the most humiliating defeat in modern warfare history !!

i am talking about a full scale war not a battle !! and when the aggressors are the ones that are defeated so quickly that adds to the humiliation !!

Then, I'd think the Chinese-Vietnam war in 1979, the India-Pakistan war of 1971 and the Falklands War between Great Britain and Argentina in 1982 would also be candidates.

Napoleon's advance and retreat into russa?

At nearly half a million strong, the Grande Armée marched through Western Russia

When the remnants of Napoleon's army crossed the Berezina River in November, only 27,000 fit soldiers remained; the Grand Armée had lost some 380,000 men dead and 100,000 captured.[9]

Death or captured rate of his entire invading army? 94.6%

I cannot think of ANY major invasion with such losses.

If I've overlook one, please let me know.

Napoleon's advance and retreat into russa?

At nearly half a million strong, the Grande Armée marched through Western Russia

When the remnants of Napoleon's army crossed the Berezina River in November, only 27,000 fit soldiers remained; the Grand Armée had lost some 380,000 men dead and 100,000 captured.[9]

Death or captured rate of his entire invading army? 94.6%

I cannot think of ANY major invasion with such losses.

If I've overlook one, please let me know.

The early 1800's are hardly modern military.

Some might say, if your talking tactical as well as strategic, the sad turn of events in Somalia very negatively affected the image of the US military capacity.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
Sorry, your link doesn't work.

Most humiliating? The British surrender of Singapore to the Japs.

That's right. The surrender of the American/Philippine Army under MacArthur is probably the most humiliating in American history.

Yes, probably so as it was the only surrender in the field by an American army that I can think of right offhand, except for Confederate armies at the end of the Civil War.

For the Brits, Gen. Burgoyne's surrender to the rebels at Saratoga has to rank as one of, if not THE, most humiliating defeat in their history.

But, this thread is really about the 6 Day War, which was a humiliating defeat for the Arabs. However, I would hasten to point out that the Israeli invasion of Lebanon in 2006 (called the July War in Lebanon) was equally as humiliating for the IDF. They achieved none of their goals and, though the Israeli's spin it as a "victory," in reality it was the first time anyone had ever defeated the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF).

There are a number of reasons why the IDF failed to defeat Hisbollah which I won't go into here (though I must note they were apparently receiving military advice from the same American "geniuses" who planned Iraq), but the bottom line is that the war raised the stature of Hizbollah to new and unprecedented heights and it destroyed forever the aura of invincibility around the IDF. Militarily, Hizbollah's victory was pretty much inconsequential, but politically and morally, it was a catastrophe for Israel.

Some might say, if your talking tactical as well as strategic, the sad turn of events in Somalia very negatively affected the image of the US military capacity.

So did Lebanon. One successful attack and we turned tail and ran.

How about the chinook helicopter that was shot down in 2011? Killing 31 US Soldiers (mostly DEVGRU NAVY seals).....well 30 if you dont count the dog.

You could include Korea. The US had the war won in a year with the brilliant Inchon landing. UN forces (the US) pushed the NK invaders back across the 38th parallel and even captured the NK capital of Pongyang. The smart move would have been to disarm the NK and draw a line from Pongyang to Wonson harbor and go home. Somehow MacArthur managed to convince Truman to use ill-equipped exhausted Troops in a march to the Yalu river in the beginning of winter in an area known for the harshest winters on the planet. China warned the US not to approach the Yalu river or they would enter the war and MacArthur disregarded the warning. As a result the US forces walked into the biggest ambush in history. If it wasn't for Marine generals like Puller and Smith it could have been worse but we lost 38,000 Troops in three years and settled for humiliating truce terms dictated by the NK and we are still paying for it today.

I don't know if you count the liberal Democrats vs. conservative Republicans as political warfare, or religious holy wars,

but the ruling by the Supreme Court where Judge Roberts let the ACA slide
was such a unfathomable betrayal of public trust and loss to the GOP, that I was equally at a loss as Constitutionalist, and I'm a progressive Democrat! That's how bad that was, that I even agreed that passing that bill as "constitutional" by the letter was way out of line with the spirit of the laws and govt. I felt all of America was at a loss, and still worry how much work it will take to correct what is wrong with that bill and the abuse of govt to pass it.

The media was in a bind about Korea. They saw that it was a Military adventure sponsored by the president and not sanctioned by congress. The media saw that the president apparently had a character flaw which made him unable to deal with a general and they saw that Americans died needlessly in an ego trip by a possibly age related mentally impaired commanding general. The president was a democrat and the general was an icon so they called Korea "the forgotten war" and walked away from the criminal mismanagement.

How about the First day on the Somme for the British Army in World War 1?
"It is remembered as the bloodiest day in the history of the British Army when 57,470 men became casualties, of whom 19,240 were killed or died of wounds."
First day on the Somme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was a defeat for the British Army in the sense that all the casualties they incurred resulted in no military advantage at the end of that day.

The most humiliating defeat in modern warfare history? Modern Warfare history? I don't think things went so well for Saddam, and Baghdad Bob. If anyone knows about Modern Warfare, then they know the most one-sided victory in the History of Modern Warfare was the Battle of 73 Easting.

That was due in large part to the superior weaponry the U.S. had over the Iraqis

The Battle of San Jacinto (though not 'modern') was much more impressive to me.

i still have to say the 6 day war ..can you imagine the humiliation for the mid east countries that attacked a tiny country and got their asses kicked in less than a week and then lost territory to boot !!! i am not talking about one battle i am talking about an all out war in which the antagonists were not only defeated and lost territory in 6 days !!

The surrender of Singapore is among the great humiliations in military history. Brits had the men, the equipment and the rank and file will. What they didn't have was leadership.

MacArthur bailing out of the Philippines isn't even in the same world of cowardly leadership, although it is well within the world of doubtful leadership.

Nothing that has happened in the Levant in the last 800 years is even relevant to the discussion of significant military humiliations.

Half of the Islamic world? it was like 6 countries dick head.:eusa_hand:
the most powerful Islamic countries of the middle east !! does their defeat offend you leftist sensibilities
??

Israel kicked their fucking asses, that part is true, but Israel was hardly fighting "half the Islamic world" like your dumb ass said. Do you know how many Islamic countries there are?:cuckoo:

More than 21 - which is why he can't count that high........

Forum List

Back