The Myth of the Unpaid College Athlete

This is analogous to an employee who works making a patented or proprietary product (very profitable), but is still well paid. So what?

NCAA athletes are extremely well paid. Make the same analysis for one of the other sports where the time commitment is only half of what it is for football. The hourly rate doubles (scholarship has the same value).
When 100,000 people pay $120 a ticket to watch that employee do his job, $45,000 a year does not seem that generous

The kid on a swimming scholarship is getting a bargain

Take any individual player on the football team and replace them with somebody else. How many fewer butts are in the stands? I'd venture to say "zero". So while yes Johnny or whomever plays on the team-are the fans really there to see Johnny or is it to really see the team as a whole?

Also Johnny gets tuition, per diem, room+board, etc.

They do NOT get per diem. I don't know where you got such a stupid idea. That is what the athletes want. If they go out to a restaurant, Mommy and/or Daddy pays.
Don’t they get per diem for road games?

Yes they do.

This is analogous to an employee who works making a patented or proprietary product (very profitable), but is still well paid. So what?

NCAA athletes are extremely well paid. Make the same analysis for one of the other sports where the time commitment is only half of what it is for football. The hourly rate doubles (scholarship has the same value).
When 100,000 people pay $120 a ticket to watch that employee do his job, $45,000 a year does not seem that generous

Take any individual player on the football team and replace them with somebody else. How many fewer butts are in the stands? I'd venture to say "zero". So while yes Johnny or whomever plays on the team-are the fans really there to see Johnny or is it to really see the team as a whole?

They do NOT get per diem. I don't know where you got such a stupid idea. That is what the athletes want. If they go out to a restaurant, Mommy and/or Daddy pays.

They get per diem for road games. I don't know where you got such a stupid idea.

Good financial analysis.

But it leaves off the financial end of the equation. These players fill a 100,000 seat stadium ($120 a ticket) and make Ohio State and the Big 10 massive TV revenue. They also contribute to the “Brand” of OSU in alumni contributions, OSU merchandise and student enrollment.

I can see both sides of the argument, however the ones that entirely dismiss the value of the education are not being honest.

Also the opinion of anyone who leaves early to go the NFL is not worth much as they are by CHOICE leaving early to make the NFL level money.

This is mostly about football, as football has the highest time commitment. Basketball players have more time to at least try to focus on academics and make use of the scholarships they are getting.

Why do you think football has the greatest time commitment?

It's the most complicated sport with the largest roster.

Very true and we're off on a tangent here but that doesn't mean it's the hardest to play. Ice hockey is much more difficult.

"Difficult" is entirely subjective.

Of course it is subjective to an extent. But it's easier to serve a volleyball than it is to hit a fastball. ESPN did a study years ago to rank the most difficult sports to play. They broke it down into tons of categories and ice hockey was the second most difficult sport (Boxing being first).

According to ESPN? :lol:

Good financial analysis.

But it leaves off the financial end of the equation. These players fill a 100,000 seat stadium ($120 a ticket) and make Ohio State and the Big 10 massive TV revenue. They also contribute to the “Brand” of OSU in alumni contributions, OSU merchandise and student enrollment.

I can see both sides of the argument, however the ones that entirely dismiss the value of the education are not being honest.

Also the opinion of anyone who leaves early to go the NFL is not worth much as they are by CHOICE leaving early to make the NFL level money.

This is mostly about football, as football has the highest time commitment. Basketball players have more time to at least try to focus on academics and make use of the scholarships they are getting.

Very true and we're off on a tangent here but that doesn't mean it's the hardest to play. Ice hockey is much more difficult.

Of course it is subjective to an extent. But it's easier to serve a volleyball than it is to hit a fastball. ESPN did a study years ago to rank the most difficult sports to play. They broke it down into tons of categories and ice hockey was the second most difficult sport (Boxing being first).

So you think it's subjective that serving a volleyball is easier than hitting a fastball?

Good financial analysis.

So you think it's subjective that serving a volleyball is easier than hitting a fastball?
The more apt comparison would be returning a serve, and of course it would depend on who is serving or who is throwing the fastball. It is in fact subjective.

They get per diem for road games. I don't know where you got such a stupid idea.

Once again you prove your inability to read, dumbass.

Once again you prove your inability to read, dumbass.

Looks like you were wrong about per diem

Good financial analysis.

And not all of them are getting a free ride

Forum List

Back