and prevent, have mushroomed to afflict 54 percent of children, up from 12.8 percent when he too over NIAID in 1984. Dr. Fauci has offered no explanation as to why allergic diseases like asthma, eczema, food allergies, allergic rhinitis, and anaphylaxis suddenly exploded beginning in 1989, five years after he came to power.

On its website, NIAID boasts that autoimmune disease is one of the agency’s top priorities. Some 80 autoimmune diseases, including juvenile diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis, Grave’s disease and Cohn’s disease, which were practically unknown prior to 1984, suddenly became epidemic under his watch. Autism, which many scientists now consider an autoimmune disease, exploded from between 2/10,000 and 4/10,000 Americans when Tony Fauci joined NIAID, to one in thirty-four today....The human, health, and economic costs of chronic disease dwarf the costs of all infectious diseases in the United States.’
(Kennedy, The Real Anthony Fauci, pp. xxi-xxii)
Of course! It's a huge money maker!

~S~
True. You neglected to mention that this is to protect their proprietary rights.
You are assuming some nefarious motive?

Forum List

Back