The NFL Clown Show with the so-called "black national anthem"

Oh, I did read it….and the anthem isn’t meant to be a pop song….it’s a ballad of love of this great nation.

Did you hear Chris Stapleton do it for the Super Bowl? It was moving…

Not really. It starts as a song about a guy captured on a ship looking out to see which flag is flying. That's the part we sing--"which flag is flying?"--and it ends in a question mark.

It's not unpatriotic to say we don't have a great national anthem. We did have a great nation at one point. But we don't have a great national anthem.

Lol, I like Frank Marino, especially his live rendition of King Bee…but no….

Maybe you feel nothing, because you don’t have any respect for the country…?

I have respect for the country. Our natl anthem sucks, sorry. The range is nearly two octaves. Most adults can sing a range of seven notes. It fails in singability, it fails in extoling the virtues of our nation. It ends in a question.

I know people love it because they think the MUST love it. Well, I love God a whole lot. But some songs written by humans about God also suck. The subject matter is exquisite. But the songs still suck.

Not really. It starts as a song about a guy captured on a ship looking out to see which flag is flying. That's the part we sing--"which flag is flying?"--and it ends in a question mark.

It's not unpatriotic to say we don't have a great national anthem. We did have a great nation at one point. But we don't have a great national anthem.
Simple, come up with a new one then, and sell it to the people…

What would yours be?

I have respect for the country. Our natl anthem sucks, sorry. The range is nearly two octaves. Most adults can sing a range of seven notes. It fails in singability, it fails in extoling the virtues of our nation. It ends in a question.

I know people love it because they think the MUST love it. Well, I love God a whole lot. But some songs written by humans about God also suck. The subject matter is exquisite. But the songs still suck.
Got it, you think you could do better…So, let’s have it.

Simple, come up with a new one then, and sell it to the people…

What would yours be?

America the Beautiful would be a top contender:

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet,
Whose stern, impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine,
Till all success be nobleness,
And every gain divine!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

Got it, you think you could do better…So, let’s have it.

Do you realize the tune for the SSB is based on a British drinking song? Maybe people can sing it better....when they're drunk. Or they THINK they can sing it better. Heh

I am disappointed to see this side of you Sue.

You don't have to automatically love the national anthem just because you love the nation, in the same way red, white and blue don't have to be your favorite colors and hot dogs and apple pie don't have to be your favorite food.

It's a bad song. It's okay to admit it. Singers have to jazz it up a lot because we all know: it's just a bad song. That ends in a question.

(Case in point: no great songwriter would write the high note on the word "freeeeeeee"....which is a horrible vowel to sing on. Just. No.)

You don't have to automatically love the national anthem just because you love the nation, in the same way red, white and blue don't have to be your favorite colors and hot dogs and apple pie don't have to be your favorite food.

It's a bad song. It's okay to admit it. Singers have to jazz it up a lot because we all know: it's just a bad song. That ends in a question.

(Case in point: no great songwriter would write the high note on the word "freeeeeeee"....which is a horrible vowel to sing on. Just. No.)
Some people can't separate the song from what the song represents.

Some people can't separate the song from what the song represents.

Yeah, it's very strange to me. As I cited in the thread. I love God more than anything, but some "praise songs" are just bad. Just really bad. Does me saying "this is a bad song about God" mean that God is bad, or that I love God any less? I don't think so. On the contrary, I think every song meant to worship Him should be excellent. And I believe our nation deserves an excellent anthem. But this is wrong somehow.

It would be like if someone said, "The wedding was lovely but the food was bad", and the answer is, "you can't say the food was bad if the wedding was lovely."

"Yeah, but the food WAS bad."

"The food couldn't be bad if it was served at a lovely wedding."

And etc. I just don't get it.

The level of divisiveness continues, from the NFL to big corporations to the Democratic Party.

MLK holiday, black history month, and the even dumber juneteenth that is now a national holiday (a day that has no meaning outside of black slaves in Texas being informed by a Union General that Lincoln freed them), to reparation demands, now this.

We have ONE National Anthem, screw the NFL, and the rest of the dividers.

The level of divisiveness is coming from right wing Republican racists like you. Dividing ordinary Americans from trash like you would be a good thing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with MLK Day, black history month or even Juneteenth. We celebrate whites. What is wrong with honoring blacks. Given what we have done to them, that is the least we can do. Take your racist ass and take a long walk off of a short pier.

By the way. No one is claiming it is a second national anthem. It has been considered the black national anthem. It talks about a love of freedom and liberty. It should be unifying but white trash like you want to stir up hate.

Last edited:
Hate to burst your balloon but Chris Stapleton has said that black lives do matter. He made that comment after the death of George Floyd.

Why would I be offended by that comment? Maybe you have confused me with another Canadian, civil liberties are the most important issue for me and I believe wholeheartedly in accountability for anyone who abuses them. Check my posting history if you so please.

Forum List

Back